Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Too bad Jeep doesn't adopt using the ABS system sensors to determine tire inflation anomalies. Would get rid of those blasted Radio Frequency (RF) tire TPMS modules at ~$100+ a set. :blackeye

VW and Audi, possibly others, have sucessfully used the vehicle's ABS sensors for many years to determine under inflated tires without any additional hardware/systems, tire transmitters, or batteries to install/replace.

Blindly simple concept - think about it - an under-inflated tire has a smaller rotating diameter/higher rotating speed, an over-inflated tire has a larger rotating diameter, lower rotational speed.

ABS systems are excellent at/based upon tracking and reacting to rotation speed differentials/anomalies... :bop:

The EU mandated ABS back in 2004, NHTSA mandated ABS and electronic stability control systems in the USA in 2013. The systems are out there in vehicles ready for integration and use with no additional hardware (and no need for annoying TPMS modules).

Reactions: 15JKUR

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm sure they do it for the $$. They can charge for the sensors and for the "extra feature" of being able to see the individual tire pressure (if you have EVIC), can't do that with the abs sensor.

I would much rather have them use the abs sensor as well...then I would keep TPMS with my beadlocks.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
individual pressures

I'm sure they do it for the $$. They can charge for the sensors and for the "extra feature" of being able to see the individual tire pressure (if you have EVIC), can't do that with the abs sensor.

I would much rather have them use the abs sensor as well...then I would keep TPMS with my beadlocks.

Yeah - I was going to mention the individual pressure readings the RF systems offer in my OP.

In practice if I get an ABS sourced pressure warning in the "Bad Boy" TDi (incredible vehicles/engines, we love diesels BTW), :tomatoes: we pull over and check the tires with a quality pressure gauge - if it's not already obvious from a visual inspection. The ABS system works very well and I've been alerted to a few "nailed/drywall screwed" tires that were leaking pressure.

We also carry a quality 12v portable compressor (a Jeeping habit) - if it's a slow leak, to avoid a potentially dangerous roadside tire change we can re-air up the tire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts