Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done grinding down the rest of the brackets on my new 8.8. This weekend I will probably hit it with a sanding disc/flap wheel. Next weekend I will be getting some calipers and brake pads, and then doing the swap, should be exciting. :punk:

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
im working on an 8.8 now too. mines got drums though :(

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Nice man, sounds tank.
Wish I had the skill/time/money/tools to do that.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Nice man, sounds tank.
Wish I had the skill/time/money/tools to do that.
Really for what you get and how straight foreward it is, you could def do it. Just need some electric power tools. Some time, and some basic knowledge of an automobile! And hand tools of course.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yea I am hoping after or even during college I can get myself more involved and educated about this sort of stuff.
Deff. Interesting and something I would love to do.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Really for what you get and how straight foreward it is, you could def do it. Just need some electric power tools. Some time, and some basic knowledge of an automobile! And hand tools of course.
That includes a welder doesn't it? That's what kills it for me :(

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link cavey. I know Im going to get a lot of heat for this, but I am going to be using the stock brackets. I know this is not IDEAL but I really cant afford to spring on new mounts at the moment. What I may consider doing is boxing some of the brackets in, such as the control arm brackets to increase their strength some.

But like most of the people have said u just need the time and basic knowledge. At this point, all it has taken me is a grinder, some grinding wheels, some cutoff wheels, and a BFH. So if you can run those, you can do a big portion of the work. It does need welding (which I cannot do) but I have a friend that is going to help me tack the brackets into place. Then we are going to take it down the street to a friend to weld it for me and weld the tubes, because my buddy helping me tack it only has a little 110 MIG.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Thanks for the link cavey. I know Im going to get a lot of heat for this, but I am going to be using the stock brackets. I know this is not IDEAL but I really cant afford to spring on new mounts at the moment. What I may consider doing is boxing some of the brackets in, such as the control arm brackets to increase their strength some.

But like most of the people have said u just need the time and basic knowledge. At this point, all it has taken me is a grinder, some grinding wheels, some cutoff wheels, and a BFH. So if you can run those, you can do a big portion of the work. It does need welding (which I cannot do) but I have a friend that is going to help me tack the brackets into place. Then we are going to take it down the street to a friend to weld it for me and weld the tubes, because my buddy helping me tack it only has a little 110 MIG.
I think if you box up the stock brackets with some good quality steel, you'll be alright. There are companies that make steel pieces to beef up the stock brackets. You could just copy that idea. Keep us posted and don't forget the pics!! :D

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think if you box up the stock brackets with some good quality steel, you'll be alright. There are companies that make steel pieces to beef up the stock brackets. You could just copy that idea. Keep us posted and don't forget the pics!! :D
That was my thinking, what gave me the idea was the JKS skids that they make for the control arm brackets that you are supposed to just weld on. I figured if I did something similar it would increase the strength overall. I think I have some leftover 1/4" plate that we should be able to do something with. You wouldnt happen to have a link to those kind of brackets for some ideas?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm in the middle of my 8.8 swap and it's definitely a chore, but I'm excited about it. Anyone that is looking to do it but doesn't think they have to knowledge needs to reconsider. There are three million swap guides that walkthrough on how to swap axles and everything that's needed. That K2J kit is complete with all the parts. It's basically grinding down the axles, servicing the differential if necessary, rebuilding the brakes, welding the brackets, and painting. Then you just drop the old D35 and put the 8.8 right in. Screw in the brake lines and you're good to go.

The most difficult part is the welding if you're not a welder. I'm not, but I've got a local shop that's going to help me out with the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts