Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Houston auto show had a Black Rubicon Gladiator & i like it a lot. No price yet but they said to be released in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,397 Posts
The black looks really nice. I'll be glad when they make their way to Dallas. Should be pretty soon.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I have been looking at and test driving all the competitor mid size trucks. I have not been impressed other than the Chevy Colorado. That is a very nice truck with lots of features, including front and rear lockers on the Z72 edition. It will be interesting to see what the price point is going to compete. I built a Z72 Bison edition, which comes with skids front to rear and an off road system from AEV for just under $52K MSRP. I don't think Jeep even cares to compete with that price point, but we will see. I am looking forward to seeing a Gladiator in person.

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
I too looked at other midsize pickups. Colorado/Canyon stood out for their solid feel, car-like ride and handling, interior comfort and overall refinement.

A fully loaded GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4X4 with 3.6 V6, 8-speed automatic, part-time/full-time 4WD, rear limited slip, 5.5 ft bed, tow package, remote start, heated leather seats, navigation, top-of-the-line sound, etc., goes for about $35,000 around here.

That’s one heck of deal for a comfortable, refined, solid truck with a regular sized bed.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Went to the auto show today. Sat in all the mid sized trucks. Not for me. GMC seats are very uncomfortable, legs were almost horizontal from seat to pedals.

Not much room in back seats of any of the mid sized crew cabs.

Ranger looked nice, but just a little small for my tastes.

Will be interesting to see the Gladiator

·
Registered
866 Posts
Went to the auto show today. Sat in all the mid sized trucks. Not for me. GMC seats are very uncomfortable, legs were almost horizontal from seat to pedals.

Not much room in back seats of any of the mid sized crew cabs.

Ranger looked nice, but just a little small for my tastes.

Will be interesting to see the Gladiator
Philly Auto Show Feb 2-10.. get discount coupons from your local Jeep Dealer.

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
I posted these photos on another thread of JT’s intro at the L.A. Auto Show last November

The truck is looooong! Notice the distance between the rear door and the fender; the spare tire tucked under the bed behind the axle

JT adds 1-foot to the length of the wheelbase and another 1.5-feet in rear overhang; yet the bed is still only 5-foot long

Rubicon with optional painted fenders and steel bumpers.

Notice integrated forward camera

Rubicon comes with Falken Wildpeak MTs standard; wheel design resembles that on JK Hard Rock

Overland is the equivalent to Sahara: comes with sidesteps, painted fenders and Bridgestone Dueler ATs. All beds are lined

Overland interior

Rear seats fold up to increase vertical cargo space

Rubicon with black fenders. Notice camera aimed at the tow hitch; license plate at center; tail-lights have straight outlines; giant Jeep badge. I’d prefer the rear handle be painted

·
Registered
542 Posts
It looks like it's kluged together with odd parts.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I posted these photos on another thread of JT’s intro at the L.A. Auto Show last November

The truck is looooong!
Compared to what? To a Jeep unlimited, sure, but compared to the competition... is about the same.

I am looking at the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 in Bison trim... with the diesel engine. The Gladiator is about the same length +/- 6"... the difference being how the bumpers are setup on the Gladiator versus the Bison...

My main concern is how the pricing will be position... MSRP on the Chevy ZR2 Bison with the options I want and the diesel engine is 54K. I am waiting to see what the Gladiator comes at (and if they finally come out with the diesel)..

I am a bit concern on the pricing because the JLUR I configured is also around 54K MSRP (and that does not take into account what the diesel option will cost)... if the Gladiator is even higher, it is going to be tough for me to justify getting it...

Heck, I am still going back and forth between the Bison and the JLUR... and now the Gladiator is in the mix... at this rate and with my level of indecision, I might not be buying anything for another year...

Anyway, back to your comment... not much larger than the competition...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Compared to what? To a Jeep unlimited, sure, but compared to the competition... is about the same.

I am looking at the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 in Bison trim... with the diesel engine. The Gladiator is about the same length +/- 6"... the difference being how the bumpers are setup on the Gladiator versus the Bison...

My main concern is how the pricing will be position... MSRP on the Chevy ZR2 Bison with the options I want and the diesel engine is 54K. I am waiting to see what the Gladiator comes at (and if they finally come out with the diesel)..

I am a bit concern on the pricing because the JLUR I configured is also around 54K MSRP (and that does not take into account what the diesel option will cost)... if the Gladiator is even higher, it is going to be tough for me to justify getting it...

Heck, I am still going back and forth between the Bison and the JLUR... and now the Gladiator is in the mix... at this rate and with my level of indecision, I might not be buying anything for another year...

Anyway, back to your comment... not much larger than the competition...
Compared to Wrangler Unlimited. That’s what 99% of those of us on here drive. I agree, midsize trucks are longer than Wranglers.

Others may not mind, but I find my brother’ GMC Canyon a bit long for city parking. And even at that length JT still only comes with a 5-foot bed.

I’d expect the EcoDiesel to add $5,000 to whatever price Gladiator comes out at. That’s been about the going price for that motor on Rams and Grand Cherokees.

If you assume a JL Rubicon with the 3.6 V6, automatic transmission and a hardtop goes for $55,000, add $5,000 for EcoDiesel and you are at $60,000 without even taking into account whatever “premium” FCA will want for the pickup.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Compared to Wrangler Unlimited. That’s what 99% of those of us on here drive. I agree, midsize trucks are longer than Wranglers.

Others may not mind, but I find my brother’ GMC Canyon a bit long for city parking. And even at that length JT still only comes with a 5-foot bed.

I’d expect the EcoDiesel to add $5,000 to whatever price Gladiator comes out at. That’s been about the going price for that motor on Rams and Grand Cherokees.

If you assume a JL Rubicon with the 3.6 V6, automatic transmission and a hardtop goes for $55,000, add $5,000 for EcoDiesel and you are at $60,000 without even taking into account whatever “premium” FCA will want for the pickup.
I just went to jeep.com.

Selected to build a Rubicon. 3.6, auto, hard top selected. $46,135.

I had to pretty much select every single option, including the turbo 4 cyl to get the price up anywhere near $55K. I topped out around $58K with the power top and the upgrade wheels.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just went to jeep.com.

Selected to build a Rubicon. 3.6, auto, hard top selected. $46,135.

I had to pretty much select every single option, including the turbo 4 cyl to get the price up anywhere near $55K. I topped out around $58K with the power top and the upgrade wheels.

This was my build:

JLUR - V6 - Ocean Blue Metallic Clear-Coat Exterior Paint
Automatic Transmission
LED Lighting Group
Cold Weather Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Electronic Infotainment System Group
Steel Bumper Group
Hard Top - BlackBody Color Fender Flares
Stitched Leather Black Seat - Black Interior
Trail Rail Management System
Remote Keyless Entry
All Weather Floor Mats

Total: $55,090.00

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
691 Posts
Something about the Gladiator looked "off" to me, it just looks long. But I think it's just the rear doors. I understand that they probably used the unlimited doors for cost reasons and parts interchangeability, but if they used longer rear doors, it seems (at least to me) the proportions look better. This is just a quick cut-n-paste mock up I did in "paint" (didn't bother blending it), but it doesn't look off to me this way. Doesn't look like a Jeep school bus any more. But that's just IMHO.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
This was my build:

JLUR - V6 - Ocean Blue Metallic Clear-Coat Exterior Paint
Automatic Transmission
LED Lighting Group
Cold Weather Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Electronic Infotainment System Group
Steel Bumper Group
Hard Top - BlackBody Color Fender Flares
Stitched Leather Black Seat - Black Interior
Trail Rail Management System
Remote Keyless Entry
All Weather Floor Mats

Total: $55,090.00
Yup. Now add $5,000 for EcoDiesel and a $3,000 "premium" for being a pickup, and that should get you close to what FCA will likely ask you to pay: $63,000

For reference, a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4 with the 5.7 HEMI, Off-Road package, rear locker, 12" navigation, leather seats and panoramic sunroof lists for $62,000

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yup. Now add $5,000 for EcoDiesel and a $3,000 "premium" for being a pickup, and that should get you close to what FCA will likely ask you to pay: $63,000

For reference, a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4 with the 5.7 HEMI, Off-Road package, rear locker, 12" navigation, leather seats and panoramic sunroof lists for $62,000
You said Rubicon with the hard top, V6 and automatic. You said nothing about adding just about every other option.

As I showed you, a Rubicon doesn't have to be a $55K vehicle. It starts at $41K. Optioned with just what you brought up, it's still only $46K.

Entry point for the JT Rubicon will probably be $5K over the JLU, so it'll start in the mid $40's

Sure, you can get every option and it will go north of $60K. But it doesn't have to if you don't want it to.

And, keep in mind that you don't have to get a Rubicon. The base model JLU starts $10K less than the Rubicon. Entry price for the truck will most likely be in the mid to high $30's.

And while the diesel will be $5K over a manual trans V6, $2K of that will be upping to an automatic, meaning just the engine itself is a $3K premium. That's about what it was on the Grand Cherokee for just the engine upgrade. I don't see FCA making it so very much more for the Wrangler line.

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
You said Rubicon with the hard top, V6 and automatic. You said nothing about adding just about every other option.

As I showed you, a Rubicon doesn't have to be a $55K vehicle. It starts at $41K. Optioned with just what you brought up, it's still only $46K.

Entry point for the JT Rubicon will probably be $5K over the JLU, so it'll start in the mid $40's

Sure, you can get every option and it will go north of $60K. But it doesn't have to if you don't want it to.

And, keep in mind that you don't have to get a Rubicon. The base model JLU starts $10K less than the Rubicon. Entry price for the truck will most likely be in the mid to high $30's.

And while the diesel will be $5K over a manual trans V6, $2K of that will be upping to an automatic, meaning just the engine itself is a $3K premium. That's about what it was on the Grand Cherokee for just the engine upgrade. I don't see FCA making it so very much more for the Wrangler line.
I am responding to @wachuko 's post. He provided a build of $55,000.

For the record: FCA doesn't include the price of the transmission in the price of the engine option. For instance, if you select the eTorque motor for $1,000, it forces you to add the automatic transmission for an additional $2,000, adding a combined $3,000 to the price.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I am responding to @wachuko 's post. He provided a build of $55,000. Give it a rest.
He responded to me. It's a multiple person conversation. Those are still allowed, aren't they? Or am I only allowed to quote you when you're responding directly to me? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Something about the Gladiator looked "off" to me, it just looks long. But I think it's just the rear doors. I understand that they probably used the unlimited doors for cost reasons and parts interchangeability, but if they used longer rear doors, it seems (at least to me) the proportions look better. This is just a quick cut-n-paste mock up I did in "paint" (didn't bother blending it), but it doesn't look off to me this way. Doesn't look like a Jeep school bus any more. But that's just IMHO.
You are making too much sense now... :D. It does look better, I agree.

It’s kinda funny that FCA goes through the trouble of creating different wheels, emblems and taillights for JT, but then it wants to save a few pennies by reusing the rear doors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts