Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy my fellow jeep peeps! I just purchased Rugged Ridge Hurricane flat fender flares for my JKUHR. They didn't come with the liners. Should I purchase them or no? Thoughts please.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Can't you re use the originals? Most of the aftermarket flares re use them.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You have to trim the originals for most fenders. Fronts are more important than rears. Behind the rears, it's just tub. Behind the fronts, you have engine bay.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,867 Posts
I run without the front liners. Normally it is a little more work keeping the engine bay clean and free of crap. You should be able to just trim your front ones and install them back in. Like stated the rears are not really needed, just pull them and bedline of underbody coat that area and your good.

Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
So if I trim the originals ( and by"I" I mean my brother) I can reuse them?
Yeah, you just trim along the body/tub line, making sure to keep as many mounting points as possible. In the rear, it's a little more interesting, I don't know if I did it wrong or what, but I definitely cut most of the mounting points and had to drill some little tiny holes and run zip ties to keep them in place. Barely noticeable though!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I went with Bushwacker flats specifically because they do a slick job of retaining the factory liners. We get a lot of magnesium chloride and brine on our roads around here and running the wheel houses completely open is just asking for corrosion issues. The rear wheelhouse on the driver side also has the fill tube exposed if you don't run the liner. If you decide to leave the rears off I've seen best results using spray undercoat rather than bed liner. The latter requires a lot of surface prep to get it to stick permanently, and it's rather brittle. Chips much easier than the other stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spray undercoat it is!! And thanks for the advice on trimming as well. I will post pics when I get them on the Black Widow

·
Registered
649 Posts
Depends how picky about looks you are. I'm very picky, when I get new fenders I'll probably get the CRAWLER CONCEPTZ inner fender liner. Believe they're aluminum and made to fit nicely instead of ghetto cutting the stock ones. But they're spendy, like $360 is. As for the rear, I'd go without and line-x the back tub all nice. Keeps it safe and blends in with the tire. Goodluck!

·
Registered
837 Posts
It was very easy to retain my liners on my jk.

I cut the flares, and simply trimmed the air dam, and liners with an oscillating saw with the circular bit thing. Never even took the tires off or anything (had stock tires on it plenty of room).

I did drill 1 hole in the pinch seam with my cordless drill and 2 holes in the liner and zip tied the liner to the pinch seam.

0 issues hasnt broke loose and no rubbing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts