Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very few of the Wranglers for sale here have the limited slip option. Why? I would think everyone would want that option, especially with all the snow we have in the upper Midwest. Thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Inexperienced folks don't know what they are, and the heavy offroaders want the lockers that come with the rubi. Some of the inexperienced sellers might not even know if they have the factory LSD.

Also, the factory LSD is a clutch system that's not so long-lasting if it gets used a lot. And to top it off, all JKs have "brake lock differentials"--the computer picks up on wheel spin and applies the brake, thereby sending torque the other way and simulating a true LSD.

Personally, I'm in the (itty-bitty) minority who plans on putting a Detroit TruTrac LSD both front and rear. They're gear driven and better than the factory LSDs.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I have the factory limited slip. Don't know much about the way they will last but really like them. Got front E-locker that work real well with the rear LSD. I really believe if my rears ever go bad, I probably just get LSD put back in. Planned on rear lockers later but after seeing the benefit of LSD's as a DD and how well they work with the front locker combo, I plan on keeping it that way.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I just realized today I have LSD. I tried looking it up in the Jeep website, but I don't quite understand its purpose and the difference between the ESC. Explain, please. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
A simple explanation is a Jeep normally comes with three types of carriers. Either open, limited slip(LSD), or lockers that when not locked are either open or LS. The Rubicon comes with lockers both front and rear but the non Rubicons do not. The front axles on non rubi's are open axles. That means when you put your Jeep in 4wd and the front axle is engaged only one wheel on one side has power and always that side. The other wheel never powers the Jeep. So if the side with power comes off the ground or starts slipping in the mud then you have no traction up front. This is the same for the rear if the rear is an open axle.

Now if you have a LSD in the rear, if the side with power starts to slip then the power is transferred to the other side and now the other wheel has the power. So the power can transfer back and forth to each wheel as needed when your wheels are slipping or comes off the ground. Of course lockers lock both sides so both wheels have power at the same time.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Just a clarification on the LSD vs. open diff. An open diff does send power to both tires. The issue is that it will only transmit as much power as the wheel with the least traction can handle. If both wheels have excellent traction they will both pull. If one wheel loses traction it will be the only wheel with power because power takes the path of least resistance.

How an LSD works depends on what type it is. There are three basic types: Friction, gear, and governor. The Trac Lok used in the Jeep is a friction type and does not transfer power to the wheel with the least traction. Basically all it does is put the diff in a bind and transmit some power to the wheel with the least traction at all times. The clutches inside the diff usually take about 100-120 ft-lbs of torque to overcome at rest, more than that when torque is applied to the diff, but they will not take power away from the spinning wheel and send it to the other one. Gear and governor style LSDs will transfer power to the wheel with the least traction, but that is not the style that we have.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So much to learn. So basically its not a big deal if most of the Wranglers on the sale lot are without this option.?

·
Banned
764 Posts
Some dealers are cheap and the guys specking the vehicles tries to make it look well equipped, but in reality they scrimp every place they can. Then they catch you in a weak moment and you are hooked and buy. It makes their inventory look like a better buy then another dealer, but it is not really oranges to oranges. That's why I almost never buy without ordering. Then just like burger king you really can have it your way! Yes I got LSD on my wrangler and every other option, except the duel top group, which I didnt want. Side air bags, engine heater, smokers package, nav and both chrome packages just to name a few.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I was just amazed at the 'affectation of indifference' most salesmen had to my insistence on the Jeep form of Limited Slip when I was shopping intently. They all were talking up the multi-disc CD players and Navi units and looked either confused or simply inept when demand for actual mechanical options wouldn't disappear with their redirection to 'color options' etc.

It's a Jeep. LSD at a minimum for me.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I also ordered the LSD. Well worth the money. I found a few Jeeps I liked without them, but with pretty much everything else I wanted. I was tempted to just by one without and add a Truetrac to each end, but I think a clutch LSD will be better there offroad and in the snow because it proactively sends power to both wheel instead or reactively sending it like a Truetrac or the traction control.

·
Registered
623 Posts
What would it cost to add LTD Slip Aftermarket or from dealership?
MSRP for 2011 trak lok was $295 from the factory. I imagine retro fitting is much more :facepalm:.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just another opinion...I decided the lack of LSD was O.K. with me when the only Jeep I could find out west that had all the other options I wanted didn't have the LSD. The logic behind my decision: I don't do serious off-roading, but if I ever do, I'll add on the aftermarket Lockers which everyone says are far better for serious off-roading anyway...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
What would it cost to add LTD Slip Aftermarket or from dealership?
MSRP for 2011 trak lok was $295 from the factory. I imagine retro fitting is much more :facepalm:.
It depends on how far you are going with it. If you do nothing but chage the diff to a LSD you will be doing well to put a quality unit in an axle for less than about $700. If you are also regearing it will add probably $300 to that, so about $1000 per axle for a quality LSD unit and gears. If all the bearings need replaced it will be more. Chances are that the carrier bearings will be done when the diff is changed, it is nearly impossible to remove them without damaging them in some way and they are fairly cheap.

Just another opinion...I decided the lack of LSD was O.K. with me when the only Jeep I could find out west that had all the other options I wanted didn't have the LSD. The logic behind my decision: I don't do serious off-roading, but if I ever do, I'll add on the aftermarket Lockers which everyone says are far better for serious off-roading anyway...
Even without the intention of doing any heavy offroading I wanted the LSD. Every other vehicle we own has one and it makes a huge difference in how well you can get around in slippery conditions, even if it just amounts to wet pavement. There's one stop sign near my house that's slightly up hill and I probably couldn't get up when the pavement is wet without the LSD in my truck.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I've had rigs with and without LSD in the past. I found the one in my Ram ever so much benefit that it was one of my MUST HAVE in any Jeep I was seriously considering. I don't do "heavy off roading"......but where I live is seasonally serious enough to give that little extra bit of comfort zone in this kind of rig.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In my 2010 sport, the computer will not let one wheel spin faster than the others. if i`m sliding on the ice, it will straighten me out. :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Maybe so, but it would be better if the wheel never started spinning to start with. That's the whole point. You never have to get yourself out of trouble if you never get into it to start with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts