Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help guys,I bought a new set of fender flares for my '05 and I can't figure out how to take the black plastic wheel well shell out of the wheel well of the rear tires.I have to take it off to get to the plastic square nuts to install the new flares.I could pull those black plugs out but I'm affraid to brake them. Maybe you have to brake them and buy new ones. Any help PLEASE!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
You have to pull those plastic push-pin pieces to release the fender well liner. They pull partially out and then snap back in when you're done. I've pulled them from my TJ several times without problem. Don't forget the top-center holders.

You may want to soften the liner up a bit with a shop light that has an incandescent bulb, it's pretty stiff otherwise. The heat from the shop light will soften it just enough to make it easier to work with. :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
yeah Jerry is correct. Fender flares can be a PITA to deal with. My swap took like 4 hours. Can be very frustrating, but worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jerry, I'll have to wait till next Sat. to try it again.
I was just afraid to snap those plastic plugs.I suppose you can buy those plugs at the dealer,any idea what they would cost? Can't be much.I believe in Murphy's Law if something can go wrong it will,and I have the worse luck in the world.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fender job complete and it only took me 5 hrs. 3 adult beverages a lot of bad language and one bloody knuckle.What a PITA!!! Who designed that system?I was able to save the plastic plugs but I had bought 6 at the dealer just incase.$3 dollars a piece for those things ,f------ bandits.Any way they are in and it looks great ,thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Fender job complete and it only took me 5 hrs. 3 adult beverages a lot of bad language and one bloody knuckle.What a PITA!!! Who designed that system?I was able to save the plastic plugs but I had bought 6 at the dealer just incase.$3 dollars a piece for those things ,f------ bandits.Any way they are in and it looks great ,thanks for the help guys.
Upload some pictures!

~Lev

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
Can't you just return the plastic pieces back to the dealership?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks Jerry, I'll have to wait till next Sat. to try it again.
I was just afraid to snap those plastic plugs.I suppose you can buy those plugs at the dealer,any idea what they would cost? Can't be much.I believe in Murphy's Law if something can go wrong it will,and I have the worse luck in the world.
Don't buy them at the dealer - they charge $3 each there. I bought a box of 13 at a Napa dealer for $6 bucks and then found them for even less at Lowes.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Don't buy them at the dealer - they charge $3 each there. I bought a box of 13 at a Napa dealer for $6 bucks and then found them for even less at Lowes.
good to know. I had the misfortune of going to a dealer for these on my dodge I had before the jeep and at 3.50 each it wasn't worth it when I found out that they wouldn't let me return them. another option, don't know the price though, is a body shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts