Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few months of no lift, flat fenders and 35 inch kevlars I decided to do a 3 inch lift and 37s along with gears, gussets and sleeves.

Because this is a $7k jump I need any input on the most economical 3 inch lift kit. It doesn't have to be the cheapest but I'd like it to be the most value. It's mostly an overlander/mall crawler. I don't do much rocks or trails but it does cross my path every once I'm a while. Just to give you an idea of what I use it for.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Most of the quality 2.5" spring lifts will net more like 3-3.5"
I put a Teraflex 2.5" spring lift on my JK and 2.5" TF springs with 1" spacers on the Wifes JKU. Both with 35s and Rancho 9000s. Mine drives great no other mods. Hers was a bit twitchy so I put on the Rancho control arm brackets and it settled down . Both drive better than stock.Both have enough room to run 37s if we wanted to. I have Smittybuilt flat fenders on mine for trail use.
Priced out your looking at under a grand plus install. Hard to beat the performance for the price.

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
As I'm sure you know, 37s take things to the next level. Things need to be done right for that big tire to sit inside the wheel wells correctly. Don't skimp on your lift, everyone says "I won't be wheeling it much" but the weight of a 37" tire will wreck havoc on your Jeep even on city streets and especially at highway speeds. Wheeling or not, you need to do it right to be safe. IMO :)

Look for a kit that addresses:
  • Axle centering- track bars
  • Axle position, pinion angle- control arms
  • Brake lines or extensions
  • Bumpstops
  • Endlinks
  • Springs (duh, I know)
  • Shocks
You'll find that most of the complete kits will price out about the same.
Rock Krawler
Teraflex
Mopar
AEV
Metal Cloak (a little pricier, but VERY nice)

Couple of other things:
  • I'd highly recommend a kit with control arms. <repeated for emphasis
  • Consider some type of brake upgrade to help with the extra unsprung weight.
  • Decrease your BS if you're ordering new wheels, 3.5" is a good place to start
  • From my experience the rear axle shafts won't last long, you can be proactive and replace those if funds allow

Good luck and have fun! :thumb:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go with a rock krawler 2.5 flex with fox 2.0 shocks and resevoirs. Is there any reason I should have a pro install it instead of doing it myself? Do I need the fox steering stabilizer also?

is there any reason why I shouldnt do this kit?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go with a rock krawler 2.5 flex with fox 2.0 shocks and resevoirs. Is there any reason I should have a pro install it instead of doing it myself? Do I need the fox steering stabilizer also? is there any reason why I shouldnt do this kit?
With only 2.5" lift and 37" be ready to cut your rear pinch seams because of rubbing at articulation. Sooner or later you will need a new front driveshaft. Fox ATS stabilizer is recommended.

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go with a rock krawler 2.5 flex with fox 2.0 shocks and resevoirs. Is there any reason I should have a pro install it instead of doing it myself? Do I need the fox steering stabilizer also?

is there any reason why I shouldnt do this kit?
Great choice. :thumb:

That kit will be a breeze to install with common tools. I wouldn't worry about the stabilizer.

You'll have some issues in the rear when the Jeep is flexed. You can add bump stops to keep it from happening, or add control arms later to correct it. Also will likely have to trim the rear pinch seams when/IF the rear is fully stuffed.

EDIT: looks like Moonrider beat me to the pinch seams :)

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
I ran the RE monotubes (rebadged/tuned bilstein 5100's) on my previous RE 2.5 kit. Now I have the new Rk triple rate max travel kit w/ bilstein 5100's.

To be honest, the setup feels very similar in ride quality. So either or is great. WF members also highly rave about rancho's as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts