Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! Just purchased an 07 wrangler unlimited 6 speed last week. Unfortunately, it has an issue with popping out of first gear, all other gears are fine. I did some research and it seems to be a common issue.

So far my options seem to be:

1. Get the transmission fixed - replace bearings, seals, 1&2nd gear synchros, maybe a gear.

2. Get a new/used nsg370 and swap out the current one.

3. Swap in NV3550 or AX15?

Hoping to get some input as to how much it'll take to fix the tranny and if it's worth doing so or should I be looking into swaps. There's been numerous threads that say the nsg370 isn't very reliable.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
41,912 Posts
First, I'd like to say; Welcome to Wrangler Forum.

This is a known issue by Chrysler (I had it happen on my '07 JKU too). There is a service bulletin on it: 21-001-10 Rev. A. I recommend taking it to the dealer and getting it fixed.

Here's a huge thread on the subject you may want to check out, lots of good info: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/6-speed-popping-out-of-1st-gear-35605.html

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
X2 with Beastmaster. Chances are the inner shift boot is the problem and it most likely only has to be either adjusted or replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks guys. The TSB number came up in my research a couple of times but I could not for the life of me get the list of parts that Beastmaster provided. I'll hit up a dealer and get this done. Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be a stupid question, would I need 68080512AA or 68080512AB? Apparently, my coworker's dad is a jeep tech and may be able to do this for me as a side job. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Might be a stupid question, would I need 68080512AA or 68080512AB? Apparently, my coworker's dad is a jeep tech and may be able to do this for me as a side job. Thanks!
The AB kit is the updated version. The AB kit has the new synchro assembly and a new first gear. The TSB calls for first ruling out the inner shift boot. Most JK JOG issues like yours is a result of the inner shift boot that either needs to be re-aligned or replaced. Taking care of that will most likely solve the problem. If by some chance that doesn't take care of it then you could move on to 68080512AB (kit). I know the TSB indicates 1st, 3rd and 5th for the customer complaint regarding the shift boot. However, most JOG complaints regarding 1st gear only were taken care of by either re-aligning or replacing the inner shift boot. With any JOG complaint the dealer first rules out the shift boot before moving into the trans. Like I mentioned if that doesn't work, which is possible, then move on to the kit. As a Tech. I think he'll want to rule out the inner shift boot as a possible cause.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I took my 07 to the dealer and showed them the TB. They told me it would cost $1800 and then recommended going for the replacement of all the synchros for $2200 or a completely rebuilt tyranny for $3500.

All options seem ridiculously expensive. I'm not even sure they ruled out the boot.

Curious on what others have experienced with out of warranty JKs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Inner shift boot

I'm going to remove the outer shift boot and leave it off for a week or so to see if it still pops out of first.

Should I also remove the inner shift boot?

Are there any tell signs that the inner shift boot needs to be replaced or is not aligned right?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm going to remove the outer shift boot and leave it off for a week or so to see if it still pops out of first.

Should I also remove the inner shift boot?

Are there any tell signs that the inner shift boot needs to be replaced or is not aligned right?
Remove the inner shift boot, not the outer

·
Registered
118 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks. Dumb question but should I then put the outer boot back on (not even sure that's possible without the inner bout) or leave both off while I drive it around?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I would leave them both off once you remove them. If you do and there's no longer a JOG then it's most likely the inner boot. If it continues then the trans. has to be looked at.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree with the advice above to remove the shift boots and see what happens. If that's what's going on it's a much cheaper and easier situation.

Be prepared to be surprised at how loud the transmission is without the shift boots in place. You will probably think that the transmission is suddenly full of angry killer bees that cross bred with steel eating termites. This is normal. There is no need to panic. That's why there are shift boots to cut down on the racket.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Mine pops out occasionally. Dealer messed up my boot. I purchased a new boot kit that included inner, outer, and a new shift knob because you will ruin the old one getting it off. I had the old boots off for an extended period of time until I recently had to pull the dash completely out to do a heater core replacement and while the center console was out, when it went back together, the new boots went in. The occasional forceful slipping out of first gear hadn't changed at all. During my last PM, I had the transmission oil changed and THAT seems to have made a difference. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on this: Luckily, I had partial warranty that covered the transmission from the dealer I bought the JK from. I had to pay out of pocket around 700 bucks for the tranny to be fully rebuilt by a transmission shop. It's running great now and like the others have mentioned above having the inner and outer boots off does increase the noise a lot. Afterwards when I fit them back on things were nice a quiet and smooth. Good luck!

·
Administrator
41,912 Posts
Update on this: Luckily, I had partial warranty that covered the transmission from the dealer I bought the JK from. I had to pay out of pocket around 700 bucks for the tranny to be fully rebuilt by a transmission shop. It's running great now and like the others have mentioned above having the inner and outer boots off does increase the noise a lot. Afterwards when I fit them back on things were nice a quiet and smooth. Good luck!
Wow, that's quite a but that had to get fixed, glad you got things done :thumb:

·
Registered
118 Posts
A few folks mentioned that removing the boots basically damaged them and they needed to purchase replacements. Curious if anyone has removed both boots without damage and the put them back on. If so, any tips?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts