Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I wanted to wheel joshua tree and anyone who says there isn't fun trails there hasn't gone out with bonbreak98.

It was a blast. To this point I had not done anything tougher then the miller jeep trail and we took on much more then that. Thanks bone break for leading a wonderful adventure.

I'm new to this (only had a jeep for a year) and have so far over many easy trails with the occasional obstacles made it through unscathed.

As I limped home with a destroyed steering box, a broken pit and a bent tie rod, I reflected on how impressed I was at my rigs abilities( for a while I was hanging with the big boys) and also on the idea that if I was a more accomplished driver, perhaps I would have avoided the damage all together.

I found myself wanting to keep up with the bigger rigs in front, I didn't want to slow anyone down asking for a spot or some guidance. Lesson learned. Was so fun, but from now on, if I'm not sure of a line I'm getting out and taking a look. $ doesn't grow on trees and I would hate for $ to stop me from living the dream.

Would love to hear other first dose of reality stories.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
The real enlightenment will come at the register!
It is a must, a lesson to learn, when to say no. Humbling, yes I know but a good lesson none the less.

Here in the South everyone likes the mud. But the mud is just a pool of lapping compound that eats everything on a Jeep. Mud cost big money to play in and makes the Jeeps horrible to drive on the road until you replace all the lapped out joints yearly..

·
Super Moderator
9,112 Posts
^^^ X2!!!

I have been offroading for six years: I have done some serious wheeling, but I still have to break a steering box and bend a tie rod.

I have scraped skid plates, wheels, rock rails. The most expensive thing I ever scraped was a drive shaft: that threw them out of balance and was a $1,000 bill to replace front and rear.

It requires both Jeep and driver to get through an obstacle. Even if the Jeep has the capability but the driver doesn't have the ability, they won't make it through.

NO one cares for your rig as much as you do, so I learned to avoid getting into situations I am not comfortable with --nor paying for.

You can have a lot of fun out there without destroying your Jeep. The more experienced you become, the more you can do without adding more than some trail striping on.

Good luck,

Aldo

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
I bought our first Jeep with no intention of going off road. After the first off road trip we were hooked.
Same thing as you, I wanted to do everything and go everywhere the big boys were, but in my stock sport. So it took a bashing! Don't get me wrong, the sport did awesome and I had a blast.

But the more I wheeled, the more I learned what I wanted. So I suggest the same for you, just get out there and do it. Listen and learn from the guys with experience. AND have fun!! And quit breaking crap :D LOL

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
I wheeled the big kid trails, I wheeled the little kid trails. My only damage has been....one flat stock tire and bent rear axle shafts. And both happened on the same trail - which in complete embarrassment as a rock crawler, is a trail that only has maybe 3 rocks larger than bowling balls, none larger than even stock tires - and essentially could be made by a Prius with just a few inches more clearance. Lesson learned: even on basically dirt roads, crap happens. Or lesson learned: stick to the big kid trails lol.

I am not including the busted rear track bar bracket, as the only reason that broke (also on an easy trail) is the shop just bolted it on and forgot to weld it on. This would not have broken if correctly installed, and the shop fixed it on their dime.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My first dose of reality actually came when I realized what my Jeep CAN do. I don't really like crawling around on rocks but I went to an area in Northeast Oklahoma below a lake dam with a local Jeep club. For an idea of what this place is, Google big meat run or look at this link. It's no joke. Long John's Eighth Annual Big Meat Run

I have a real basic trail/overland set-up. No lockers, stock D30, 35's, 2.5" lift. I was with an experienced crawler with a purpose built buggy. He got me up and over ledges almost as tall as my Jeep and pretty much vertical. Without breaking anything! That was when I learned how much a basic modded Jeep could do. I still haven't gone back and not sure I will, but that was my eye opening experience.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silver lining... Wow.. My 2010 drives like new!!! It's amazing what a new steering box, pit, track and tie rod with clean fresh bushings and a proper 4x4 alignment will do.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Silver lining... Wow.. My 2010 drives like new!!! It's amazing what a new steering box, pit, track and tie rod with clean fresh bushings and a proper 4x4 alignment will do.
What?
No new 4.5" Rubicon lift kit with 35" tires?

See ya on the trails!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts