Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Finally Bought A Jeep

1131 Views 18 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  DBL
More of an introductory than anything but here we go.

After months of browsing around, lurking different forums, and pondering what I wanted I finally decided to pull the trigger. I test drove 13, crawled under 21, and look at 30 different Jeeps. Wound up getting a modified 16' JKU Sport. Not sure if it's been off road, but oh its gonna.

My last 4x4 was a 96 Cherokee which died something like 10 years ago, so my driving skills are gonna have to have the rust beat off em lol.

For now I'm just researching the modifications that have been done, making sure they're right and everything's torqued down, seeing what I should get rid of, looking at soft top kits, and trying to solve my only real issue which is tires... Oh what a fun rabbit hole that is.

But that pretty much sums that up for now, looking forward to getting out there again once I figure my tire situation out... Gonna be fun!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
199 Posts
Welcome

· Registered
2,257 Posts
More of an introductory than anything but here we go.

After months of browsing around, lurking different forums, and pondering what I wanted I finally decided to pull the trigger. I test drove 13, crawled under 21, and look at 30 different Jeeps. Wound up getting a modified 16' JKU Sport. Not sure if it's been off road, but oh its gonna.

My last 4x4 was a 96 Cherokee which died something like 10 years ago, so my driving skills are gonna have to have the rust beat off em lol.

For now I'm just researching the modifications that have been done, making sure they're right and everything's torqued down, seeing what I should get rid of, looking at soft top kits, and trying to solve my only real issue which is tires... Oh what a fun rabbit hole that is.

But that pretty much sums that up for now, looking forward to getting out there again once I figure my tire situation out... Gonna be fun!
Welcome to the forum (y)

Your first step should be posting pictures of the new Jeep 😆

· Registered
1993 YJ 4.0
963 Posts
Welcome!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the welcomes!

Sorry, fell into the rabbit hole of tires and wheels last night, man what a deep subject for something that seems so simple at first glance.

Not exactly the best picture but the best I can do since I'm on little mini staycation and enjoying a rum and coke.

Still working through the mods to see what stays and what goes, but have a pretty good idea of what's getting removed and/or replaced.

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome, where are you located?
I'm up in the mountains of NC. Really only 2-3 hrs away from multiple off road areas including southern WV and about 5 from drivable beaches so not too bad for weekend fun.

Just gonna have to brush up on my offroad driving, it's my first manual offroader though, so that may or may not be a learning curve I enjoy, we'll find out I guess lol.

There we go- she's a beauty :)
Thanks basicxj, my wife loves the wheels, they're growing on me though.

· Registered
3,597 Posts
There are some great places to wheel within reasonable driving distance of you. Windrock Park, Kairos resort, Good Evening Ranch, Hatfield-McCoy trail system are a few that have a bit of everything. Then there is Uwharrie National Forest which is a good place to get reacquainted with wheeling. Also, at Uwharrie, it's pretty easy to hook up with others so you are not wheeling alone. Our club is heading up to Kairos in a couple of weeks if interested. PM me if you think you would like to go.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
There are some great places to wheel within reasonable driving distance of you. Windrock Park, Kairos resort, Good Evening Ranch, Hatfield-McCoy trail system are a few that have a bit of everything. Then there is Uwharrie National Forest which is a good place to get reacquainted with wheeling. Also, at Uwharrie, it's pretty easy to hook up with others so you are not wheeling alone. Our club is heading up to Kairos in a couple of weeks if interested. PM me if you think you would like to go.
I'm planning on going up to Hatfield-McCoy with my co-worker one day, he speaks very highly of it but also says always carry a gun. He's up there every weekend in the spring through fall so I'm sure he's had encounters with some of the less nice people in the world in his yearly tradition.

As for scheduling a time, for me right now, it's a big unknown factor. Work right now is a nightmare schedule wise, week off here, no days off the next, just messy scheduling. But if I'm available for whenever I'd be down.

I'm calling my tire guy the next couple days to see if he can get me some tires wholesale, so assuming I choose a tire, so might have that going for me I can and he can get em fast enough.

· Registered
3,597 Posts
Just did Hurricane Creek a couple of weekends ago. Not anything challenging there but a nice day out on the trails. Stay on the trails, respect the posted areas and don't go past any closed gates and there won't be any issues. (but I never go anywhere without a sidearm). There is also more trails on the other side of 40 which you access from TN. The goat trail was a nice ride.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just did Hurricane Creek a couple of weekends ago. Not anything challenging there but a nice day out on the trails. Stay on the trails, respect the posted areas and don't go past any closed gates and there won't be any issues. (but I never go anywhere without a sidearm). There is also more trails on the other side of 40 which you access from TN. The goat trail was a nice ride.
Meant Hatfield-McCoy, not sure why I abbreviated it in such a way though. I'll go back and fix it.

· Registered
3,597 Posts
You need a DOT approved helmet for the Hatfield-McCoy system. However the trail pass is like $50 for a year and includes all of the Hatfield-McCoy system, Ivy Branch, Bearwallow, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts