Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new to the forum and to Jeep setups and what not. So pardon my ignorance. I have done some reading and think I have a perfect setup for what we both might want for the wife’s Jeep. But I need a little feedback.

It’s the wifes daily driver and my weekend fun car. I work from home.
She doesn’t want to jump to get into her car. She is 5’2 lets say.

The highest I want to go on a lift is 2.5 (AEV). BUT… I don’t want to put the $ into the lift if I don’t need to.. I am not rock crawling and such. Just a little sand and gravel from the road to a camp site 40 min away. That’s the most it will see.

Below are my plans... If I must spend the extra money to keep her jeep dependable I will.

2013 JK Sahara
Wheels AEV Savegre 17x8.5 / 4.7 backspacing
315/70/17 Duratracs (35”)
Bushwacker Flat Style fenders (To help with fender rub)
Either a new rear bumper with tire carrier or a HighRock 4x4™ Oversize Tire Carrier

My two main concerns:

1st = Is the HighRock 4x4™ Oversize Tire Carrier a good option? Do they really do the job? Or should I spend the extra $ on a bumper with its own tire carrier?

2nd = Without adding the 2.5 AEV lift what kind of problems will I see with the above setup?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
619 Posts
Welcome to the "club"; you just killed some kittens calling a Jeep a "car"...that's a real no-no.

Why do you assume that you need 35s to drive down gravel and sand roads? Have you ever driven a stock Wrangler? Honestly, a base Wranger with the little dinky street tires will go places your BMW X-5 never dreams of going. BTW, if you put a 2.5" lift and 35s on that thing she is not going to be able to get in without a step stool. She won't like it too much as a daily driver, 'cause it's going to be noisy and rough on those big tires, and handle like a pig in that Orange County traffic....or are you just building it up for a certain "look"?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I know "car" is just a general term I used I guess. No thought behind it at all

We had a JK-S for over a year or so. I might even go down to 33's after doing some more reading. But most people I talk to say 33's look small on the 4 door. Jeeps simply look better with bigger tires. I already have the wheels and fenders on the way. Its just a matter of tire size and lift...

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I know I know "car" is just a general term I used I guess. No thought behind it at all

We had a JK-S for over a year or so. I might even go down to 33's after doing some more reading. But most people I talk to say 33's look small on the 4 door. Jeeps simply look better with bigger tires. I already have the wheels and fenders on the way. Its just a matter of tire size and lift...
The tire size will have a direct effect on how your Jeep runs on the freeway. If you've got 3.73 gears, you'll notice a little power loss in high gear running 35" tires. This is amplified by an automatic. Generally, trying to pass slower traffic on the freeway, and going up hills on the freeway, will cause your auto to hunt and peck for the proper gear. You might have to turn OD off.

If you've got 3.21 gears, it will be even worse. Again, generally, you won't find high gear of much use at all on the freeway, except on long, flat stretches of road, or going downhill.

This whole gearing thing is largely subjective; some peeps run 35's on their Jeeps with 3.21 gears and think it's fabulous. Others, not so much.

The Bestop tire carrier you're looking at is essentially a rebranded version of the Smittybilt Oversize Tire Carrier. Works fine for 35" tires to a degree...I wouldn't trust it over the long term if you're gonna bang around off-road. If, as you say, you're looking at sand/gravel road use, you should be fine. Make sure you snug the spare up tight against the bumpstops (you'll need new ones, due to the difference in backspacing on the wheels) so there's no "bounce" to it when you drive.

I used the Smittybilt version of the oversize tire carrier for about 9 months, and it was okay. No rattle, kept the tire tight against tailgate. BUT, I did take the spare off and carry it in the back of my Jeep when I wheeled. Up to you.

As for running 35" tires with flatties and no lift, you might get some rubbing, regardless. On-road you'll be fine, but off-road – depending on what you run into – it's kind've a toss-up. I'd look into something like the AEV 2" leveling kit if I were you; a lift with shocks/springs is gonna ride much harsher than the stock setup, which will likely tenderize the little lady's kidneys on long trips.

Some other potential issues with running 35's: some folks disagree with this, but I'd strongly recommend having your front axle C's reinforced, so they don't get bent by the heavier tires. More subjectivity, here. It might never become an issue, but I bet you'd be pissed if you had to buy a new front axle cuz you installed tires purely for looks, but didn't account for the Wrangler's weak C's.

Also, some folks with 35's find it necessary to trim their pinch seams. Not a big job, but it does entail minor surgery on your Jeep's sheet metal.

Personally, if I were in your situation, intending to use the Jeep the way you described, I'd do this: ditch the flatties, 35's, lift and tire carrier.

Go with 33's and a TF leveling kit, which will remove regearing as a possibility, and save some of the Wrangler's already pathetic mpg's, as well as retain the fairly soft stock ride.

Use the $$ you saved (and will save on potential future problems) to stubby the front bumper, replace your stock headlights (which suck), add a small winch, some grab handles, floor liners and seat covers, a set of windshield mounted Rigid Dually LED lights, a Tuffy concealed carry box, and a fastback-style soft top such as the Trektop NX.

Whatever you decide to do, don't turn the Jeep into a rolling problem; they're made for fun, not constant worry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pooty said:
I am a new to the forum and to Jeep setups and what not. So pardon my ignorance. I have done some reading and think I have a perfect setup for what we both might want for the wife’s Jeep. But I need a little feedback.

It’s the wifes daily driver and my weekend fun car. I work from home.
She doesn’t want to jump to get into her car. She is 5’2 lets say.

The highest I want to go on a lift is 2.5 (AEV). BUT… I don’t want to put the $ into the lift if I don’t need to.. I am not rock crawling and such. Just a little sand and gravel from the road to a camp site 40 min away. That’s the most it will see.

Below are my plans... If I must spend the extra money to keep her jeep dependable I will.

2013 JK Sahara
Wheels AEV Savegre 17x8.5 / 4.7 backspacing
315/70/17 Duratracs (35”)
Bushwacker Flat Style fenders (To help with fender rub)
Either a new rear bumper with tire carrier or a HighRock 4x4™ Oversize Tire Carrier

My two main concerns:

1st = Is the HighRock 4x4™ Oversize Tire Carrier a good option? Do they really do the job? Or should I spend the extra $ on a bumper with its own tire carrier?

2nd = Without adding the 2.5 AEV lift what kind of problems will I see with the above setup?

Thanks guys
Hi, I think I can help. My husband and I had same situation. I am 5'2 as well, and it is my daily driver. I ordered JKU 2013. We optioned the 3.73 gears, knowing we were going to put bigger tires. We did 33 Duratrac , 295/65/18 =33. 2.5 level in front 1.75 in the back. As this may look small to others , it looks great in person. Changed the ride because the tires are heavier , but overall still great ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts