Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so i've recently sold my 04 F150 because I've got the wrangler itch and I've got some questions and looking for some advise on some things.

So I've been poking around some of the dealerships around town and one of the wranglers I've seen is an 08 Rubicon with 90k miles and a price tag of 20k
Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler For Sale | Lewisville TX

Went and looked at it today, and the price seems a little high, was wondering on what your opinions would be on price? I understand without seeing it, its hard to tell. But some of the damage I saw on it was:
- Tail light had a hole busted in it
- Normal dents and scratched.
- A dent the size of a golf ball where the paint chipped and body started to rust.

- Other chips in paint, some starting to rust also.
- Caps on the top of the seatbelt covers missing, and the cover for the rear windshield wiper at the joint was missing.

- Tint on the cover was peeling and bubbling in about 15 spots.
- Sticker was removed on the back and looks like it peeled some paint or clear coat off.
- The hinges for the hood are starting to have the paint peel.
- The hardtop has a lot of 6" long scratches in every corner. I'm sure from removing the top.

Other than those the jeep runs great and no mechanical thing I can see. It has been sitting on the lot for about 35 days also, and the kbb and NADA I looked up seem to be a fe thousand under what they are asking. I have no problem buying the jeep with those issues, as long as its the right price.

Then this jeep. 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 2dr X STEEL BUMPER/ LED LIGHT/ WINCH/ FINANCING - Dallas Preowned Auto Group, Inc, Carrollton Texas auto dealer offers used cars. Great prices, quality service, financing, second chance financing, special financing, bad credit,

This one seems to be overpriced as well. Went to look at it too and the body is in better shape. But they told me they put all the aftermarket stuff on when they get the jeep and looks like they are trying to get a full return on everything they put on. What do you think this one would go for? I think I looked up the KBB for this and it was around 17k.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated and I hope to become part of the Wrangler community some day soon!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Jeeps have some of the highest resale valises for any vehicle. For few k more you can get in a new sport. 2012's have a newer more,powerful engine.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Keep in mind, 07-08s are known for burning oil. Make sure you're ready for that commitment.

If I were you, I'd look at buying new. It shouldn't cost you more than a couple of thousand more for a new vs used. You'll get a warranty, no worry about what the previous owner may have done to it and a better interest rate for new vs used.

Good luck deciding! :)

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Consider what I'm doing, leasing for 3 years then buying it at a reduced rate. Your credit's probably better than mine so you should get a decent payment.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Both those IMHO are wayWayWAY more than ~I~ personally would pay for them.

"Let's pretend" a decent full-life service expectation on a Wrangler is "200,000 miles" before real major repairs that aren't self-inflicted.

The asking price on both of these "50% worn out" rigs is 75-90% of what comparable new rigs would cost.....roughly speaking.

My premise is not that 'more miles is bad' so much as 'fewer miles is better' when buying used....based on personal preponderance of experience in trying to save a $ in all the wrong places.

If you look around at the local market & become more familiar with what really to expect you'll find better deals IMHO.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Both of those are WAY too much.

The used car market is out of whack now anyway and you're just not getting the discount you used to get, especially on vehicles that hold their value like the Wrangler does. Like others have said, I'd consider new. You can get a very well equipped Brand New Sport S for just more.

Also, they've made a LOT of improvements to he Wrangler over the past few years. IIRC they completely redid the interior in 2010 and the engine in 2012. The new engine is a HUGE improvement.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Those are both expensive for higher mileage 08's. Keeping in mind that Jeeps are unreasonably high in Texas, those both seem high. I just bought an 11 2 dr Sahara, 29k, dual top, 3.73 automatic with leather and nav for 27k. Which I personally felt was too much, but the Jeep was perfect inside and out. It does seem like 2 dr soft tops are kinda hard too find though. Seems like everything from the factory is a 4 door hard top. Anyway I would keep looking, and try to find something that is close to stock. Avoid somebody else's half a$$ mods that you pay for and end up replacing. Or buy a new one for close to the same.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Heh, I'm in the same area. I saw one that had it's left fender mashed up and they still wanted 19k for it (2009 IIRC). The prices in north Texas are so ridiculous it isn't even funny.

I spent a month looking and said to heck with it and just ordered a new one, that way I know that it hasn't been rode hard and put away wet.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
for a point of reference, my first serious, multiple-test-drive, Wrangler this spring was a 2006 Rubicon with 80,000 miles and a 2" lift with 33s and cheap wheels. Top had a small hole, the shifter boot was missing completely, the new 33" spare didn't fit properly on the OEM hanger, so you had to lift up very hard on the tailgate to get it to open or close. He wanted 16,900, came down to 16,000 and then quit negotiating. I felt like that Jeep was a whole-lotta-used-up for $16,000. A new top, rear bumper and tire carrier and shift boot (and that's assuming nothing else was wrong, which is wishful thinking) and I'd be sniffing at 20k for an 8YO 80k Jeep. This was a private sale.

The next one I looked at was a '12 Sport S with no mods and no damage I was aware of. 35,000 miles. Bright yellow that I didn't care for and, like it or not, makes a truck harder to sell. Dealer was asking 24,000, said he couldn't take less than $22,500 after some haggling. I didn't even want the jeep because of the color (I was just driving it because I couldn't find a 12+ Pentastar 6 speed to drive anywhere, new or used.)

So I wound up ordering after negotiating with 7 dealers in metro-area. Got 4k off, so the brand-dam-new, built with my name on the window sticker, Willys Wrangler equipped exactly as I wanted it cost $24,480. (add tax and tag to that, but that's the same whether I buy new or used.)

I don't see why anyone buys late-model used Jeeps, at least around Atlanta. Standard asking prices are so far from making sense that I guess you'd just have to stumble on some seller who didn't get the memo...

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
it took a whole year of research to find what I wanted at a reasonable price

besides the 'whole lotta used up' concept, the more you know the local market the better you will come to recognize what is and what isn't a 'good deal'.....just like mods & what you think you want to install on your own Jeep.

At that price level new IS a better choice IMHO.

One rule on used Jeeps, is no matter how good the deal looks, there's a better one going to show up 5 minutes after you sign the papers on the last 'best good deal'.

Buying what ~I~ want is one trick I've finally learned; the other BIG trick is to avoid buying the problems some one else finally dumped on the used market.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I'm in Denton, TX and I am about to buy a Jeep. I don't like this thread.
Be willing to drive to get your best price! My best quote came from a dealership in Houston, which is about two hours away. Once I had that, I took it to my local dealer and he was willing to beat their price by $100. If they hadn't though, I was totally willing to drive that two hours to get the best price.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It honestly depends, some are well taken care off. I know when I sell my Jeep someone is going to get a hell of a deal on all of the aftermarket parts I put on it. Used Jeeps are definitely worth looking for because some may come with parts you will spend 10k on after your purchase.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
... some may come with parts you will immediately remove that are very similar to the parts you will then spend 10k on after your purchase.
There, fixed it for ya.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Thats why I said it depends. Sometimes you may just find a Jeep that fits your liking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hadn't really thought about buying new but that looks like something to check into. It is pretty incredible with the price hike in the DFW area as opposed to others that I've seen so I guess that's why they are getting these prices.

Got an email today from the dealership with the red wrangler and they are set on the price because of the 6k in aftermarket parts they added. Since they add all the aftermarket stuff to the jeeps when they get them I told them they can take it all off and back to stock and lower the price 6k and we would have a deal. Didn't like that though..

·
Registered
833 Posts
Heck, for 2 grand more, you could buy a brand new base model JK. You could take it from there, and mod it however you like over several years. When you buy something used like the 08, you're most likely getting someone else's problems. IMHO, bite the bullet, go new, make it "yours" and enjoy it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I went through the same headache as you and I've decided to buy new. The used market for Jeeps is just too high to justify. Might as well get it new and exactly the way you want it and with a warranty. Checkout the inventory tool on Jeep.com to get a list of all the jeeps with exact/similar builds to what you want.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts