Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're is everyone storing their fire extinguishers in a JKU that won't interfere with the soft top. I bought a mount for the roll bar while I still had the hard top on but I can't find a good spot there that won't interfere when you fold the soft top all the way back.

ForumRunner_20150331_202119.jpg

I forgot to take a picture with the top folded all the way back but if I put it up high like this it barely clears the soft top but it makes it difficult to remove the FE when the top is up.

Is everyone just using those seat mounts either in front of or next to the front seats?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I have mine mounted on the underside of the top horizontal roll bar on the driver side. I have a 2 door. I have a Rugged Ridge mounting harness, similar to the one pictured. There is zero interference with manipulating my soft top.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Ours is in a Smittybuilt velcro harness on the same bar you have yours but on the other side of the bar (on the inboard side). Down lower near the base of that roll bar.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ours is in a Smittybuilt velcro harness on the same bar you have yours but on the other side of the bar (on the inboard side). Down lower near the base of that roll bar.
I might try that. Does it interfere with the seat belt at all?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I refuse to store my in the best spot......which is along your seat rail, right below the seatback levers.

When it is stored there, you can easily get to it if you are ever pinned in, and you also don't have to worry about it becoming a flying projectile.

The ONLY reason why I don't keep mine there is because I don't carry a wallet...I carry a money clip and a card holder instead. And unfortunately, I've found out that my metal card holder WILL put holes in my back pockets, so I often have it in my front pockets (or leg pockets in cargo short/pants). Well, I have to be careful when I sit down or else these items will fall out of my pockets. I can usually find them on the floor of the Jeep., but I'm worried that if a put a fire extinguisher there, if something falls out of my left pocket, there is a good change that it will hit the fire extinguisher and bounce out the door (of topless) or up against the door (and will fall out when I open it).

Long story I know....but I still think it is the best place.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
View attachment 2057489

Driver side over the back seat between the sound bar and cross bar on the roll bar. I have had a passenger back there 6' and it didn't interfere with his head room. Now going down a trail it may have just from bouncing around but not road driving

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
I chose to mount it on the soundbar. I was worried about it interfering as well with the soft top and also didnt want it too easily accessable that it could grow legs and walk off while driving around town.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Bit of friendly advice here. Get it closer to the driver. Most of us (self included) carry a 3# tank which isn't all much. If something is going bad you need to get out and get blasting quickly and while still small. Going around your jeep, into the rear passenger side, around the c pillar is less than ideal. Mine rides behind the driver's seat on the B pillar. I've tested and can remove one handed as I exit.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Bit of friendly advice here. Get it closer to the driver. Most of us (self included) carry a 3# tank which isn't all much. If something is going bad you need to get out and get blasting quickly and while still small. Going around your jeep, into the rear passenger side, around the c pillar is less than ideal. Mine rides behind the driver's seat on the B pillar. I've tested and can remove one handed as I exit.
Thats another reason to have mine above my head, its on the DRAKE mount and has a quick release as well.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No sir it stays put and no issues.
Awesome. I'm going to try putting mine there today. Do you happen to have a picture? I'm wondering if your fire extinguisher is smaller or something because every time I looked at putting it there it seems like the seat belt will rest on it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I ended up finding a spot on the rear roll bar that just barely fits. It doesn't interfere with the top in the up or down position.

ForumRunner_20150413_201944.jpg

Any higher and you can't remove the FE; any lower and the top hits it when it's folded back; any farther left and it interferes with operating the top up and down; and farther right and it hits the soft window. Found the sweet spot! Lol

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
So I ended up finding a spot on the rear roll bar that just barely fits. It doesn't interfere with the top in the up or down position.

View attachment 2095145

Any higher and you can't remove the FE; any lower and the top hits it when it's folded back; any farther left and it interferes with operating the top up and down; and farther right and it hits the soft window. Found the sweet spot! Lol
The problem I can see with that is its about the furthest away from the driver as you can get. I just pray that NONE of us ever have to use these.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem I can see with that is its about the furthest away from the driver as you can get. I just pray that NONE of us ever have to use these.
Agreed. I'm looking at getting a 2nd smaller fire extinguisher to mount either in front of or next to the drivers seat.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
next to driver and passenger seat

Used to be able to get these really nice mounts from Dietech for 2.5# bottles, but evidently they don't make them any more.

I had some 10ga aluminum plate, and some spray on bed liner so made some plates that wouldn't require drilling holes in the seat frames. Bolts through the original center hole in the seat frame, and then clamps to the seat frame at the ends.
Very easy to make using some cardboard for patterns.

Thought the fire extinguishers would bounce around and rattle, but for some reason they don't. They also don't rub on the seat upholstery. Happy about that. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts