Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others, I got my 15 JKU with the base system.
Well after a month or so of different speaker combinations and head units, I have just about perfect sound.

The system as it stands:

430 RBZ
4) KICKER Upgrade 6.5 speakers
4) Stock 2.5 speakers
AudioControl LC2i
KICKER HS8

I have tried the KICKER 3.5 and the OEM Alpine speakers in the dash with hit and miss results. The Alpine have better sound, but the KICKER speakers have better highs and sound stage presence, but both distort with bass issues. Stock 2.5 don't have this issue, but terrible sound.

So this week the KICKER 3.5 go back in with IstallBay Bass blockers on them.
This sound get me the sound I am looking for.

Still might go with Alpine Alpine SPS-610C upfront someday if the sound is not right. But so far, just about perfect.

Might switch out the LC2i for the LC6i instead to gain fade control back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where did you put the Kicker HS8? I'm looking into getting one of these. I've already installed the Kicker 6.5s

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you put the Kicker HS8? I'm looking into getting one of these. I've already installed the Kicker 6.5s
Under the passenger seat. Used the tray on eBay that mounts under the seat and lined it with dynamat. Also OEM Alpine 3.5 speakers are back in wit bass blockers and the sound is near perfect now.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Glad to hear your getting a system together that works for you! Thats what its all about

·
Registered
279 Posts
The premium Alpine sound system on my 15 Rubicon sounds pretty good to me~ But it could be improved but for now I am not in a hurry~ It's a Jeep~ :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Like many others, I got my 15 JKU with the base system.
Well after a month or so of different speaker combinations and head units, I have just about perfect sound.

The system as it stands:

430 RBZ
4) KICKER Upgrade 6.5 speakers
4) Stock 2.5 speakers
AudioControl LC2i
KICKER HS8

I have tried the KICKER 3.5 and the OEM Alpine speakers in the dash with hit and miss results. The Alpine have better sound, but the KICKER speakers have better highs and sound stage presence, but both distort with bass issues. Stock 2.5 don't have this issue, but terrible sound.

So this week the KICKER 3.5 go back in with IstallBay Bass blockers on them.
This sound get me the sound I am looking for.

Still might go with Alpine Alpine SPS-610C upfront someday if the sound is not right. But so far, just about perfect.

Might switch out the LC2i for the LC6i instead to gain fade control back.
Great info. I have the stock system in my 2015 Freedom so I badly need to upgrade the sound. Do you think the Kickers, both 3.5 and 6.5 are that much better than those found in the stock Wrangler system? I've been wondering if I should spend a bit more over the Kickers but if these offer a much better sound I'll be getting the set this weekend.

Also, did you do this yourself and how difficult/easy was if to do?

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info. I have the stock system in my 2015 Freedom so I badly need to upgrade the sound. Do you think the Kickers, both 3.5 and 6.5 are that much better than those found in the stock Wrangler system? I've been wondering if I should spend a bit more over the Kickers but if these offer a much better sound I'll be getting the set this weekend.

Yes, all the KICKER speakers are better. Do the 6.5 all the way around. Then either stock in dash and disconnect sounds bar 2.5s.
Or add the OEM Alpine 3.5 in dash and add bass blockers if using an amp.
Skip the KICKER 3.5. I am selling mine because the Alpines are better.

Sound bar replacement very easy. dash a little tougher, but look it up on YouTube. If done right, dash should take 60 min or so.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What was the cost of your upgrade?
KICKER 6.5s were $68 shipped on Amazon
OEM Alpines $35 ebay shipped
KICKER HS8 $230 shipped on Amazon
Alpine KTP-44U $112 shipped on Amazon
Bass Blockers $8 shipped on Amazon
Amp Tray $35 ebay shipped

$560?

·
Registered
150 Posts

I would personally go for a set of components upfront , so they have a proper crossover built in. Tweeters are easily mounted in the stock location.

I would also highly reccoment amping your speakers. I just upgraded mine and the diff before and after my 5 channel amp install was insane. Allowing the amp to be a HPF of its own is huge on our speakers. Let the Sub do the low end .

I went with the Soundstream Picasso Nano 5 channel, they are very very good amps for great prices.

I highly reccomend getting rid of your stock HU powering your speakers tho!

I upgraded my entire system for 550 bucks and it sounds amazing. Kicker CS series coaxials in rear and components in front, with a compact pioneer 10 inch sub in the back all ran through Soundstream 5 channel amp. After some tuning of the amp i am extremely pleased. The sound is remarkable now and i didnt even go with an AudiControl LC like OP did which is an even better option then the PAC unit i used.

The benefit of the PAC unit i used was it allowed me to not have to splice or cut a single OEM wire. I just spliced into that harness.

Check my thread for more details :)

But take your time and tackle it, its easy!

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would personally go for a set of components upfront , so they have a proper crossover built in. Tweeters are easily mounted in the stock location.

I would also highly reccoment amping your speakers. I just upgraded mine and the diff before and after my 5 channel amp install was insane. Allowing the amp to be a HPF of its own is huge on our speakers. Let the Sub do the low end .

I went with the Soundstream Picasso Nano 5 channel, they are very very good amps for great prices.

I highly reccomend getting rid of your stock HU powering your speakers tho!

I upgraded my entire system for 550 bucks and it sounds amazing. Kicker CS series coaxials in rear and components in front, with a compact pioneer 10 inch sub in the back all ran through Soundstream 5 channel amp. After some tuning of the amp i am extremely pleased. The sound is remarkable now and i didnt even go with an AudiControl LC like OP did which is an even better option then the PAC unit i used.

The benefit of the PAC unit i used was it allowed me to not have to splice or cut a single OEM wire. I just spliced into that harness.

Check my thread for more details :)

But take your time and tackle it, its easy!
I also used the PAC harness and hacked it up instead of the OEM wires as well with the LC2i. The LC2i is amazing and so worth $65. Better and more accurate bass/sound and no roll off of bass when cranked.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I also used the PAC harness and hacked it up instead of the OEM wires as well with the LC2i. The LC2i is amazing and so worth $65. Better and more accurate bass/sound and no roll off of bass when cranked.
I will eventually pickup the LC6i and wire it in. Def a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will eventually pickup the LC6i and wire it in. Def a good idea.
Will be worth it. So much better sound and control. I am switching to the LC6i so I can gain fade again. But sometimes wonder if I need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts