Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Insert something witty...
596 Posts
I just bought a pre-made kit from Johnson and Johnson. Basic bandages and such. Nothing too extravagant.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did like how the xterra incorporated their first aid kit in the tailgate. Where are jk owners mounting theirs?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've got a kit that mounts to my smittybuilt GEAR tailgate cover. Just got a kit on amazon that was already packed in a MOLLE bag

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
I have a largish kit that I bought and built up with extra stuff that I keep in my "oh s**t" kit.
My wife and I carry duplicate kits in our vehicles that I keep updated every year.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i bought one of those big sams club kits, and then added stuff for stitches, splits, etc. have never had to do stitches yet.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I have a largish kit that I bought and built up with extra stuff that I keep in my "oh s**t" kit.
My wife and I carry duplicate kits in our vehicles that I keep updated every year.
It totally depends on what you anticipate, and think you may need to prevent. I go to a lot of disaster zones...here's some of the things I carry in mine, for myself and others:

Iodine.
Butterfly bandages.
Duct tape (wrapped around broken pencils and kept in 35mm film cans).
Sawyer extractor pump kit for snakebites.
One-way CPR mask.
Israeli field dressings.
Military-grade surgical instrument and suture set w/ various size sutures
and needle combos.
SAM splints.
Latex gloves.
Tampons / Maxi Pads.
Benadryl.
Sunscreen.
Eyewash.
Rehydration salt.
Acetaminophen.
Ibuprofin.
Hydrocortisone cream.
Superglue.

Probably leaving some stuff out. Didn't go out and actually open the pack...watching Stanford / OK State...lazy. :D

The list I provided above should pretty much cover things. Don't overthink, and don't carry too much. A lot of things included in first aid kits is boo-boo stuff, junk. I keep all this in two Mountainsmith bags attached to my rear roll bars. It's served me well in the past.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I have the rotopax first ait kit.

Contents

• 15" Zip Ties
  • Bug Repellant
  • Chemical Hand Warmers
  • Emergency Drinking Water
  • Emergency Blanket
  • Flashlight
  • Gloves
  • Light Stick Pen and Paper Pad
  • Pocketknife
  • Poncho
  • Shovel
  • Sunscreen
  • Toilet Paper
  • Tooth Brush with Paste
  • Matches
Whistle First Aid Kit

• (50) 3/4"x3" Adhesive plastic bandages
  • (25) 3/4"x3" Fabric bandages
  • (10) 1"x3" Fabric bandages
  • (4) Knuckle fabric bandages
  • (4) Fingertip fabric bandages
  • (2) 2"x4" Elbow & knee plastic bandages
  • (10) 3/8"x1-1/2" Junior plastic bandages
  • (3) Butterfly wound closures
  • (1) 5"x9" Trauma pad
  • (10) 2"x2" Gauze dressing pads
  • (4) 3"x3" Gauze dressing pads
  • (2) 4"x4" Gauze dressing pads
  • (1) 2" Conforming gauze roll bandage
  • (4) Aspirin tablets
  • (4) Ibuprofen tablets
  • (4) Extra-strength non-aspirin tablets
  • (12) Alcohol cleansing pads
  • (12) Antiseptic cleansing wipes (sting free)
  • (3) Antibiotic ointment packs
  • (3) First aid/burn cream packs
  • (3) Insect sting relief pads
  • (3) Castile soap towelettes
  • (2) 1/2"x5 yd. First aid tape roll
  • (1) 4"x5" Instant cold compress
  • (1) Burn relief pack, 3.5 gm.
  • (1) Sterile eye pad
  • (1) Sunscreen pack
  • (2) Lip ointment pack
  • (4) 2"x2" Moleskin squares
  • (1) 6"x11/16" Finger splint
  • (10) 3" Cotton tipped applicators
  • (2) Medium #2 safety pins
  • (2) Exam quality vinyl gloves
  • (1) 4-1/2" Scissors, nickel plated

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
It totally depends on what you anticipate, and think you may need to prevent. I go to a lot of disaster zones...here's some of the things I carry in mine, for myself and others:

Iodine.
Butterfly bandages.
Duct tape (wrapped around broken pencils and kept in 35mm film cans).
One-way CPR mask.
Israeli field dressings.
Military-grade surgical instrument and suture set w/ various size sutures
and needle combos.
SAM splints.
Latex gloves.
Tampons / Maxi Pads.
Benadryl.
Sunscreen.
Eyewash.
Rehydration salt.
Acetaminophen.
Ibuprofin.
Hydrocortisone cream.
Superglue.

Probably leaving some stuff out. Didn't go out and actually open the pack...watching Stanford / OK State...lazy. :D

The list I provided above should pretty much cover things. Don't overthink, and don't carry too much. A lot of things included in first aid kits is boo-boo stuff, junk. I keep all this in two Mountainsmith bags attached to my rear roll bars. It's served me well in the past.
I should add...some of the items in my kit are worthless unless you know how to use em. Take a CPR class. And many local community colleges offer nursing courses that can help you diagnose and treat field trauma. Technical colleges are especially good for one-time classes at a fairly low price.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My most likely would be from KB's list.

Eyewash
Paracord
Gauze

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
My most likely would be from KB's list.

Eyewash
Paracord
Gauze

Paracord's good, left that out. 550lb test, 100 feet. And water purification tablets. Probably still forgetting some things.

One thing I failed mention in my post...many of these things need to be replaced, used or not, from time to time. A comprehensive first-aid kit needs constant maintenance in order to be effective. Buy a kit, stick it under the back seat and leave it in the Jeep for years in heat and cold...most of it's worthless.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
And if you really wanna get technical:

Other than the first-aid stuff, when I know I'm going into an area where I can't eat at a restaurant :D, I bring these. To wit:

Mess kit
fuel tablets
flashlight (with reversed batteries to keep em charged)
flares
waterproof matches
Gatorade powder packs & beef jerky, nuts, dried fruits, etc.
hunting knife & Leatherman tool (knife includes fishing line and hooks)

Again, probably omitting some things.

All of that stuff's in a third MountainSmith bag (love those things) in my office. I usually don't carry it unless I'm going somewhere I think I might need it. Slack. Hopefully I'll never need it locally...

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
I would have to rip my kit out to get a specifics. But as someone said , its useless without the training. Mines pretty advanced, and so is my training

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
themoneypit said:
maybe the next warn powerplant should have an automatic defibralator built in.
Now THERE'S an idea! I like it. Aed's are expensive.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Training is an excellent bit to have too!
My wife is an RN, and I am the'first responder' in my section at work which requires almost monthly classes in various things.

This thread is a goodie!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Training is an excellent bit to have too!
My wife is an RN, and I am the'first responder' in my section at work which requires almost monthly classes in various things.

This thread is a goodie!
You're right...training is all. I hesitated to even put the lists out there, because...misused...the items involved can be downright dangerous.

The old pericordial thump:punk:
Old school, my friend. Though that's pretty much all you got in the field. Still works, IMO.

·
Banned
7,743 Posts
Paracord's good, left that out. 550lb test, 100 feet. And water purification tablets. Probably still forgetting some things.

One thing I failed mention in my post...many of these things need to be replaced, used or not, from time to time. A comprehensive first-aid kit needs constant maintenance in order to be effective. Buy a kit, stick it under the back seat and leave it in the Jeep for years in heat and cold...most of it's worthless.
Indeed. My camping gear I keep in 3 poly boxes. I have the fast box which is individual, Camp 2 for four people for weeks, Camp 3 for Nuclear War, Zombie invasion..crap I don't really need but just as backup. In any event every four months I go inventory the 2 front line boxes for perishables (MRE's, Mountain House, etc food), along with first aid for prevention against weather, critters..you know the drill. In my vehicles I do keep small first aid kits for small stuff. My girlfriend is an EMT and she has her "Go Bag". Not everyone has this but stick with the basics and it helps to go to your local red cross for training in life saving, more than once so it sticks and you don't make a mistake.

Gotta run, packing for my 2 week winter cross country run, though I have to detour through Vegas to see 2 of my boys that are celebrating one of their birthday's there this weekend. May hit Valley of Fire this weekend driving down there. WooHoo!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts