Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few silly questions. I've owned a TJ years ago but didn't have it long enough to maintenance it. Just got a 2013 JKU. Had a coolant question. Looking in the reservoir the coolant looks purple. Haven't verified yet by just a quick peak. But I've read on other forums that Chrysler used OAT and HOAT coolant. Some say that 2013 used OAT but some early 2013s used HOAT. Will the color tell me which coolant to get? I just don't want to get the wrong type and put it in and gunk up the insides. Next really silly question is checking oil. So I've always owned a GM product. Checking the oil was pretty easy. I pull out the dipstick in the Jeep and its a steel looking cable with a widen notch on the end. I'm assuming that the notch on the end denotes the "add" If no oil is on the notch is that mean "add 1 qt"? Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Use the OAT Purple, the concentrate is the most economical (still pricey). Mix with distilled water only. I keep a small bottle About a mixed quart with us when wheeling. I usually add when the engine is cool before wheeling. Our 2013 has not used much more than a quart in the last 40K miles.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,001 Posts
You can purchase a gallon of OAT from your Jeep Dealer. They also offer it in a already premixed with distilled water. Only use OAT Antifreeze, because the others are not compatible. It's also a good idea, to install a new radiator cap, about every three years. Mopar brand cap.

When checking your oil, make sure that the engine is at normal operating temperature. On level ground, turn off your engine. Wait about 5 minutes and check the level. Full should be at the top of the hash marks. The bottom of the hash marks, indicates 1 quart needs to be added.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts