Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just got will JKUWW late last week. I much prefer the body colored flares, but they are not available, so I bought a set off a fellow on Craigslist who also just bought his and stuck on some after market ones.

I was going to ask the local dealer to install them for me because i just moved back to the states from Germany and I do not even have a screw driver so far.
They said it would take at least 4 hours. They also said they had to use double sided tape, which I think is totally wrong.
Is it right that that fenders are held on only with plastic rivets and retaining clips?

Does anyone know where I can get the plastic rivets? They are very expensive at the dealer. It would like 250$ for a full set!! Way too much.

Also, how do you install plastic rivets? Is there a special kind of rivet gun for those?

Any tips would be great.

·
Commercial Member
287 Posts
Be a lot cheaper to buy some tools and do it yourself, there are youtube videos on how to install aftermarket ones. Which some will show you how to remove the old ones

I have no idea about the rivets.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Unless I am missing something you shouldn't need any. They are already on your Jeep. I assume the painted fenders are attached the same way. Search you tube. Your fenders should pull off leaving the tabs behind. Stick something thin behind the tabs on both sides and they should pop out! Once you get them off my explanation would sound a little clearer. The front fender has one bolt to remove

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless I am missing something you shouldn't need any. They are already on your Jeep. I assume the painted fenders are attached the same way. Search you tube. Your fenders should pull off leaving the tabs behind. Stick something thin behind the tabs on both sides and they should pop out! Once you get them off my explanation would sound a little clearer. The front fender has one bolt to remove

The retaining clips are no problem, but the rivets are one time use.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was able to reuse the rivets. I used a center punch to push in the middle and they pull right out. Barring that, I have seen the rivets at Home Depot or Lowe's - can't remember which.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can someone help me out with the plastic rivets? I am searching for hours on the internet and cannot find the one for the wrangler flares?

I called the dealer and they want 6 bucks for each one!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Those look right. Maybe someone else can verify 100%

It's not showing the gun but I wouldn't think you'd need one for the plastic rivets. Put in place, pull out the center piece to expand while holding the outer part in place, cut off excess.

With plastic rivets, you don't want to pull out the center like you do with metal rivets. The center stays in to keep the outer piece expanded.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those look right. Maybe someone else can verify 100%

It's not showing the gun but I wouldn't think you'd need one for the plastic rivets. Put in place, pull out the center piece to expand while holding the outer part in place, cut off excess.

With plastic rivets, you don't want to pull out the center like you do with metal rivets. The center stays in to keep the outer piece expanded.
Hand Riveter with 40 Industrial Strength Poly Rivets

better link

1 - 13 of 13 Posts