Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the news that Fiat would move at least part of Chrysler's Jeep production to China to circumvent ruinous Chinese import taxes on foreign made vehicles. Now the revelation that Sergio Marchionne, in a bid to shore up Fiat's bottom line in Europe may move production of Jeep to Italy for IMPORT back into the North American market...

Marchionne Seen Missing Fiat Sales Target by $19 Billion - Businessweek

Looks Like Obama Got To Fiat. Now It Says Jeep Production May Move To Italy.

The Bloomberg article leaves quite a few questions unanswered, such as is it just particular models or is it entire Jeep production?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Moving off shore with an iconic vehicle like the Jeep Wrangler with a traditional design that reaches back to WWII would be a terrible mistake for Chrysler. It would be like moving the production of Harley Davidson bikes to China or Italy. There are some things a manufacturer shouldn't do if they have common sense. If they do move the Jeep offshore it will be interesting to see if USA built ones will have "made in the USA stickers on them and sell for higher prices.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Moving off shore with an iconic vehicle like the Jeep Wrangler with a traditional design that reaches back to WWII would be a terrible mistake for Chrysler.
The problem is that Chrysler doesn't call the shots here. Fiat is the majority shareholder, so it's Fiat's call. If it's cheaper for Fiat to make cars in Italy than in the US (and it probably is) or they want to do it to protect Italian jobs, it's the right business decision for them and Chrysler can't do anything about it. Americans really don't care where the stuff they buy comes from. If Americans did, they wouldn't buy at Walmart, which is the biggest outlet for imported good in the US.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wish Chrysler were all American again. I keep hoping that Fiat will sell Chrysler to an American Corporation. Jeep sales will plummet if they are made in Italy, then imported here. I know I would never buy one.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
vote obama back in...the damage he did in the first 4 years is nothing to what he will do in the next 4..people in the northeast and on the west coast need to wake up..he doesn't have enough business sense to run a hotdog stand..this man has no business experience at all

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
It's like Tata motors aquiring and moving Land Rover and Jaguar from the UK over to India. I diminishes the value, history and loyalty of the brand.
I hope they think twice about moving Jeep Wrangler overseas

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would buy one from Italy but not china. Not saying i would buy a new car nothing over a 2004. The quality was not so great when it was Dimler Chrysler also its my opinion but i am one of those people that was a nice interior and also why i have a tj since it does not need to be pretty. Fiat is doing a great job with the new line and all ready love the cars and trucks that are coming out esp the ram.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Please stop spreading lies.

Jeeps were made in China since 1984. If you believe bloomberg, you've been lied to. If you repeat it, YOU are a LIAR.

If you can't be intelligent enough to realize what Obama actually has done wrong it doesn't excuse making things up because Glenn Beck said to.

And it has long been the goal of Fiat Group to produce (iirc) 6,000,000 cars per year starting 2014. How can that be accomplished without expanding manufacturing into "new" markets (jeeps stopped being made in china in 09)?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Please stop spreading lies.

Jeeps were made in China since 1984. If you believe bloomberg, you've been lied to. If you repeat it, YOU are a LIAR.

If you can't be intelligent enough to realize what Obama actually has done wrong it doesn't excuse making things up because Glenn Beck said to.

And it has long been the goal of Fiat Group to produce (iirc) 6,000,000 cars per year starting 2014. How can that be accomplished without expanding manufacturing into "new" markets (jeeps stopped being made in china in 09)?
what has obama done right ???

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
harleydragon said:
what has obama done right ???
Never said he did, but that depends on your viewpoint.

Romney agreed virtually word for word with his foreign policy at the recent debate.
He gave the largest tax cut to you in US History.
If you have kids in college, he saved them financial money and gave em insurance.
He made sure a kid with cancer can actually get insurance.
He kept a LOT of Americans drawing checks in a bad economy.

Dont agree with any of those?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Never said he did, but that depends on your viewpoint.

Romney agreed virtually word for word with his foreign policy at the recent debate.
He gave the largest tax cut to you in US History.
If you have kids in college, he saved them financial money and gave em insurance.
He made sure a kid with cancer can actually get insurance.
He kept a LOT of Americans drawing checks in a bad economy.

Dont agree with any of those?
well,2 of my kids and one of my son-in-laws are school teachers and as of this coming january their take home pay is going down about 100 bucks a month each because of obamacare,I guess to pay for insurance for the ones that are too sorry to work..yeah,he kept them drawing checks,welfare and foodstamps..this country needs to go back to work

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.