Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's pushing a year since I bought my TJ and I'm proud to announce that I've had to use the 4WD for the first time. Snow and ice has come to CT and boy do I have to say that a stock TJ is one capable Jeep. I've driven mostly FWD cars and now that I've had the opportunity to put my bucket to the test I'll never own a different type of vehicle. I'd have to equate this experience to a proud papa who has just seen his little boy/girl go from crawling to walking... :D Now I'm here at work looking out the window wishing I was out driving around.

·
Registered
140 Posts
IMO It's probably a good idea to find a place to put it in 4w, just to put a couple of miles on it each month. You don't even have to do any 4-wheelin'. Mechanical stuff generally has a longer life if it is utilized.

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Yup, it feels great to know your jeep can get you just about anywhere you wanna go. :D
I've liked jeeps since I was a little girl but I really appreciated my jeep when I came home from working swingshift one night to find a huge berm of snow and gravel had been plowed across my driveway. I just put my old stock YJ into 4low and went right over/through it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bought my first jeep (98 SE) last month and am amazed at how capable it is offroad even with bald tires and bad shocks. I can't wait to see how it does with a minor lift and some tires with tread. Sounds like you got a bit more snow in CT than we did in RI. We have about an inch of slush but that's it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I go to University of Illinois and we got two consecutive snow days. First time we have had a snow day since 79. I am about to go use my 4wd for the first time. Any tips? Wish me luck!

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i think i put mine in 4wd at least 4 times a month. i go wheeling at least once a week. of course its not hours of wheeling but i do stop by the local trail at least once a week and do 3 or 4 hill climbs.

good job!

·
Registered
118 Posts
IMO It's probably a good idea to find a place to put it in 4w, just to put a couple of miles on it each month. You don't even have to do any 4-wheelin'. Mechanical stuff generally has a longer life if it is utilized.
Can't you just put it in 4 high on the roads for a short trip or something? Does that cause any probs?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah I know about wanting to kick it into 4WD about once an month, I do it when its raining hard and I've got a straight-away to go down, its just that I've never need it I only did it for kicks before even when I was off-road one time, I could have made it through everything in 2WD. Here in the Hartford area we got about 4 inches so far and now its all these little ice B-B's that sting when you get hit with them. The plows are doing an OK job but there are some areas that they've plowed about a foot of snow in an area and you have to drive through it. My old VW Jetta would have never made it through that.

And Blue Boy I know what you mean about school in Illinois, I was born and raised in DeKalb until I was 9, I can't remember a time school ever got shut down. I remember as a kid the snow drifting over the front door and I still had to go to school. I moved to CT and they'll close the schools if its 'too cold' outside.

·
Really?
6,455 Posts
Sweet! I pulled mine into 4 hi yesterday.....Had to go 4 Lo today to get out of the driveway! She got up on top and went right out! Damn...I wish I'd have gotten one of these years ago! :p

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
This is what i have bein waiting for! a day that everyone gets stuck in school and i can just pull away no problem..... only thing is that when I hit a bump the lever to pull up (whats the proper name for it?) it gets bumped out of the groove and either disengages if it goes down and if it goes up it will make a horrible sound of teeth grinding.... any one know what the problem could be?

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
I went down to the hunting club today and removed my stand. Picked up the Cuddleback and feeders. It was very muddy down there. I had to do the 4wd thing to get in and out. I also have a nice mud speckled paint job, now.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Used 4H most of the day with commercial snow care. I to wished had the money years ago to get 4 wheel. It is an absolute joy to drive. Although it was very slippery in SE-WI today, as I nearly went through intersections 4 times. I'm wondering if it is the new tires on this '06 tj X 4L i6 6sp...?

Seems like the tires dont grab as well as they could. Oh well in 4H it will eat snow, in 4L it strips snow down to cement.

C.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sweet! I pulled mine into 4 hi yesterday.....Had to go 4 Lo today to get out of the driveway! She got up on top and went right out! Damn...I wish I'd have gotten one of these years ago! :p
Same here....getting out of the driveway in 4wheel drive was pretty neat since we mostly got sleet/ice and a tad of snow.

The Wrangler performed OUTSTANDING!!!!:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just find a dirt road that's loose on top, or a field you can roll around in for a couple of laps.

·
Registered
858 Posts
hi all. first post here. i've had my '04 unlimited for only a few days and got to use 4WD for the first time the other day. here in VA we got a couple inches of sleet and i found myself driving on unplowed roads with no problem in 4H. sweet - i'm so happy i finally got a jeep!

edit: btw this is my first 4WD vehicle. i noticed something funny the other day - i was pulling a u-turn while in 4WD and the turning/steering felt funny. is this normal? the truck runs great and smooth otherwise.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
edit: btw this is my first 4WD vehicle. i noticed something funny the other day - i was pulling a u-turn while in 4WD and the turning/steering felt funny. is this normal? the truck runs great and smooth otherwise.
Yes. It is normal in that it acts that way when you drive on pavement. DON'T DO IT. That's very bad for your jeep. There has to be some slippage when you use the 4 wheel or you coiuld break something.

Welcome to wf, by the way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts