Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
48,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://starparts.chrysler.com/Fluids/2013LC_Fluids.xml

There has been a lot of conversation regarding, as to why Chrysler/Jeep changed the engine oil viscosity from 5w30 for the 2012, to 5w20 for the 2013,2014 Wrangler, on this Forum, and others.
Many, including myself have said this is CAFE caused. Others have said, no, it will cause damage to the VVT system, so don't do it, plus the factory does not recommend it.

Up to current, we have never been able to come up with something tangible, other than opinions, and word of mouth.

Well that has all changed now, because we have the proof, that 5w30 maybe be used as a alternate, if 5w20 is not available.

This originated from Fiat 9.55535-S1

So just click on the above Link, and read what Fiat has to say.....:D

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
48,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your link does not work.
I'm not sure as to why you can't open it? I just clicked on it and it opened right up.

I did answer you down on the General JK section.

Just do a Google Search for Fiat 9.55535-S1 and you will see it.

I will bring the link up again, to see if it works for you.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
48,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't work for me but that should be no surprise, I'm not very good at this computer stuff.
Just go down and do a Google Search for Fiat 9.55535-S1 and you will see the spreadsheet from Fiat, approving the 5w30 oil!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I sent you a pm, found the link and tried to post it to the pm. Not sure if you got it. Originated from a November thread called " 3.6L woke up".

·
Registered
692 Posts
SPECIFICATIONS

There has been a lot of conversation regarding, as to why Chrysler/Jeep changed the engine oil viscosity from 5w30 for the 2012, to 5w20 for the 2013,2014 Wrangler, on this Forum, and others.
Many, including myself have said this is CAFE caused. Others have said, no, it will cause damage to the VVT system, so don't do it, plus the factory does not recommend it.

Up to current, we have never been able to come up with something tangible, other than opinions, and word of mouth.

Well that has all changed now, because we have the proof, that 5w30 maybe be used as a alternate, if 5w20 is not available.

This originated from Fiat 9.55535-S1

So just click on the above Link, and read what Fiat has to say.....:D
The 5w30 argument didn't work out in other threads so you decided to start your own thread to pimp out this misinformation.

I guess if you search long & hard enough, you'll always find at least one article on the internet to support a point of view, not matter how much sense is made to the contrary.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
48,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 5w30 argument didn't work out in other threads so you decided to start your own thread to pimp out this misinformation.

I am not going to try to degrade your comments, as you have mine.
Because it serves no purpose. You have a opinion, and I have a opinion, so what's the big deal.....:facepalm:
This is just part of being on a Forum! Not everybody is going to agree with you, or me all of the time, so what!!!!

I'm really sorry that you view differences of opinions, as a argument...:(
I would rather view them as a opportunity to share a different prospective on a subject, and learn from one another.
So what ever makes you happy, then go for it........:thumb:

So in closing, can we at least agree, to disagree???:D

·
Registered
920 Posts
The oil viscosity was changed in 2013, along with a new design oil pump. This may, and this is only a guess, be a design change to help flood the top of the cylinder head with oil. This would aid in carrying heat away, and would be part of the fix for the 2012 head problems. I'd seriously reconsider changing the viscosity away from the recommended 5w20.

·
Super Moderator
22,540 Posts
I don't see anything that is actually recommending 5-30 in my 14 3.6L and not sure why I would run it when my owners manual clearly states 5-20 and I have 100,000 mile warranty on the engine. Running 5-30 won't make me feel any more warm and fuzzy then 5-20. Now if I were in the middle of no where and someone drained my oil then I would run whatever I could get lol.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts

I guess if you search long & hard enough, you'll always find at least one article on the internet to support a point of view, not matter how much sense is made to the contrary.

This is in the 2013 owners manual ... what other official document is needed to topple your ego?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.