Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago I bought a new battery, yesterday I had to get jumped twice, today I had to get jumped 5 times, and eventually it got to a point where my battery was so dead that it wouldn't even power the fuel pump without being connected to someone else's battery. Then I was driving and it just shut off. Lost all power to everything. Hooked it up to cables and it took a minute or two of charging but then it would crank over again. Does this sound like a faulty alternator? I'm running a 92 4.0 with an hei distributor and a Holley carb.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If the alternator was working and the wiring is good, once the jeep is running the alternator should keep it running. You may have a bad alternator, or you may have bad wiring, either way your alternetor is not able to run the jeep and charge the battery.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the alternator on a stock 92 4.0 go through the ecm before it charges the battery?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alternator tested good at Oreilly's. I think we have narrowed it down to a faulty voltage regulator. Since the computer has been bypassed, does the alternator feed power through the ecm before going back to charge the battery? If the voltage regulator was faulty could it have symptoms similar to this?

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Boy oh Boy!! One thing after another.

It could be a faulty regulator, or it could be that since the computer is bypassed it no longer regulates power from the alternator to your battery. I am unsure just how your setup works.
Carburated stock YJs (like mine) have an integral regulator within the alternator. You may ned to find a regulator to work with your alternator, or find a early alternator. I am unsure what to recommend to you. Hopefully, other more knowledgable posters will chime in. Do you have a separate regulator?

An outside item to check is the wire that runs from your alternator to your battery (or power center). It could be corroded within the plastic insulation or the ends could be loose.

You can charge your battery overnight and run your Jeep for quite a long time as long (a couple hours) as you don't use your lights or radio.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
current: 07 JKUR previous: totaled 93 yj after new engine and tranny perfect timing!
162 Posts
Try this it's free....

Get a piece of wood like a 2x4 as an extension and strike the alternator with a hammer a few times. If you're alternator starts working it's the brushes sticking.
If it works the alternator is in borrowed time unless you can rebuild it (I always just get a reman)
This just happened to me on the wife's van I pulled it and had it tested and all was good like you stated... Same scenario.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
on a 92 the regulator is in the computer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will the alternator from an 87 bolt right on in place of my stock 5684 alternator from my 92?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
No it will not. the older 4.2's use an alternator same as a GM, I think you is like a Nipideno < spelling is wrong, or Bosch.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Google "Quick Start Alternators" or "external voltage regulator conversion kit".
I am guessing the root of all your past problems might be your computer. You now have a HEI and a carb, so the next thing to buy is an external voltage regulator. I would expect that to cure your charging problems if your alternator is good like the parts counterman at O'Riellys said. Hopefully you will then have only the regular problemsthat we all get from time to time.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Yeah, your 92 alternator is regulated by the computer. No an internally regulated alternator will not just plug and play. You will need to get an earlier 4.2L mount for the Delco-Remy style alternator and then wire it in to your system. Its not terribly hard. I did it on my externally regulated CJ 5.

You need to retrofit an 89-90 YJ system with the serpentine belt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts