Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experience with Filthy?

Jeep Wrangler Gears, Lockers, and Install Kits

Looking to re-gear a soon to be, new to me 2006 LJ Rubicon 6spd from OEM 4.10 to either 5.13 or 5.38 (on 35s).
Having never bought ring/pinion sets and never had a Dana 44 I'm unclear on the 'T' for thick cut gear sets and whether I need thick or not. In other words, which of the sets to choose.

Also curious about this option:

Add REM ISF Superfinishing Service [+$175.00]
- Reduces friction by 25-37% for less heat and better power transfer.
- Requires no break-in procedure and reduces gear noise.

I like the sound of "no break-in procedure" and don't mind the one-time additional expenditure.
There are other options on that list so I'm open to recommendations. Then to find a good shop for installation.

Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
I am edging towards regearing and this is my approach. I found and read threads in my Southern California Regional forum about regearing. I found one company that was highly recommended. I googled them and checked more reviews and any videos they had. I finally called them and only had to talk about 15 minutes before all of the questions that I had, were answered and all of the questions that I didn't know to ask, were answered also.

They will know what you want,what you need, what is best, and what is internet bs.

I suggest having the shop that you choose provide the parts, not you. They need to make money and it will be covered under some kind of warranty.

Registered
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, too many mods to list.
So many think they can avoid cost by simply going to buy parts across the internet from someone willing to work for next to nothing, then drop all the parts in the lap of some local journeyman expert shop, who will then use their expertise to install and adjust and compensate and certify and warranty, while charging them minimum wage labor rates, so the buyer can save 100 bucks. The insanity rears it鈥檚 head when they actually find someone willing to do it, and the buyer is convinced he has been so smart that he is getting something of value for nothing.

The bottom line? Value expertise, experience, and a job properly done. You have only saved money when it doesn鈥檛 have to be done over again. And just remember that someone always assumes that risk. If you deny paying for that to the shop who is doing the work, then you assume the risk yourself. It鈥檚 the beauty of the free market.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Unexpected answers but really good ones. Great points and I'll heed.

I'll visit my local installer and see where it takes me. Any gear brands to balk at? I want good stuff done once.

Caveat: I'll probably run the LJ 6spd on 4.10/ 35s for a year and see what the real world seat of the pants tells me.

Thanks folks!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Registered
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, too many mods to list.
Unexpected answers but really good ones. Great points and I'll heed.

I'll visit my local installer and see where it takes me. Any gear brands to balk at? I want good stuff done once.

Caveat: I'll probably run the LJ 6spd on 4.10/ 35s for a year and see what the real world seat of the pants tells me.

Thanks folks!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I think you鈥檒l find the 35s to be just a bit much for the 4.10 gears. It鈥檚 one of several reasons I stuck with 33s. I justify mine by not expecting my Jeep to be a rock crawling rig, but a trail rig. I also tow it. It has to have good manners all the time. 35s are sweet. I just can鈥檛 do it.

Reactions: NOTNSUV

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So many think they can avoid cost by simply going to buy parts across the internet from someone willing to work for next to nothing, then drop all the parts in the lap of some local journeyman expert shop, who will then use their expertise to install and adjust and compensate and certify and warranty, while charging them minimum wage labor rates, so the buyer can save 100 bucks. The insanity rears it鈥檚 head when they actually find someone willing to do it, and the buyer is convinced he has been so smart that he is getting something of value for nothing.

The bottom line? Value expertise, experience, and a job properly done. You have only saved money when it doesn鈥檛 have to be done over again. And just remember that someone always assumes that risk. If you deny paying for that to the shop who is doing the work, then you assume the risk yourself. It鈥檚 the beauty of the free market.
All that notwithstanding does someone have an opinion on part 2 of the question?

Also curious about this option:

Add REM ISF Superfinishing Service [+$175.00]
- Reduces friction by 25-37% for less heat and better power transfer.
- Requires no break-in procedure and reduces gear noise.

I like the sound of "no break-in procedure" and don't mind the one-time additional expenditure.
There are other options on that list so I'm open to recommendations. Then to find a good shop for installation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts