Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post on here. So im wanting to do my own build. I have a fully stock 2011 Jeep wrangler sahara unlimited. All black. And by stock I mean all stock. Lol. Im wanting to lift it, diff wheels, change fender flares, lights, bumpers, winch, air fliter, exhaust, maybe a chip. I want to raise it on 2.5 to 3. I heard that if you raise it more then 3 you have to change things such as brake lines and stuff. Not wanting to go that far into it. Also tire size all I want to go to is 33 maybe 35. So pretty much what Im looking for is things you all would change. Wouldnt change. How big of a lift? What size tires look the best? Anything is helpful at this point. Thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Welcome to the forum! For 33s, technically you can run zero lift with just a little trimming, but lots of folks do a level, small body or puck lift, or maybe something like Ranchos 2 inch kit. A 2.5 is enough to run 35s.

What gearing do you have, auto or manual? 2011 is still the 3.8 engine, so regearing is something that may most likely be in your future with either size tire.

What do you use the Jeep for - ie you would build a street/fishing hole rig different than a rock crawler rig.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the help. I have a auto. Yes its still got the 3.8. The build is something i want to do that if i want to go off road and play in the mud. I wont have any problem. But still able to take long trips in it.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
:welcome:

My suggestion is always to take it off road/mud before modifications. Your Jeep will let you know if anything needs to be upgraded. They're a great machine even stock!! As MMC said above, with your engine I would be thinking gears before anything.

Anywho, :welcome:!!

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Whats wrong with the gearing thats in it now?
Nothing "wrong" but just that the 3.8 is a slug of an engine with that auto transmission. For an auto to run just at the lower end of the thresshold of what would be considered a good daily driver on 33s you need to be at 4.88 for 35s need to be at 5.13. Contrast that to the 3.6 that can run those tires at 3.73 and 4.10 respectively.

And the problem is compounded that fitting low gearing like 5.13 into a D30, the gears get really small - which makes them weaker.

Jeep really screwed up with that engine in a JK. Part of why things like Hemi engine swaps are really popular in that generation JK.

You will notice a dramatic improvement with 33s and 4.88 from stock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok.... got ya. So i need change the gearing before i go bigger with tires. Whats good gearing? Where could I find it?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
You want to be in the green area here. I would do gears, tires and lift all at the same time. Tho if you are on 32s now and going to 33s, I bet you would be perfectly fine doing gears first.

Do you have any Jeep Offroad shops by you, or a Jeep club that can recommend one ? Gears are not a DIY job for most folks.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... i have no idea. Im new to the whole jeep thing in this area. Ill look some yhings up and see what I can find.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
What gonna be more important. Mud or highways.Makes a big difference on tires. A good Mud tire will make noise on the highway but a good all terrain might not work in the mud so well. Wheels are a big choice too. 17,18, 20 all for 33 or 35 inch tires. 17 most likely best for wheeling and usually the tires are cheaper. 20's look cool for a show jeep but they don't wheel so well and cost a ton. PS buy your tires first then the gears. If you do the gears first then the tires later your motor will be screaming on the road until you do the switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks gunner helped a lot. I want some good mud tires. Im pretty used to wheels making noise on the highway. So thats not a big issuse. What kind of tires would you suggest?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
My 2011 Sahara with 3.25" lift. My signature has the rest of the details...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
If you are not going to run anything bigger than a 35, 4.88s will do great. If you plan to run 37s later, go with 5.13s. I was able to use my cruise control with no issues running 4.88s. Typically didn't run over 70 mph, but that was just by choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts