Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up til now, I’ve largely been the Lurkingest Lurker That Ever Lurked here on WF- and learned a lot in the process- but I finally got my Wrangler! My local dealer had one that was a tow hitch away from meeting my exact wish list, and I negotiated a hitch install into the deal. (Got around 1.5% below invoice overall.) It’s a Flame Red Unlimited Sport S with a manual tranny and these options:
  • Dual tops
  • Connectivity
  • 3.73 gearing
  • Trac-Lok
Day1TopOn.JPG Day1TopOff.JPG

This will be my DD and weekend warrior transport for the family and my 2 mutts. No hardcore offroading is planned, but we like to get off the beaten path fairly frequently- easy trails, forest service roads and whatnot.

First mods planned are pretty big-ticket items. On order now are:
  • 5 17” Mopar “Classic 5 Hole” rims
  • 5 BFG T/A KO in size 285/70/R17
To be ordered very soon:
  • Gobi Stealth rack
After that, the plan is to slowly add to the rig via scouring CL and the For Sale forum here on WF for takeoffs and other budget-friendly opportunities.

Initial impressions:
  • Man, is this thing fun to drive, or what?! :punk:
  • Man, is that soft top a b!tch to install, or what?! (I’m hoping the late spring and summer heat stretches it out a bit.)
  • The headlights aren't nearly as bad as I figured. (I have a ’76 VW Bus, so my standards are pretty low in the lighting area, haha.)
Looking forward to being an actual active member around here now!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Congrats man! Looks great, and yes the soft top will get easier to manage, I can actually put up and take down the top to mine solo now after just a month of ownership. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about with the headlights, they work for me.

Enjoy the Jeep!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nice jeep yo uwill have many fun miles in it.
The headlights suck lol. I cant wait ot get hid's in mine

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats! I dig all the crazy Jeep colors, but you never can go wrong with red.

I've had mine for just about a year and still absolutely love it. So much fun to strip it down and just head to the store (for no reason other than wanting to go for a ride). Your kids will love it too... oh and so will the mutts!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Congrats!

Good call on hitting the "important/expensive/hard to install later" options. Hard top, 3.73's, LSD, and Connectivity are all items that will save you a lot of time and money if you order them from the factory.

·
Registered
440 Posts
WOW, so that's what a stock Red JKU looks like
Son got one, but didn't stay that way for long, forgot what it looked like when he came home the first time.
Nice capture, enjoy the journey

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Congrats on the new Jeep! Now, the fun begins!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
congrats on the purchase !!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... yes the soft top will get easier to manage, I can actually put up and take down the top to mine solo now after just a month of ownership.
Thx for this nugget of hope!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats! I dig all the crazy Jeep colors, but you never can go wrong with red.

I've had mine for just about a year and still absolutely love it. So much fun to strip it down and just head to the store (for no reason other than wanting to go for a ride). Your kids will love it too... oh and so will the mutts!
Yeah, the mutts love nothing more than piling up in the VW, where they are guaranteed plentiful fresh air and visibility. They're gonna go bananas when I slap on some Safari Straps or something along those lines.

Colors... It just so happens Flame Red is the only one of my favorites i could get ~right now~. If 2015 sees the return of Cosmos Blue, Sahara Tan or Detonator Yellow (or the new green looks anything like the old Sahara green), I'm gonna have to try and sell the wife on the 'his & hers', 2-door/4-door thing.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Jeep replaces a 2006 Nissan Titan V8 king cab with the offroad package, tow package and an awesome Rockford Fosgate sound system. Needless to say, there are a couple of things I'll occasionally miss about my old daily driver. There's nothing quite like the fun of a truly "hands on" driving experience, though. With the VW (a '76 manual poptop camper), my wife's 2006 325i (manual, premium package, sports package) and now the Jeep, all the members of my household fleet are a fun drive for different reasons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts