Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the the full-width Smitty bumper that was on my Jeep when I bought it doesn't look so hot (IMO) with the MCE fenders. I think I want to go with a mid or stubby type bumper, but there is such a myriad of options I don't even know where to start... My requirements are that it needs to accommodate a winch and at least a pair of lights or light bar. Accepting the OEM fog lights would be a nice bonus.

Anyone have pics of their rig with MCE "factory width" fenders and a bumper they really like? Thanks!

·
Registered
996 Posts
I’m running a Genright stubby with MCE OE width flares. The winch fits low, between the frame rails. The bumper does not accommodate the factory fog lights. I wired that switch to a pair of 6” round auxiliary lights.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m running a Genright stubby with MCE OE width flares. The winch fits low, between the frame rails. The bumper does not accommodate the factory fog lights. I wired that switch to a pair of 6” round auxiliary lights.
View attachment 4503846
That looks great. Hard to tell from the pic, but does it have a skid plate that covers the “crash bar”? Also did you have to relo the vacuum pump? The lights mount to existing holes in the top plate? Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Registered
123 Posts
All of the stubby bumpers look pretty similar, and I’d go with that form over the mid width for the fenders in your pic. I’d say the bigger question is “Aluminum or steel?”

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the stubby bumpers look pretty similar, and I’d go with that form over the mid width for the fenders in your pic. I’d say the bigger question is “Aluminum or steel?”
Yea I like the idea of aluminum but actually the weight on the front can be beneficial considering I am sometimes carrying ~
400+ lbs of bumper, tire, and Jerry cans on the back. Climbing steep inclines seems a lot less sketchy with some weight up front.

Other considerations for me (other than aesthetics) are recessed winch, light mounts, D-ring tabs or recovery points, a “crash bar” cover/skid plate, whether or not I need to relocate the vacuum pump, etc. there’s actually quite a lot of differences out there.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Registered
996 Posts
That looks great. Hard to tell from the pic, but does it have a skid plate that covers the “crash bar”? Also did you have to relo the vacuum pump? The lights mount to existing holes in the top plate? Thanks again

It covers the crash bar.

I have a 2010 so I did not have to relocate a vacuum pump. I seem to recall it came with a bracket for that, which I did not use.

I mounted the lights to an EVO bracket that lines up with the fairlead slot and bolts. My winch is off center so I used the asymmetrical bracket, but EVO (and others) make a centered one too.

·
Registered
2013 JKU sport
142 Posts
Check out he Metalcloak Frame-Built #1200. Almost went with it myself but… also almost went with MCE OE’s but changed to the KBD’s last minute

1 - 8 of 8 Posts