Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently came across the deal of a life time, and had to pick it up. I am a career Firefighter/EMT and have been around the fire service all my life. For as long as I can remember I have always wanted a Jeep brush truck. So about a month ago a neighboring fire company's chief called me and asked if I would be interested in purchasing there retired brush piece, which is a 1972 CJ5 complete with the water tank, pump, and hose reel as it was when it was in service. So of course I jumped at the opportunity. Upon really getting into this thing I have found that it needs ALOT of body work. This thing only has 13,000 miles on it, but it has been a fire truck since it was new and is VERY beat. I owned fords before I bought my Jeep, so I know rust repair but this is just a little more than I think I can handle on my own. The frame is in great shape and I plan to make sure that it stays that way, but I wish I could say that much for the body. That being said I am tossing around the idea of just buying a new tub. I am somewhat leaning towards a fiberglass tub due to the no rust factor. My only worry is with the weight of the tank and pump assembly. The pump is set up like a skid unit and sits on 2 4X4's. It only weighs about 70lbs “give or take a little” empty, but it holds 60 gallons of water when full which comes out to about 500.4 pounds just in water weight. My worry with the fiberglass tub is that the weight will potentially crack and break the fiberglass tub. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? I need some input on this before I go spending $1,300 on a new tub and find out that I made a mistake.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
That thing is freak'n cool man!! Used to be in a fire dept so I know where you are coming from. I would love to have something like that and be able to restore it. Sorry I wouldn't know about the fiberglass tub and weight, I had to respond for the love of the fire service, however I'm sure it could be modified with some work. I hope you find your answer and keep us posted on the progress. I'd love to see more images as you go along.

you're a lucky dude

·
Registered
483 Posts
That is a cool piece of history! I was a career firefighter with almost 25yrs of service. Don't know much about the glass tubs, but maybe build a frame from 2" square tube with a couple center supports to help spread the weight it "could" work, just spit balling here. I think the best thing would be contact the supplier of the glass tub and explain what you have and see if they have any concerns about the weight or thoughts on mounting to prevent damage.

Option B:
Depending on your skills and available equipment, you can buy just about every piece of sheet metal (or form your own) to rebuild it and keep it as original as you can. Either way, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Stay safe brother!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts