Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to trash our beloved vehicle, but this was in the news today.

I choose to see it as a positive, even if it further delays JL delivery while we enjoy JKs:

Fiat Chrysler to recall 1.25 million trucks for software glitch linked to one crash death

To me this says to FCA management, or at least I hope, "the Wrangler is your cash cow. Don't screw it up. People won't remember, in the long run, a delayed delivery by 2 months of the new JL product, but they will remember if it, when introduced, was a mechanical flop."

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
This has nothing to even do with Wrangler?

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,655 Posts
It might though.
Was at the dealer today getting oil changed (I live in a loft downtown and I am too f-ing old to do it on the ground!)...

Asked them to flash DLR for Day Time Running lights for me. Afterwards I was told the entire Chrysler system was down for updates. They could run error codes (had them check mine for stored codes) but that was it.

Said it will be back online next week and drop in and they would take care of it for me. If I were a betting man, I am guessing them are verifying all updates are correct across all platforms.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're saying that today's recalled vehicle shares little in the way of commonality with the Wrangler, I whole heartedly agree.

My point is that the umbrella company (FCA) might be even more energized in its other vehicle lineups to make sure such things don't happen, particular with the Wrangler.

·
Registered
694 Posts
"Fiat Chrysler has been working to move faster to address vehicle issues after being fined twice in 2015 by the NHTSA.

In December 2015, the company was fined $70 million for failing to report vehicle crash deaths and injuries since 2003.

In July 2015, Fiat Chrysler agreed to a $105 million settlement with NHTSA for mishandling nearly two dozen recall campaigns involving 11 million vehicles."

They aren't building better vehicles, just protecting their ass. FCA gives no shits about quality any further than they just don't want it back in the dealer all the time for warranty work. FCA will continue to do the minimum to maximize profit like all large companies. Is the 2017 JK a better rig than a 1981 CJ8? Depends who you ask, but sitting aside the differences that technology brought to the party I'd say no. The CJ8 got about 17-20mpg, my JK gets 17-20mpg. Was it more dependable, well probably not, but they didn't break down every day either. I personally think the new Jeeps aren't better, just technology improved to make things easier. You know for the fatter lazier generations, LOL.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
lmfao. Chrysler and "better" are 2 words that will never ever go together my friend
I agree. It's unfortunate that FCA is the only company that makes anything like a Wrangler. If you could easily remove the doors and roof from an FJ Cruiser, that's what I'd be driving instead. My Wrangler is fun, don't get me wrong, but there are still so many quality and reliability issues.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
FCA, as a corporation, exists to strip Jeep and Ram of their profits, in order to keep alive the delusional fantasies of Sergio Marchionne: Alfa Romeo, Fiat, and Lancia.

The sooner Jeep is sold off to a viable auto company, the better. Ford gets my vote since they built them during WW2.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Mercedes did the same then sold off Jeep. I'll bet If they knew how well the JK / JKU market they created was gonna take off they never would have sold out. Ford would likely do the same thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts