Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering no one replies to newbs on here or try’s to help them out I’d figure I’d say fuxk it and just post this anyway. So I made a post a while ago about fitting 305/70/16 on a stock 2dr Jk. Well it worked and they fit great. Problem is that I took them down to a tire warehouse to have them mounted and balanced and after about an hour the guy tell me sorry we cannot balance these whatsoever. He then put bags of “equal” in them to make them balance. I was not agreeable with this but he really didn’t give me an option. Now my tires shake horribly bad anywhere from 30-45 mph. What the hell am I supposed to do now. Would be nice if someone could give a crap on here

·
Registered
38 Posts
All I can think of is try another tire shop. What brand tire did you buy? If you bought a "name brand", I'd call them to investigate the problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,702 Posts
Did they suggest road force balancing the tires? You might want to look into that and see if it can be done for your application. That is what is usually done with tough to balance tires. Most shops don't have the equipment, and it isn't cheap to do.

·
Super Moderator
23,214 Posts
. Might want to leave the attitude if you expect to get help. As far as what to do take them back.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice attitude you have going there. After your first post the preceding ones are all pissy complaining no one answered your question. Did it ever occur to you that the reason that no one answered you is that they didn't have the answer to your question? No one hear owes anyone anything, its a forum of free exchange. Don't immediately assume the worst of everyone just because they didn't answer your first question because if you do your just cutting yourself off from a wealth of information here.

In answer to your question, take it to another tire store and have them re-balanced AFTER the clowns at the first tire store take out the sugar packets. They obviously don't know what they are doing to even suggest such a fix. There, someone helped you. Now we can all be friends again.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
It is hard to tell what to do from your post. Did you use spacers, and if so, do they fit tightly, and do the wheels spin without any wobble? Do the tires have any wobble? Are they perfectly round? It is fairly common for tires to be a little out of round. Do all four tires have problems, or just the front, for example?
In summary, you need a knowledgeable tire store, not one that does a quick and dirty job at the lowest possible price because they don't check anything.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Running that size tire on a stock 16" wheel will require spacers. It sounds like the rotor retaining clips were left on and that will cause the wheel shake.
Like other have said, take it to a tire shop that know what they are doing, not a high volume warehouse that is just pushing customers through.

·
Registered
212 Posts
"I took them down to a tire warehouse to have them mounted and balanced"

Sounds like you bought em online. You never said what brand tires. There's some pretty crappy stuff coming out of China and other "don't-give-a-crap" companies around the world. What did you pay for them? Quality tires are mostly balanced during the manufacturing process with small adjustments necessary after install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Deffinately need alot more info to be able to help. Brand of tire? New or used? Spacers? Did u have any problems with prior wheels? Equal bags added?? This info just to start talking about this.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys sorry for being a dick it’s just that when you spend 1500+ on a wheel and tire setup and some shmuck messes it up, I don’t think anyone would be happy. To the dude who said to leave, boo boo cry me a river I’m staying son.

Ok, now I purchased MB 352 16/8.5 4.5 BS -6 offset wheels for the tires to go on. There are milestar Patagonia’s 305/70/16 so essentially 33/12.50/16. They fit perfect with a no rubbing and sit a little bit outside of the fenders. Problem is I bought the tires from Walmart with a 100% return policy so if said shmuck could have told me they wouldn’t balance I could have exchanged the defective ones. Called a firstone locally and they said the dude is nuts and now I have to pay to have the packets vac’d out and then re mounted and rebalanced the correct way on a road force. Called back tire warehouse where they installed the “equal flex” and they said sorry can help no refund. Gotta love scamming scum.

·
Registered
821 Posts
So what they added to balance the wheels was called Dyna Beads, or Esco is another name brand.
Not Equal, that goes in your coffee.
And not a scam but you need to know what you are doing for it to work.
Milestars are a Taiwanese Tire by Nankang Rubber, far from a quality tire.
Good luck getting them balanced, if I was you before you do anything take them back to WalMart and get your money back.
Save up another $1k or so and get a well known name brand tire.

Good Truck tires start at about $200 per tire, $200 x 5 = $1000

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hey guys sorry for being a dick it’s just that when you spend 1500+ on a wheel and tire setup and some shmuck messes it up, I don’t think anyone would be happy. To the dude who said to leave, boo boo cry me a river I’m staying son.

Ok, now I purchased MB 352 16/8.5 4.5 BS -6 offset wheels for the tires to go on. There are milestar Patagonia’s 305/70/16 so essentially 33/12.50/16. They fit perfect with a no rubbing and sit a little bit outside of the fenders. Problem is I bought the tires from Walmart with a 100% return policy so if said shmuck could have told me they wouldn’t balance I could have exchanged the defective ones. Called a firstone locally and they said the dude is nuts and now I have to pay to have the packets vac’d out and then re mounted and rebalanced the correct way on a road force. Called back tire warehouse where they installed the “equal flex” and they said sorry can help no refund. Gotta love scamming scum.
Get the road force balance. I had to go to three different shops to get my old mickey thompson's balanced and they still aren't perfect..rode awesome for a few thousand miles, but got a shake at 46-49 mph currently. Large mud-terrain tires are difficult to balance, especially as they wear out. I wouldn't just assume they were scamming you without more info. Not many places will issue a refund for their labor charges, especially if it's weeks/months down the road.

Equal packets like the artificial sweetener?? I've heard of balancing beads (or airsoft BB's) being used, but never sugar packets..?

I was so tempted just to respond with a snotty remark based on your attitude, but figured I'd try to understand where you are coming from...that's a lot of money to not have it done correctly..but don't take your anger out on these forum members..you won't be getting much help in the future if that persists. Also, it seems like there is way more traffic in model-specific forums, rather than the general ones like this one is in, that could be why your old thread didn't get many responses.

Anyways, it's not the end of the world. Get them properly balanced and go enjoy your jeep :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could be the wheels and not the tires

I had some banged up rims from too many curb scrapes (this, not on a Jeep) and the tire folk claimed they could not get it to balance. They swapped wheels with my full-size spare and all was good.

·
Registered
873 Posts
FYI.. the trucking industry has/does use balance beads successfully. The Key to the B.Beads is getting the proper ones for the tire size-did the ones installed fit your size tire?

·
Registered
119 Posts
for 6 posts, you sure whine alot. i dont think ive been on another forum with more help towards newbs, especially when theres not too many unsolved jeep questions out there that have already been asked and answered and can be searched via thread/forum search and/or google. unlike the lambo or sportbike communities, jeepers seem to really wanna help their own

·
Registered
212 Posts
^^Well Said^^ It's a give and get balance. While I'm somewhat of a Newbie here I've had an excellent experience with the few issues (so far) I'm trying to work through. Act like a human...treat others like a human...get treated like a human. There's an Ark of knowledge here and I appreciate those who have thought out my problem and offer options and their own experiences. Buying a 30 year old Jeep...really, really cool...having tons of mechanics standing in line 24/7 to help me with it...PRICELESS!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts