Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been a few years since I sold my JKU Sahara and a few years before that someone stole my mint XJ and totalled it.

I bought a 4.2(?) 3 speed 1990 YJ Tuesday that will be arriving hopefully Sunday or Monday. I know very little about it as the guy that sold it is a wholesaler that took it in on trade.

Judging by pictures, it appears someone took exceptional care of it or possibly restored it. It does have a body lift, possibly 1.5 or 2" which I'm not a huge fan of, possibly boomerang shackle lift, magneti marelli carb, random armor/fenders/bumpers, transfer case drop, bestop covers, all led lights, and of course wheels. I'm not all affluent with YJs so if someone knows this jeep or spots some stuff I'm not seeing yet in pictures by all means I'd love to know more.

It will be our beach cruiser, canoe hauler, and trail toy.

Thank in advance all. I'll be here learning more about this platform.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,436 Posts
Looks great, aftermarket paint, nutter bypass looks to have been done. From the detail on the interior pics I seriously you nothing to worry about underneath. Post up more pics when it shows up. PO has obviously done quite a bit of work and probably a lot that is not stock. I like what I see so far. Gotta Know, what was the price tag?

Reactions: BrandonSS

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I just realized it limited me to 1p. Here are a few more including underneath. I'm anxious to get it in my hands!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Yeah!
I recognize it!
And I want it back!

Just kidding--Looks amazing.

That much body lift is messing with the center of gravity among other things... Get rid of or reduce the body lift and go for spring lift!
Enjoy!

John D

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
PS...
Looks like a TC (Transfer Case) drop by the looks of the skid plate having spacers (!?)... if you convert to spring lift, go with SYE (Slip Yolk Eliminator) and remove spacers to regain clearance if you intend to off-road extreme terrain.
Although, from the looks of the underside --this Jeep never went off-pavement.
Bonus for you! Mine "WAS" pristine underneath as well...
But alas--I've taken the Blue Devil on some adventures! 😲

John D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks all, haven't had much time to personally go through it. It arrived last Tuesday, the battery was dead on the trailer so we pushed it off of the transport trailer. We jumped it and it fired right up, drove it down to the bay and back (less than half mile round trip) and put it in the garage after clearing the door by 1/2". It rode very rough, thumping in the rear, steering extremely floaty.

Next morning, it fired right up so I drove it to the gas station as it was on E. Pulling out onto the main road I realized this thing is scary slow. I wasn't expecting such a drastic difference between this and my previous 99 XJ as far as getting up to speed went... really had to give it gas to get it to 55 and stay there, floor board heat was crazy just minutes after getting going. Air conditioning ice cold though! Steering again was extremely loose and floaty. Brakes.. woof... really had to STAND on them to come to a stop.

Got to the gas station, shut it down. Gassed up. Go to leave and it's dead again. Sitting on <8 volts. Had to ask for a jump, took it straight to the local shop near my house and left it there telling them to go through the entire jeep. They haven't worked it in yet but hopefully tomorrow it gets its time on lift.

My thoughts...

It has a 4 barrel carb, maybe it's tuned wrong as the power is less than even the 4cyl jeeps I've driven and yes I was in 2wd. It also idles super high (3k+) at start until I give it a rev, it drops down. I know it's tall gearing and on 33s, but sheesh. I did notice there is a crankcase filter venting. Guessing that has to do with the emissions delete.

Battery... could be alternator as it struggled to hit 10 volts when I was driving it to the shop. I did leave the AC switch turned to on when I went to pump gas, but the fans were off when the ignition was off but maybe there's something to that?

Brakes... it felt like maybe the rear drums weren't catching at all. It wanted to crawl as soon as I put it in drive, had to stand on the brakes to keep it sitting.

Body and frame.. I crawled around it. Super clean. Nothing notable at all. Did find a pretty significant oil leak. Unsure if it's the valve cover gasket, oil filter housing, or rear main. Hopefully the shop can identify it and repair. The engine has a fresh painted block and from the looks of it all new gaskets but maybe extra rtv on the valve cover gasket area.

Wheels... it has 1.5-2" spacers that I'll be removing asap. It's a bit overkill.

Same with the body lift... not a fan of it. It's big, like 2.5" or maybe 3". Half would look a lot better.

Misc... missing the gear indicator needle, shifter goes counterclockwise past park which I'm sure is what snapped off the indicator. Lights for the 4wd, etc don't seem to work. And the shift knob is broken, probably from hitting the dash (it goes that far past park)

3 Switches to the right of the column... no idea what those do yet as I didn't get time to mess with it. Everything else seems to work, gauges bounce around as expected, and the clock still works.

Radio is terrible. It has 2 pods wedged behind the roll bar and the fronts don't seem to work at all even though they are Pioneer so clearly newer than oem. This will get a full overhaul as well... just need to find a sound bar that looks good, I'm sure there's plenty of options.

Random weather seals... I think its missing some around the front windshield frame. Will have to take pictures when I get it back for everyone's input and help.

Doors don't close great.. latched they look ajar. But I guess they do what they are supposed to do.

Gas smell... when it runs it burns your eyes if you're behind it. I checked under and it does have a cat to my surprise. Also raw gas smell from driver rear. Fill hoses look good so my only thought is the rollover valve being stuck open? Definitely smelled up the garage.

Overall, I'm very happy with how clean the jeep is and I'm ready to get it 100%. My short drives reminded me how much I enjoyed driving one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts