Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ive tried several finder blacks, olive oil, tire black and even the heat gun method. Ive got an 04 and want to do something with those ashy looking finders. Living in Fl with the heat and salt mist and acid rain dont help. Im thinking of removing them and painting them. Im thinking flat black..... suggestions on paint or would you just buy some new ones? If i paint them how well does it last and will it turn the same ole chalky look? I know they are plastic......... hate to sand them since they are textured so whats the process? Mineral spirits.... and just do it to it?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ok, ive tried several finder blacks, olive oil, tire black and even the heat gun method. Ive got an 04 and want to do something with those ashy looking finders. Living in Fl with the heat and salt mist and acid rain dont help. Im thinking of removing them and painting them. Im thinking flat black..... suggestions on paint or would you just buy some new ones? If i paint them how well does it last and will it turn the same ole chalky look? I know they are plastic......... hate to sand them since they are textured so whats the process? Mineral spirits.... and just do it to it?
If you are going to paint them apparently you should use an adhesion promoter. Thats what others have used here. I would search around for threads on it.

Otherwise there is another product 'Forever Black' that is more like a color recoat for plastic fenders and bumpers, et cetera. Some here have used it and said it worked well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've seen alot of posts claiming that the Crylon fusion paint works really well. (I'll let you know this summer; ) If you want to go legit, see what Eastwood has to offer. Their rattle cans aren't cheap, but I painted door panels using their paint and prep with excellent results.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Best bet is to paint. All the methods you mentioned won't last in the long run. Krylon Fusion works greats. Many on the board have used it as well as I.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
IMO I had "better than average" results using a green scratchy, masking and painting while still on the Jeep. Paint used was Rustoleum "Hammered" in black.......however was a bit of a "moot point" as I replaced entire fender eventually.
Pics

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mar Hyde. Its the best stuff by far. My finders were almost grey on my 97 when I got it. Sprayed the finders, mud flaps and running boards 2 years ago. Still look new.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Like many have said krylon fusion. I went with black satin and it looks awesome. Slide some notecards in the cracks and just go to town. As with all things in a spray can just remember to not hold it still. Start moving, spray, stop spraying then stop moving. I got a run and that's my only regret as it was easily avoidable. Definitely worth the 5 bucks of paint. Looks like 1000 times better even know over a year later.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with the Fusion in black flat..... errors are less noticable. Wife and friends were impressed with the outcome. Now to see how long it lasts here in Fl. I had tried a couple of the wipe on products..... 3 mos. max.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts