Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
At least you didn't have to cut it off what a pita! maybe a plate welded in and a ruffstuff lanyard mount or something among those lines. when i did mine for the steering, i ended up cutting the section of frame out that the mount is on then made a double shear bracket for it

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's scary.
Why the double stabilizers? Have you had issues with wobble previously?

Hey - previous owner installed them - i personally would prefer stock cos it's a bit too close to the radiator for my liking! - full stuff might touch...

Edit: experienced my first death wobble sans-track bar because one of my ratchet straps loosened up on a speed bump on the 30km drive from the dunes to the workshop scared the crap outta me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Hey - previous owner installed them - i personally would prefer stock cos it's a bit too close to the radiator for my liking! -
Remove one of them, the second stabilizer is doing nothing useful. What it is doing is making your power steering system work harder. On a hot day on a trail with a lot of turns, that could cause the PS system to have to work so hard that it overheats. When that happens, you pretty well lose much of your steering until it cools.

·
Commercial Member
7,879 Posts
Hey - previous owner installed them - i personally would prefer stock cos it's a bit too close to the radiator for my liking! - full stuff might touch...

Edit: experienced my first death wobble sans-track bar because one of my ratchet straps loosened up on a speed bump on the 30km drive from the dunes to the workshop scared the crap outta me!

I was hoping the straps were a Trailside - get it to a trailer - repair.
Extremely unsafe to drive on public roads like that.

If anything happens to a track bar, drag link, or tie rod, you lose all control of your steering and could kill someone.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping the straps were a Trailside - get it to a trailer - repair.
Extremely unsafe to drive on public roads like that.

If anything happens to a track bar, drag link, or tie rod, you lose all control of your steering and could kill someone.

I agree - not ideal - was driving very carefully and slowly to get it back to have repairs done - had another chase vehicle to keep other vehicles away and we kept to the side of the highway - essentially limped it home. We were aware of the risks and slowed to a crawl when we approached populated areas/let traffic pass. Stopped every 5 or so km to check strap tension.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remove one of them, the second stabilizer is doing nothing useful. What it is doing is making your power steering system work harder. On a hot day on a trail with a lot of turns, that could cause the PS system to have to work so hard that it overheats. When that happens, you pretty well lose much of your steering until it cools.

Didn't think about that but it makes sense! Will one alone be sufficient? They are somewhat smaller in diameter compared to stock (essentially 2 mini dampers) but I agree with the fluid overheat issue in hot wx - its been known to kill many a steering pump here...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Didn't think about that but it makes sense! Will one alone be sufficient?
In looking at the photo, they look like standard dampers to me. Yep, I'd get rid of the rear-most damper. That's the one likely to cause an interference problem right?

Not to mention you can actually drive without a steering damper (stabilizer) so one is enough, even if it might seem smaller than stock. Though it looks to be standard size.

·
Commercial Member
7,879 Posts
I agree - not ideal - was driving very carefully and slowly to get it back to have repairs done - had another chase vehicle to keep other vehicles away and we kept to the side of the highway - essentially limped it home. We were aware of the risks and slowed to a crawl when we approached populated areas/let traffic pass. Stopped every 5 or so km to check strap tension.

Glad you made it safely!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In looking at the photo, they look like standard dampers to me. Yep, I'd get rid of the rear-most damper. That's the one likely to cause an interference problem right?

Not to mention you can actually drive without a steering damper (stabilizer) so one is enough, even if it might seem smaller than stock. Though it looks to be standard size.

Will give it a go - thanks for the suggestion :) - btw didn't risk putting that psf-4 power steering mopar stuff in - bought some proline power steering fluid from pepboys in LA last time I was there n brought it back in my suitcase - swapped fluids and feel better cos the old fluid was very discoloured and likely the wrong stuff - dark reddish instead of almost clear

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Will give it a go - thanks for the suggestion :) - btw didn't risk putting that psf-4 power steering mopar stuff in - bought some proline power steering fluid from pepboys in LA last time I was there n brought it back in my suitcase - swapped fluids and feel better cos the old fluid was very discoloured and likely the wrong stuff - dark reddish instead of almost clear
What model year is your TJ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts