Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 JK with about 7200 miles on it. It has a problem with not shifting out of first gear. About 4 different times I have been at a complete stop and when accelerating from the stop the transmission will not shift out of first gear. I have been in traffic when this would happen so I would shift into neutral and rev the engine a bit up and let it come back down, shift back into gear and see if it then shifted up into second gear after acceleration. This has worked 3 of the 4 times and the other time I had to come to a stop, shift to park, then shift in gear and proceed. I had to do this twice in a row to get it to work properly. Each time everything went back to normal afterword but I put it in the shop to see what they could do. It was still under warnetee and they had a builiton on it and did a software update, e flash software 2 software flash for TCM 181905ar module, TCM reprogram 5659WPJ TCM updated from 05150891ad to 68271728aa I will post more if this continues to be an issue.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A lot of us (including me) have a habit of driving with the right hand resting on the shifter. If you have auto stick (manual transmissions for dummies) it doesn't take a lot of effort to slide it to the left and pull it into 1st gear. Does the cluster show that you're in first? If it does then you bumped it there. If I remember right on NAG if you hold it to the right long enough it will go back to "D".
It is very easy to do!

·
Registered
496 Posts
My wife was complaining of this happening to her 2014.
I asked her to take me for a ride. Said it did it most when turning left.
Guess where her purse was kept. Yep...it was pushing the stick to the right.

·
Registered
581 Posts
+1

The transmission will go into auto-stick mode if you bump the shifter left OR right.
IMO this is likely the OP's issue.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks guys...I stand corrected. My wife's Patriot has auto stick on the Hyundai transmission. I am not a fan. I need to verify on hers if it will go 1st gear if I push left or right. But even then I dunno what the NAG does.
On the many Chrysler vehicles I used to drive I frequently bumped them in to auto stick but.......like in a Charger if you put it in 1st Auto stick it will still shift to 2nd at redline. And keep going....
So I've heard...not that I ever did that myself.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The Jeep JK autostick will not upshift until you tell it to. You can bump it against the rev limiter in first all day long and it'll stay there. At least that's how my 2013 works.

Mike

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh man that sucks!! It was a lot of fun to do it in the 5.7l Charger. For some strange reason they never gave us an SRT. Can't imagine why.
On my spouse's Patriot it will go to 1st if I bump it left or right but it will only go back to "D" if you hold it to the right.
Of course all that is a matter of software. They could change it on a whim (and they often did/do). But how about it Rick, is that what happened to your's? Don't be shy....... you are definitely not the first to have this occur!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yup, this is how it works on my 2015 Sport.

-Bump to the left shifts down one gear, and the transmission is in auto-stick mode.
-Bump to the right and the trans stays in the current gear, and is in auto-stick mode.
-The transmission will automatically downshift (ie when coming to a stop)while in auto-stick mode, but it will not upshift.
-The trans can be upshifted, by tapping right, and downshifted, by tapping left in most cases. IIRC the programming will prevent an upshift that causes an engine bogging situation. But I have not experienced that yet.
-The transmission can be put back into standard automatic mode by pushing and holding the stick to the right for 2 seconds, or by tapping to the right when in 5th gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just started having same, or similar, issue as OP. 2008 JK wrangler shara unlimited. Original owner with 108,000 miles on it. And no the shifter is not getting bumped by a purse or anything hence just starting after that many miles.

It ended up tossing out code 0732 gear ratio 2.
It will rev on take off but not go, occasionally had happen at light and stop sign; also occurs at times in turns.

I had tires replaced around 2000 miles ago and the tire sensors I had taken out instead of replaced due to corrosion and annoyance of high cost of replacing single one, so they all have normal valve stems in now. Not saying it is cause, simply that it is something I had done recently to add info in case it could relate.

After issue started occuring, my radiator blew, but not from transmission cooler/lines. My fluid is still red and not very dirty, nor is it low.

My next thought was speed sensor from a mechanic suggested attempt, but from research I am not sure that it will do anything either.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2008 Manual JKU. Around Christmas the Jeep would randomly not got into gear about 10% of the time. Worked fine the other 90% of the time. Other symptoms were a squeaky clutch pedal. Also if you find yourself in this situation try turning the jeep off and see if it will then go into gear (mine did). Did some research on the forums and discovered it was most likely the clutch slave cylinder. The clutch slave was about $200 (canadian) for the mopar part. I was able to put the new clutch slave on over this past weekend and it seems to have fixed the issue. (Hardest part was the bleeding because trying to get your hands onto the bleeder valve is a challenge in that tight space). It also feels way smoother shifting from gear to gear now. I will need to give a follow up to this post after more time passes but if you have this issue i recommend start with your clutch slave cylinder. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts