Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i finally got all the odd sounds figured out. I have not been able to go on a single run due to the multitude of issues i've got with my Tj. Noises include: bump, bang, squeak, clunk, crash, rattle, squeal, thunk, crunch, grind, and wham!... causes identified:transmission cross member loose, front sway bar links broken, control arm bushings worn out, rear tire carrier design flaw, D ring falling off and bouncing up off highway into skid plate, same D ring riding in skid plate for 3 months, steering shaft rubbing on fire wall, water pump not working, transfer case drop kit bolts loose, steering crush joint crushed, sand in the window seal, and me fainting after giving my mechanic $3k this summer. but finally victory is within my grasp... after finding out the annoying squeaking sound from my R/F suspension is actually my control arm bushings announcing they have quit and left the vehicle, and noticing my 4" lift only seems to be about 2.5" , i have set out to remedy the issues once and for all (or 5 years whichever comes first). i ordered a SYE, drive shaft and 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ / 4" X-Series Suspension Lift Kit... i have read about two dozen reviews (most right here on wrangler forums) and some magazine reviews and for the money it seems solid. It is the only kit under $2k that comes with all 8 control arms and they're all adjustable. It looks reasonable and mostly complete. i notice it does not come with bump stops, steering stabilizer, or rear track bar but those are easy to get. i have not found any other kit that comes close to having as much gear for anything near the price, but i'm open to any suggestions...Oh the kit with 2.2 nitro shocks is $1099.00
1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 4" X-Series Kit at Morris 4x4

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Wow, what a laundry list :eek:. Glad you have it all sorted out. My Jeep is often the noisiest Jeep in terms of squeaks and clicks but they are all due to my SwayLOC anti-swaybar's links. Despite the noise, I am very happy with the performance afforded.

·
I'm not lost
1,974 Posts
Boy I know all about the noises caused by bad Control arm bushings! LOL

Sounds like by the time you are done you will have one hell of a rig :) Hope to catch you on a run soon!

Keep Feb 18th clear on the calendar! we are having a Newbie Run!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Seems like every week or two I have to chase a new rattle. My latest one was my muffler was loose (tack weld broke) and was sliding back and forth against the weld. Took me a couple of attempts over a few days to find it.

The problem was that when the exhaust was hot, the pipe would expand enough to not allow it to slide. When the exhaust was cold...rattle, bang, rattle, bang.

My welder is getting some use now that I own a Jeep. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts