Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 1563 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
So I’m just curious, is there anyway that citizens can sue? And who would I sue? Regarding the fact that they’ll sell me firearms but they won’t sell me ammo? Anybody heard of lawsuits? I’m sure there’s got to be some out there, I don’t normally jump on the bandwagon but I’m compelled this time around.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Please explain. This seems to be contrary to all that I have found.
What's to explain? If it wasn't for the actions of the NRA the background checks would still be in force. No politician blocked this unconstitutional action.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The background checks ARE still in force, unfortunately.

The suit made its way to federal court

Judge Benitez (aka “Saint Benitez”) ruled in Rhodes v. Becerra that the ammo background check and restrictions on interstate commerce provisions of prop 63 are illegal and issues an injunction to all CA LEOs against enforcement of those provisions

Becerra files to block the injunction and is turned down

Becerra then files an appeal with the 9th Circuit, who then issue a stay of Benitez’s injunction, essentially nullifying his ruling and putting the ammo background check and prohibition against mail order purchases of ammo back in force.

Now we wait for this to go to a hearing by the 9th circuit (usually 3-judge panel) which will probably take months to happen and then weeks or months for a ruling.

So it’s gonna be a while before we see relief...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I moved to Missouri about 7 weeks ago. I got my driver's license, plates, and had my CCW class yesterday. I have an appointment with the Sheriff's office in Tuesday to do the final bit and get my CCW in this state.
Good on ya. Missouri is a good state (as long as you don't get too close to St Louis) in which to both carry and enjoy your firearms. They also honor my license to carry which is another reason I like it there. Enjoy.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My wife and I are currently looking for a place to escape CA; Its tough to find a place in the west that isn't already on a track to turn anti-gun within my remaining lifetime. Heck, when I was a kid growing up in CA, we would ride our bikes across town with our 22s to go to the woods and shoot cans. Now look at it; its actually illegal for anyone under 18 in California to even posses a BB gun!

Oregon and Coloroado are clearly both headed in that direction very fast. I'm sure Texas and Arizona aren't far behind based on changing demographics and voting patterns...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Texas is great. It'll be a while before Texans allow folks to Californicate it. Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho come to mind. It may be too late for Colorado. Missouri is my boyhood home, but the cost of living is low (coming from California and selling a house there, you could live like a king here). The areas around Table Rock lake are beautiful and you could still be a "boat person" if you are so inclined.

...not to mention the fly fishing for trout is pretty sweet too.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Good on ya. Missouri is a good state (as long as you don't get too close to St Louis) in which to both carry and enjoy your firearms. They also honor my license to carry which is another reason I like it there. Enjoy.
Got it. I took the class and test last week. I had my appointment with the Sheriff's office yesterday for finger printing n' such, and this morning I got the call from the sheriff to come pick it up. Other than the $50 class fee, and $100 for the county, it was a short and satisfying process.

Missouri is a constitutional carry state, but there are real benefits to having the actual permit in where you can carry but, mostly, for the benefit of travel out of the state.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You just moved Missouri into my list of places to look into.... :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You just moved Missouri into my list of places to look into.... :)
Don't forget...we also have the StL baseball Cardinals and the KC Chiefs!

SW MO is vacation heaven. I really like the Rocky Mountains, but I can't afford to live there. The cost of living here is low, the lakes are so large that if you need to scratch a big boat itch...you can. If you have property in CA, you'll be amazed at what you can get here for much less. The one thing you'll be impressed with (maybe negatively) is thunderstorms. Folks from CA aren't used to this much thunder and lightning and hail....but I like it!

·
Registered
556 Posts
FWIW, I think Texas is looking dangerously "purple" to me.. I almost moved there about 20 years ago, but would not do it today.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Don't forget...we also have the StL baseball Cardinals and the KC Chiefs!

SW MO is vacation heaven. I really like the Rocky Mountains, but I can't afford to live there. The cost of living here is low, the lakes are so large that if you need to scratch a big boat itch...you can. If you have property in CA, you'll be amazed at what you can get here for much less. The one thing you'll be impressed with (maybe negatively) is thunderstorms. Folks from CA aren't used to this much thunder and lightning and hail....but I like it!
FWIW, I think Texas is looking dangerously "purple" to me.. I almost moved there about 20 years ago, but would not do it today.
Most but not all states have both great and sad areas. This is coming from someone who has spent time in nearly every state in the country. As an example, I live in Indiana but in the far southern sector only. This area of the state is very conservative and possibly the most firearm friendly in the country while other parts are not so much. Missouri is much the same which is why I mentioned avoiding St. Louis earlier. ;) The one thing about Indiana I appreciate is the fact that there is no training required to acquire a license to carry. I am 100% plus all for proper training and practice but also 100% against government required courses to retain such a right. Nothing in the Constitution allows states to require such things. Shall not be infringed should mean just that and even the requirement to have a license, permit or any other such terminology is such an infringement but these are the times in which we live.

Texas has a number of other issues I have a problem with. Personally, the southeastern states and I are more compatible than anywhere else due to my conservative beliefs but every one of those also has both good and bad areas.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Missouri has no training, but they do require that you can at least hit a target at close range.

I have two pistols, a Ruger SR1911, and a Sig P365. The class instructor asked me to bring them for the range session. I didn't have target ammo for either. I did have defensive rounds, but those are pretty pricey to be sending downrange at paper. (I'm really going to have to rethink my strategy of only buying ammo when I'm headed to the range. I'm starting to think 50,000 rounds in every caliber sounds about right. )

So the instructor said he had a .22 pistol I could borrow. Great. I did have .22 ammo.

I get to the range. Missouri says you must be able to put 15 out of 20 rounds into the main section of a man size silhouette at 21 feet. ...About a circle 16" in diameter. No time limit. Just shoot.

I'm used to a combat hold (put the front dot on top of where you want the bullet to go. This little .22 put my first mag of 10 about 2" above the bullseye. I hold lower for the second mag. All is going well until I have a misfire. I eject it and carry on.

The instructor said, "You pass. 19 out of 20."

No! I get another round! . That makes it sound like I can't hit the target! Well...I passed.... but it pissed me off.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Missouri has no training, but they do require that you can at least hit a target at close range.

I have two pistols, a Ruger SR1911, and a Sig P365. The class instructor asked me to bring them for the range session. I didn't have target ammo for either. I did have defensive rounds, but those are pretty pricey to be sending downrange at paper. (I'm really going to have to rethink my strategy of only buying ammo when I'm headed to the range. I'm starting to think 50,000 rounds in every caliber sounds about right. )

So the instructor said he had a .22 pistol I could borrow. Great. I did have .22 ammo.

I get to the range. Missouri says you must be able to put 15 out of 20 rounds into the main section of a man size silhouette at 21 feet. ...About a circle 16" in diameter. No time limit. Just shoot.

I'm used to a combat hold (put the front dot on top of where you want the bullet to go. This little .22 put my first mag of 10 about 2" above the bullseye. I hold lower for the second mag. All is going well until I have a misfire. I eject it and carry on.

No! I get another round! . That makes it sound like I can't hit the target! Well...I passed.... but it pissed me off.
Quite a contradictory statement. You say there is no training then go on to speak of a class and an instructor??? Makes no sense. To own guns and no ammo or being too cheap to use what ammo you do have is ridiculous. If you're not shooting with the ammo you intend to carry regularly and in volume, please don't carry. It's all part of showing personal responsibility. Sorry guy but it's just the way it is. Or at least should be. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
556 Posts

Doh! That sounds frustrating. Very tough to just take someone else's pistol and expect to be accurate with the first shot, especially while you know you're being watched by someone with a clipboard.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Quite a contradictory statement. You say there is no training then go on to speak of a class and an instructor??? Makes no sense. To own guns and no ammo or being too cheap to use what ammo you do have is ridiculous. If you're not shooting with the ammo you intend to carry regularly and in volume, please don't carry. It's all part of showing personal responsibility. Sorry guy but it's just the way it is. Or at least should be. :rolleyes:
Classroom training, yes. The instructor plus a couple of CDs to watch on legal stuff. There was even a test. I was referring to shooting training specifically. The shooting I did was not training, per se, ...you did have to demonstrate that you could hit the target. That's they point I was trying to get across.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Relax. I do normally keep it and I do shoot my carry ammo. .... Originally, I thought I'd clarify a bit, but...

F...k it. No one answers to you or is obliged to meet your standard. Certainly not me. Your opinion is often informative and appreciated, but not always correct. Like now. You don't know the circumstances in this case and it's none of your business. You seem like a nice sort, but I've noticed you tend to read too much into things with too little information, erring on the side of whatever is going to make you feel a little pious and self-righteous.

1541 - 1560 of 1563 Posts