Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Frame is ready to go to go get powder coated. Transmission off the motor and ready to go to the transmission shop. Tera-low is together and going to go to the transmission shop with the trans to make sure I did everything right and there are no parts that need to be replaced. 8.8 is at the welder getting the spring perches welded on. I will send the front axle to my mechanic up the street to install the 4:56 and ARB. When he is done with the front and when my C-clip eliminators are in I'll send the rear to him to replace all the bearings and seals in the 8.8. Tomorrow night we will start on the body and get it ready to ryno-line. Moving along.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So I didn't get to sand blast the tub last night because harbor freight didn't have any machines in stock. Guess that was a good thing cause my buddy has one he is going to let me use. I decided to go ahead and send the tub over to my body shop so he can fix an area on the lip where the top sits down.
Frame will be back middle to end of next week from powder coat and then I should be able to start putting my rolling chassis together.

photo 1 (3).JPG

photo 2 (3).JPG

photo (44).jpg

Any comments are welcome. Beginning to think I am talking to myself. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Got the tub back from the body shop after they fixed a couple of places where new metal needed to be welded in. Not rust related just pieces where the metal had fatigued and broke out.
Sand blasting wasn't really going as fast as I wanted it because of all the years of grime and crap on the underside of the tub so I went and got some paint stripper and putty knifes and we went to work. Now its ready to be blasted down to metal. After that I will seal the metal and the apply the rafter liner. I have used the rafter liner material before and really like it. I really like the spray type of application over the roller. Can get in more areas that way VS the roller.

photo 3 (2).JPG

photo 1 (4).JPG

photo 2 (4).JPG

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Oh and the frame will be ready to pick up Friday from powder coat. Can't wait to see it. If anyone is wondering, this rig will not be a trailer queen or one that just sees highway miles. I plan on beating on it. I just wanted to powder coat the frame because.
1. For $375.00 I could not strip and paint it for that.
2. I believe that powder coating is the best bet for keeping rust and rot away over a traditional type of paint.
3. It looks bad ass :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Motor is coming along also. Going to get the dist cleaned and installed tonight along with the throttle body. That's a new exhaust manifold since my original was cracked. $100.00 from Bishop Industries out of Dallas TX. They handle all kinds of new and reconditioned engine and transmission/parts. Good quality and good company to deal with.

photo (45).JPG

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
How's that body coming? Looks like a complete PITA scraping that undercoating & grime off. I'm dreading having to do the same thing to mine.

Did you power wash it before starting with the putty knives and wire brushes?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yes washed it off and then went after it with the paint stripper. Its actually a pretty easy job with the paint stripper.
Body is ready to start sand blasting but we have been slammed this past week at the shop. Plus I fired a problem employee today so we are back to being short handed.
That's OK though, we will get it done :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
How's that body coming? Looks like a complete PITA scraping that undercoating & grime off. I'm dreading having to do the same thing to mine.

Did you power wash it before starting with the putty knives and wire brushes?
Use that Purple Power stuff and let it soak. Then after take the pressure washer to it. I had to use a brush in a few places, but not many and my underside is uber clean. Best pic I have of it...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Yes washed it off and then went after it with the paint stripper. Its actually a pretty easy job with the paint stripper.
Body is ready to start sand blasting but we have been slammed this past week at the shop. Plus I fired a problem employee today so we are back to being short handed.
That's OK though, we will get it done :)
What type of paint stripper? The orange puke lookin stuff (aircraft paint stripper)?
Sorry to hear youre short handed again, hard to find good help these days.

Use that Purple Power stuff and let it soak. Then after take the pressure washer to it. I had to use a brush in a few places, but not many and my underside is uber clean. Best pic I have of it...
My problem is that I'm in Kalifornia...and using almost any cleaner is damn near impossible. EPA Nazi's out here. I will look for Purple Power at the parts stores, not sure we have it here. Hope so because the underside of your Jeep looks awesome!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Great project.. nice to have a rust free jeep.. Are your rear shocks upside down? Or are mine :)
They're upside down. They were being used for mock up at the time I took that pic. The rig was immaculate when I got it. No more pics of my rig in this thread after this though. I don't want to hijack. :D

Hell if I know :)

Don't think there is any right or wrong way on the rears. I think I am going to do mine the other way this time though.
Depends on the shock. The "right" way to do it is tube down/rod up, but some shocks you can run rod down. Some do this for clearance reasons so that the shock body doesn't get damaged.

Oh man!!!! Frame turned out better than I could have asked for. :dance:
They even did my trans?t-case skid plate. Looks brand new. :punk:

View attachment 170220

View attachment 170221

View attachment 170222
Those guys do great work! You're well on your way to having a great looking YJ.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sweet baby Jesus! If I had the time, finances, shop, and minions running around Id do the same thing! I do powdercoating at my work but our oven is nowhere big enough to do a frame :( Keep it up!!! Just might do the blue on my 4.0 when I get around to the rebuild :)

41 - 60 of 279 Posts