Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick FYI to any of you who may look to purchase a used Jeep in the near future. Actually, I guess this would pertain to any used vehicle, but particularly to a Wrangler since most of us opt to lift and otherwise customize our rigs...

I purchased my 07 Wrangler Sahara JK last year (27k miles) and opted for a 3-year extended warranty offered thru 'Fidelity'. Recently, as I began to read through the "fine print" after experiencing warning lights on the dash, I quickly realized that just about ANYTHING you do to alter the vehicle (lift, oversized or undersized tires, etc.) completely voids the warranty. On top of that, I have my rig in at the stealership today where they determined that my right rear wheel speed sensor wiring was corroded & fractured, requiring said wiring to be replaced, only to find out that that repair is not covered because "corrosion" is listed (again, in the fine print) as an exclusion. WTF?? Not that this is a really technical fix that I can't complete myself at home, but it's just the principal of it, since the stealership wanted to charge me in excess of $200 to make the repair! And to think I opted for the 'platinum' plan too... could just imagine what the base grade 'silver' plan offers (or should I say, *doesn't offer).

So, my obvious recommendation & warning to other Jeepers out there - save your money on an extended warranty offer if purchasing a used vehicle, especially a Wrangler... it's just money down the drain. Many of you more experienced Jeepers probably already knew this.

A quick question for anyone who can answer though - what does the factory warranty on a new JK say about the aforementioned modifications to a new rig??

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
I bought my 07 used and have the Fidelity Platinum 5yr/60k extended warranty. My rig already had larger tires and a lift on it when I bought it, wonder if they will still cover anything that goes wrong. If not, I wonder what the cancellation/refund policy is. Now I'm a little worried.

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
I don't think any of those things are 100% on the level. They're obviously not staying in business by paying out to every claim that comes through.
But from a different perspective, they shouldn't be in the business of insuring aftermarket mods. Who is to say someone didn't use junk parts? Who is to say the installer didn't screw up the job?
In any event, they should tell you up front that the warranty only applies to 100% stock vehicles. Granted, it is the duty of the owner to read the small print, but being the company providing the service, they should take the high road here.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
I'm on the phone with Fidelity now to get an answer about my situation. Obviously, I am not able to guarantee that what I am told would apply to anyone else. Will update afterwards.

**UPDATE** Just spoke with an agent int he Mechanical Breakdown department, she told me that any breakdown caused by the modification would no longer be covered, ie lift installed and suspension component fails, not covered, but the rest of the warranty still applies ie. engine component failure would still be covered. Seems to me like it is just like the factory warranty. It would have to be proven that the modification is what led to the component failure to void the coverage on that repair.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm on the phone with Fidelity now to get an answer about my situation. Obviously, I am not able to guarantee that what I am told would apply to anyone else. Will update afterwards.

**UPDATE** Just spoke with an agent int he Mechanical Breakdown department, she told me that any breakdown caused by the modification would no longer be covered, ie lift installed and suspension component fails, not covered, but the rest of the warranty still applies ie. engine component failure would still be covered. Seems to me like it is just like the factory warranty. It would have to be proven that the modification is what led to the component failure to void the coverage on that repair.
I'd be interested if she (ie - Fidelity) would be saying the same thing if you were calling to file a claim instead of inquiring as to if you should stay in their contract??

I don't have my contract in-front of me at the moment, but according to what I read last night on the back of the first page of my contract, the first thing mentioned in "exclusions" is the modification of the vehicle in any way, to include the use of undersized and oversized tires. Well, between my 3.25" lift and 33" tires, I'm out of luck. Sure, if the actual component(s) that fails is aftermarket itself, then I can see them denying the claim. But I'm getting a strong vibe that, no matter what the problem, they'd somehow relate it back to the fact that the vehicle was modified and somehow that contributed to a failure of a component that typically would be covered. You know what I'm saying... somehow, someway, that'll put it back on us. And regardless of what she said over the phone, what's in black in white in the contract is what they can always fall back on if they decide not to cover a claim.

I dont know... I already contacted my dealer and am awaiting a call back in order to cancel my contract with Fidelity. Not sure which way to go with it now...

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
I am kinda the same way. I got her name and asked for a note on the account as to our conversation, she even put me on hold to get the "correct" answer. Its one of those things that, it was already on the vehicle at time of purchase, so should be covered and she told me NOT to do any additional modifications. Too bad they refund the pro-rated amount back to the lein holder instead of me, I could put it into savings and let it make interest for that "just in case" day. I don't know what to do now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't do any further modifications???

Hmmmm, maybe it really is true what they say - "IT'S A JEEP THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Don't do any further modifications???

Hmmmm, maybe it really is true what they say - "IT'S A JEEP THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Meaning until the warranty is over and assuming I would still want to be covered for any other breakdowns I may have.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Regardless of who you have your warranty with, from my experience trying to get these companies to pay for things while working in dealerships, it's a fight the whole way. They will try to fight you tooth and nail about every little detail and try to tell you that something is or is not covered for whatever reason there were many legitimate cases where a warranty company was required to cover expenses and then dragged their feet getting payment submitted so I could not return a customer's vehicle for an additional day. These companies make money by selling policies and then trying to not pay out on them to keep their net profit figures up. Not saying warranties are bad, but be prepared to make many phone calls and much hassle to get something covered. Nothing worse than being faced with an expensive electrical repair and having them tell you they don't cover corrosion or some other dumb stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As a lawyer, I can tell you how the insurance business usually works: you give the insurance company money, and the insurance company keeps it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts