Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finished welding up the truss and gussets last night

came out ok . not bad for a few bucks in metal

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock 3.73s, open carrier for now, stock shafts with alloy USA u joints. so far so good. it has taken a beating and has held up really well.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just rebuilt a 8.8 axle thats waiting to go in when i get the time. I rebuilt the LSD in it with the ford racing clutch pack and over packed it. when it dies ill put a detroit in it. the front i will leave open for now. I dont run 4wd when at speed. The jeep is down but its not a daily driver for me. just sees trailer and trails for the very most part.

Got the axle painted up

·
Registered
199 Posts
You welded mild steel to cast iron? With a MIG welder? Don't hold your breathe on that lasting. Cast iron is notoriously tough to weld, it should be done with a TIG welder and lots of experience, and NEVER welded to mild steel, or any steel for that matter, HSS, Tool, or Stainless. It just isn't gonna hold over the long run. The ideal solution is to build a truss solely out of steel, and then devise a way to bolt it to that D30 using U-bolts of some sort. Good luck with it, looks like your in too deep to turn around now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
cpainter56 said:
You welded mild steel to cast iron? With a MIG welder? Don't hold your breathe on that lasting. Cast iron is notoriously tough to weld, it should be done with a TIG welder and lots of experience, and NEVER welded to mild steel, or any steel for that matter, HSS, Tool, or Stainless. It just isn't gonna hold over the long run. The ideal solution is to build a truss solely out of steel, and then devise a way to bolt it to that D30 using U-bolts of some sort. Good luck with it, looks like your in too deep to turn around now.
Looking at those pictures a second time, it almost looks like a TIG weld. Lots of temperature variation. Please elaborate on what you did, I'm interested.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
tig with a high nickle rod on the cast and we used mig on one spot due to a gap on the "C" but then we ran out of wire lol. if it breaks off im out 75 bucks for a used dana 30 at the yard. ive had the long tube section done for a while and its held up to some big hits and a couple dozen long woop sections. Myself and a friend built it, we know it wont hold forever but it is done very often and with good results in jeep speed competition. the biggest deal is to make sure the cast is clean which is very hard to do when dealing with contour and a rough textured surface. I had the whole axle blasted before we welded it up so it was perfect to weld too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah I noticed the axle had been blasted, that will probably be your saving grace. Good luck with it, I'd like to see some pics of the finished project when it gets there.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im sure its bent a little somewhere especially after all the weldng. so far it drives no different then the day i took it home from tteh dealer.
almost have it all back in.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
got it all in and drove it for a couple hours yesterday. tracks perfect and am glad its all back together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts