Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not used to having a drain plug on Dana axles. Wish I would have known before ordering a set of Lubelockers.

The strange thing was the stuff that was on the magnet on the drain plug. Never seen it like this in past diffs. It was like a greasy material along with tiny metallic particles. Maybe I didn't notice it in past diffs because they've never had a magnetic plug. The stuff looked like thick anti-seize compound about the size of a small marble on the rear one, and much smaller on the front one. Per manual, it was supposed to take almost 4 qts. but only took 3 qts.

Any one else with similar stuff on the magnetic plug and only 3 qts?

I wonder if I should change the TC and tranny...it only has 2k miles.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It's actually better that you removed the cover and drained/inspected the dif. The goop is most likely excess sealer that's used at the factory. Sometimes they apply too much to seal the covers and it not only seeps out but in also. I use Lubelockers. I might be in the minority but after using them I won't use sealant again. The difs, transfer case and manual trans. never seem to take what's listed as capacity. There's always fluid that doesn't completely drain. As long as you fill to where it starts to weep out from the plugs, and also with a stock dif. cover, you're fine. No two will take exactly the same amount.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
It's actually better that you removed the cover and drained/inspected the dif. The goop is most likely excess sealer that's used at the factory. Sometimes they apply too much to seal the covers and it not only seeps out but in also. I use Lubelockers. I might be in the minority but after using them I won't use sealant again. The difs, transfer case and manual trans. never seem to take what's listed as capacity. There's always fluid that doesn't completely drain. As long as you fill to where it starts to weep out from the plugs, and also with a stock dif. cover, you're fine. No two will take exactly the same amount.
I installed Lubelockers when I installed new diff covers. I plan to drain/replace on occasion and occasionally the cover during the process.

Haven't decided on a schedule yet.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Lubelockers and was planning on installing them, but then found a drain plug, got lazy and didn't want to take the covers off. I've had Lubelockers in the past and will never go back to goop. Didn't think about the stuff being goop because it was greasy and not hardened goop. Maybe it gets mashed up when it goes through the gears and ends up like that. I'm going to remove the covers, inspect, and install the Lubelockers when it's due an oil change.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed Lubelockers when I installed new diff covers. I plan to drain/replace on occasion and occasionally the cover during the process.

Haven't decided on a schedule yet.
On Jeeps I usually change the fluid after going through stuff deep enough to get close to the breather valve or every 15k miles. I think 15k miles is premature considering I used synthetic oil. Not sure what the manual calls for, but it's probably more than 50k miles between intervals.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
On Jeeps I usually change the fluid after going through stuff deep enough to get close to the breather valve or every 15k miles. I think 15k miles is premature considering I used synthetic oil. Not sure what the manual calls for, but it's probably more than 50k miles between intervals.
Good advice. Thanks.

I extended by breather lines a while back to be safe(r).

:thumb:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had the same thing on mine ('10). Found it after I changed fluid when I broke in the new gears. Everything looked alright and haven't had any issues so I thought it was normal. Glad to know I'm not only one.

·
Registered
511 Posts
4 QUARTS?????

4.6 PINTS which is about 2.3 quarts. Thats for a D44 rear.

The D44 front only takes 2.7 pints which is about 1.3 quarts.

The D30 front only takes 2.1 pints or about 1.2 quarts.

If you got 3 quarts in your rear diff, you have WAY to much and I would expect it will blow out the breather and make a huge mess.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4 QUARTS?????

4.6 PINTS which is about 2.3 quarts. Thats for a D44 rear.

The D44 front only takes 2.7 pints which is about 1.3 quarts.

The D30 front only takes 2.1 pints or about 1.2 quarts.

If you got 3 quarts in your rear diff, you have WAY to much and I would expect it will blow out the breather and make a huge mess.
LOL. Bought 4 qts and only used 3 qts on both front and rear.

·
Registered
511 Posts
LOL. Bought 4 qts and only used 3 qts on both front and rear.
Then you are UNDER by a bit in each side. I just did mine last week. I had fluid coming out when I was a bit under on each axle(I think at 2 quarts rear and 1 quart front, both D44's) so I basically forced more fluid in with my pump than the fill hole would have you believe and put the plugs back in while a ton of fluid was flowing out, hoping I got the right amount in. I dont know if my axles werent quite level or what.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then you are UNDER by a bit in each side. I just did mine last week. I had fluid coming out when I was a bit under on each axle(I think at 2 quarts rear and 1 quart front, both D44's) so I basically forced more fluid in with my pump than the fill hole would have you believe and put the plugs back in while a ton of fluid was flowing out, hoping I got the right amount in. I dont know if my axles werent quite level or what.
Not sure how they could be low. I did it in my garage which is totally leveled and I let it drain out until it pretty much stopped. I guess I could recheck them to find out, but just don't see how they could be low.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Not sure how they could be low. I did it in my garage which is totally leveled and I let it drain out until it pretty much stopped. I guess I could recheck them to find out, but just don't see how they could be low.
If you only used 3 quarts total, im guessing you got 2 in the rear and 1 in the front, which isnt enough. Mine were running out the fill holes at the same amount, but its not enough, at least according to the spec I posted above). I had the same issue(im pretty sure my garage is also 100% level). To get the required amount in I had to force it in and while it was running out I put the plugs back in.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
There is always fluid in the axles. When the differential is drained all of the fluid doesn't come out. It's the same for the transfer case and I know a manual trans. It should be drained with the vehicle level. Under no circumstances should fluid be forced into the differential. With the stock set up it should only be filled until it starts to slightly weep out of the fill hole. If you're not sure the best thing to do is to drive it 50-100 miles after it's serviced and then re-check it level. If it still starts to weep out there's no need to add more fluid. Over filling the dif. can cause fluid to push out of the breather or worse, it can push through a seal.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you only used 3 quarts total, im guessing you got 2 in the rear and 1 in the front, which isnt enough. Mine were running out the fill holes at the same amount, but its not enough, at least according to the spec I posted above). I had the same issue(im pretty sure my garage is also 100% level). To get the required amount in I had to force it in and while it was running out I put the plugs back in.
I've done quite a few diff oil changes in my time and I've never forced oil in it and then plug it up. I think the reason it didn't take the amount on the specs is because the entire axle wasn't fully drained. I bet if I would have let it drain overnight and even raised the ends then it would have taken the specified amount.

I'm willing to be that yours is overfilled. In which case, it wouldn't hurt anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts