Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a clean 1987 wrangler with 40" tires and a 396 in it with a turbo 400 tranny and a np231 tc.... but the axles appear to be stock (traded it for a 2002 gsxr 1000) what is my cheapest way to make this beast both trail and road worthy.. could i beef up the dana 30 front and 35 rear or would a axle swap be my best bet and what would be the axle type recomendations...

·
Registered
45 Posts
axle swap!!!!

If you run those tires with the stock axles you will be braking u-joints like crazy especially the 35.

You can either go 44/60 combo or 1 tons. That will be your best bet.

·
Vendor
5,527 Posts
Kmetz: That looks like a lot of fun! It's not the kind of vehicle you can drive quietly and pick your nose unnoticed, though is it?

I agree with Laxnyj18 - you can't expect much trouble free wheelin' with stock axles. With that engine and tranny you can really stomp on it, but with weak "ankles" you won't get too far.

This one belongs to a co-worker. It's got Dana 60's front and rear with custom axles from SolidAxle. Solid Axle Industries . It also has hydro-boost steering, which helps with those itty-bitty tires.

It also looks like you could modify those fender flares a bit - something seems a little off center.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Man Nice Jeep
Stay off the gas just like you did on that GSXR- lol

Bud I had a cj-5 with a 302 that would almost do wheelies
bet that has some horses

Axle swap 44s
What gearing do you want?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i still the with d44s front and rear he is still going to be snaping axles.

Go with one tons. Its almost like a measure twice cut once thing.

·
Registered
369 Posts
cool jeep you could go with full width axles however if you want to stick with stock width i would put a a somewhat billt 8.8 in the rear and a wagoneer 44 in the front i think that would hold up fine in the mud/street im not shore about the rocks. by the way are those tires grand prees or wild country mudder

·
Registered
124 Posts
OK seriously that is one SWEET rig you got there... and I have no idea how you still have the axles on there and NOT destroyed with that power and such pewney Stock axles! do a swap asap

·
Registered
58 Posts
you know you can get 40's with almost no lift

Genwright has the highmount tube fenders front and rear so you get the clearance without all the lift problems keeping your low center of gravity

·
Registered
28 Posts
sweeeeeeeeet i would like to take to in my lake:punk:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info and props... I knew it was a project when i traded for it but could not let it go by with the potential it had. in my eyes i figured it was 2/3 complete.. I figured an axle swap was in order. will the np 231j tc still be viable with the one ton axles? what kind of vehicle would have the axles i would need so i can start my search of the bone yards? look at me not even a week into my first jeep and i'm talking axle swap.. God i love it (i think)!! Anyone who feels like giving more advice or recomendations feel free to post them for me.. i need the help and i will get some more pics up to show you what i'm dealing with underneath...

·
after birthday glow
1,963 Posts
awsome ride dont worry by week two u will be planing the next one ok so it depends what axel u want the 8.8 is under the explorer um dana 44 under most full sized Chevy's and the wagoneer and Dana 60's and bigger i think would be under anything 3/4 ton and up any one want to help out some more i dont know crap what went under the older fords

·
Vendor
5,527 Posts
One of the magazines had a nice article on junkyard axles a month or two ago. But I can't remember which.

You can have problems with the TC matching - some of the axles will have the pumpkin on the wrong side, or just load from a different place, etc. I would guess that's one of the reasons a Full Size Jeep is a popular option.

But it's all too complicated for me. There are a bunch of guys around here that have built this already.

And it's summer time! Go drive!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Man ! Love the yellow! I am doing 60's front and rear with ram assist on the front. You can build hybrid 44's and would get you the same result if you had the 44 housings laying around. Mine has stock dana 44's and its broke right now. Those meats will hook something and break an axle or ring gear if you are not careful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
with the 40" tires and 396 i would think after doing some research 60's would be in order..better safe than sorry. anyone have any links or info on this swap to a yj..?

·
Registered
369 Posts
what state u live in if you can get away with it just throw full with axles under it. you know any more about the engine other then its a 396

1 - 20 of 36 Posts