Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on an adventure yesterday and doing maintenance and cleanup today. Just over 5k now on the odo. Coolant resevior has a tiny amount of coolant in it when cold. Wondering where the fill mark is? There is an bump out, I assume that is the "full" level but it is not indicated. Is that where the coolant should be when cold?

2014 JKUR. Search yielded no real answers sorry!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Went on an adventure yesterday and doing maintenance and cleanup today. Just over 5k now on the odo. Coolant resevior has a tiny amount of coolant in it when cold. Wondering where the fill mark is? There is an bump out, I assume that is the "full" level but it is not indicated. Is that where the coolant should be when cold?

2014 JKUR. Search yielded no real answers sorry!
In photos of a Mopar 2012-2015 coolant recovery bottles for JK's there's a "max" line at the top bump out and a "min" line approx. 5-6" below that next to the lower bump out. Yours should probably be the same. The top max line would be the max level when hot. It can be somewhere in between, unless you prefer it be filled to the line.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
If you fill it to the top when cold, then a lot will be pushed out when the engine heats up and the coolant expands.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In photos of a Mopar 2012-2015 coolant recovery bottles for JK's there's a "max" line at the top bump out and a "min" line approx. 5-6" below that next to the lower bump out. Yours should probably be the same. The top max line would be the max level when hot. It can be somewhere in between, unless you prefer it be filled to the line.
Don't forget it's that expensive OAT antifreeze!
MOPAR 68163849AA is less than $20 thru Amazon. That is OAT.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,010 Posts
^^^X2, but do not fill it to the MAX LINE, either hot or cold......:nonono:

If you fill it to the top when cold, then a lot will be pushed out when the engine heats up and the coolant expands.
^^^This is correct!!!

When cold, fill it with the proper coolant, 2013 through 2015 OAT. But only fill it to about 2" above the MIN LINE, when cold. When you fill it closer to the max line when cold, then it will have a tendency to push the coolant spill back from the radiator out of the overflow. Then you will start to get the antifreeze smell, and you will then think that you have a leak.

I have been there and done this, and learned this through trial and error!

So the bottom line is, keep it close within 2" of the MIN MARK when cold and you will be good to go...:thumb:

I have never owned a vehicle, where the overflow bottle was this temperamental!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I also keep my coolant approx. 2-3" above the Min line cold, just like Old Dogger mentioned. Never had a problem. The coolant bottle is designed slightly different from 07-11, but the level amount should still apply, especially since Old Dogger verified it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts