Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Proud Wrangler Owner
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After days of researching over the forums, I have finally narrowed my choices down to the following two wheels and two tire sizes. Need some opinions to help me make my decision. This is for a stock 2012 JKU SportS with no Lift. Black Forest Green waiting for delivery in January.

I have finalized the wheel size and the type of tire.
Wheel Size: 16 x 8.5 with 4.5" Backspace
Tire Type: Goodyear Duratrac

I need some help in picking the wheel and the tire size.

Wheels
(Both of them in Matt Black):
1. MB72
2. Level8 Tracker

MB72's are $80.00 cheaper for a set of 5

Tires
(I was told that both the sizes would fit the new wheels w/o any issues):
1. 265x75x16 (31.64 x 10.4 x 16)
2. 285x75x16 (32.83 x 11.22 x 16)
The price difference between the two is $230 for the full set of 5.

MB72

LEVEL8 Tracker

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I considered both of these wheels too. :thumb:

Why not save money by going down to 15" wheels? Both of these wheels fit the JK in their 15" incarnation. It'll be cheaper for both wheels and tires.

Add a low cost leveling kit or small lift and you could go with 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs as long as you don't offroad too hard.

·
Proud Wrangler Owner
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep hearing about some 15" wheels having rubbing issues and therefore, I stayed away from them. I will check it out.

I considered both of these wheels too. :thumb:

Why not save money by going down to 15" wheels? Both of these wheels fit the JK in their 15" incarnation. It'll be cheaper for both wheels and tires.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Keep hearing about some 15" wheels having rubbing issues and therefore, I stayed away from them. I will check it out.
Yes. Steel ones.

These alloys will fit. Look here and here.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
My 15s are fine and no rub. Plenty of room but you need the 19mm offset.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Level 8 tracker because I like it better(and you are building it for me, right?) And bigger tire because it's bigger

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Not sure of the weight of the Level 8. The main reason people are going to the MB72 is the weight combination with the Duratrac's. Also the main reason people are going to 15" Duratrac's is the weight. The 16" Duratrac's are a heavier tire then the 15" even in the bigger size. Weight is a Jeep's worst enemy and if your not worried about weight then their are probably better choices then either of these.

If I didn't see the light on weight, I would keep my current setup up. My Goodyear MT/r's is a great tire that can eat trails up but weigh a ton so going to MB's with 15" Duratrac's.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Not sure of the weight of the Level 8. The main reason people are going to the MB72 is the weight combination with the Duratrac's. Also the main reason people are going to 15" Duratrac's is the weight. The 16" Duratrac's are a heavier tire then the 15" even in the bigger size. Weight is a Jeep's worst enemy and if your not worried about weight then their are probably better choices then either of these.

If I didn't see the light on weight, I would keep my current setup up. My Goodyear MT/r's is a great tire that can eat trails up but weigh a ton so going to MB's with 15" Duratrac's.
Shipping weights from DTD of my top four wheel choices in no particular order:

15" MB72 - 20 lbs
15" Level 8 Tracker - 20 lbs
15" Black Rock D Window - 19 lbs
15" MB Chaos 5 - 21 lbs

Stock Rubicon wheel - About 27 lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts

So a tire with more side wall 15" weighs less than a 16" tire? really? Seems counter intuitive but it wouldn't be the first time I was miss informed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
basecamper said:
So a tire with more side wall 15" weighs less than a 16" tire? really? Seems counter intuitive but it wouldn't be the first time I was miss informed :rolleyes:
The 15" setup has more rubber but less metal compared to the 16" wheel so that's where the weight goes.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Not always, but as to the DuraTracs, yes.

33x12.5R15 = 49 lbs.
305/70R16 (33x12R16) = 63 lbs.

For comparison, the stock Rubi tire is 48 lbs.

It has to do with the sidewall construction. This is why I saw no appreciable change in gas mileage going to a 15" alloy and a 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs, whereas somebody who goes with a set of 16" steel Soft 8s and a 305/70R16 DuraTracs will take a pretty big hit even though we both moved to 33s.

·
Proud Wrangler Owner
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did some research on 15" wheels. These are my options

MB72 - 15 x 8 -19offse which equates to 3.75" Backspace
Level8 Tracker - 15 x 8 -30 offset which equates to 3.25" Backspace

To get the higher backspacing, If I decide to go with the 15"MB72 and 33x12.5 x15 Duratracs, it looks like
1. The tires will stick out a little bit
2. Not much rubbing for DD
3. Would need a 2" lift to go Off roading to prevent rubbing

This package actually saves me quite a bit of $$ and actually with the $$ saved, I could get a Teraflex 2 to 2.5" coil lift.

Am I close in my assumptions.

·
Proud Wrangler Owner
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The black rock D-Window alloy gives me 4" backspacing.

15 x 8 -12 offset (4"backspacing).

Just wondering, if I should go with these instead, to get the extra backspacing?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Did some research on 15" wheels. These are my options

MB72 - 15 x 8 -19offse which equates to 3.75" Backspace
Level8 Tracker - 15 x 8 -30 offset which equates to 3.25" Backspace

To get the higher backspacing, If I decide to go with the 15"MB72 and 33x12.5 x15 Duratracs, it looks like
1. The tires will stick out a little bit
2. Not much rubbing for DD
3. Would need a 2" lift to go Off roading to prevent rubbing

This package actually saves me quite a bit of $$ and actually with the $$ saved, I could get a Teraflex 2 to 2.5" coil lift.

Am I close in my assumptions.
Yes.

According to DTD's correspondence with me while I was going through this, the MB72 has 3.75" of bs and the Level 8 has 3.32" of bs. Pretty inconsequential difference, so you can really just go preference there.

And yeah, you'll want that lift.

Add a low cost leveling kit or small lift and you could go with 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs as long as you don't offroad too hard.Add a low cost leveling kit or small lift and you could go with 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs as long as you don't offroad too hard.
:appl:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
The black rock D-Window alloy gives me 4" backspacing.

15 x 8 -12 offset (4"backspacing).

Just wondering, if I should go with these instead, to get the extra backspacing?
That's what I have. You can look in the thread I posted earlier to see pics.

There's no benefit to the extra backspacing. For a JK, you really just want about 5" or below, so all of these wheels fit that profile. With 4" of bs, you can plainly see in the photos I posted that the tire stick out past the fender flares. That will increase the lower the bs goes. But there's not going to be any practical difference going from 4" to 3.32".

·
Proud Wrangler Owner
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Mike. I have been looking at your threads.

Love those Level8 Trackers and would be my first choice.

If I decide to get the level8 (3.3"BS), am I okay (Rubbing etc.) to drive (DD) until I get my coil lift. It could be a month out after I get the new wheel/tires installed.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
If I decide to get the level8 (3.3"BS), am I okay (Rubbing etc.) to drive (DD) until I get my coil lift. It could be a month out after I get the new wheel/tires installed.
Yes. I've only got about an inch of lift in those pictures. Maybe a bit more. So drop it an inch and figure that's about where you'll be. Tight squeeze but for a daily driver it should be fine.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
sunnykk said:
After days of researching over the forums, I have finally narrowed my choices down to the following two wheels and two tire sizes. Need some opinions to help me make my decision. This is for a stock 2012 JKU SportS with no Lift. Black Forest Green waiting for delivery in January.

I have finalized the wheel size and the type of tire.
Wheel Size: 16 x 8.5 with 4.5" Backspace
Tire Type: Goodyear Duratrac

I need some help in picking the wheel and the tire size.

Wheels (Both of them in Matt Black):
1. MB72
2. Level8 Tracker
MB72's are $80.00 cheaper for a set of 5

Tires(I was told that both the sizes would fit the new wheels w/o any issues):
1. 265x75x16 (31.64 x 10.4 x 16)
2. 285x75x16 (32.83 x 11.22 x 16)
The price difference between the two is $230 for the full set of 5.

MB72

LEVEL8 Tracker
I like the second rims the more

1 - 20 of 40 Posts