Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 jku polar edition with 80000 miles. Not a daily driver anymore, so want to build it right. Want to make it into a camping style jeep. Tent up top and convert rear seats and trunk into something. But would like to do suspension and tires first. It has a basic lift and tires that a dealer or previous owner threw on. I'm thinking 38's and full lockers? I have a good place that can install everything. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm thinking I'd avoid that tire choice unless you plan on beefing up your axles. You're limited in what you can do with the current front axle (don't perceive this as a negative thing though). Take it offroading to where you'd like to go, and then evaluate what would help you traverse the terrain in a more proficient manner.

Reactions: Hedgehog2JKU

·
Super Moderator
15,959 Posts
I have a 2014 jku polar edition with 80000 miles. Not a daily driver anymore, so want to build it right. Want to make it into a camping style jeep. Tent up top and convert rear seats and trunk into something. But would like to do suspension and tires first. It has a basic lift and tires that a dealer or previous owner threw on. I'm thinking 38's and full lockers? I have a good place that can install everything. What do you guys think?
If this is your first build I recommend taking your time and study (a lot). Then put all the numbers down and make a plan. Maybe find a local Jeep club and talk to the guys that run 38"/40" tires to get a feeling of the commitment and $$ required to do it right. I think you'll find a good build running a 35" tire will do what you need and save you a lot of money.

To run 38s & lockers, at a minimum you'll need:
  • New front axle, order it with gears & locker
  • Regear the rear and add a locker
  • Rear axle shafts
  • Big brakes front/rear
  • Lift
  • Wheels
  • Tires
  • Steering, tie rod & drag link (hydro steer is a major +)
  • Go ahead and upgrade the ball joints if you haven't already
Rough budget for that is 20k-25k. You'll also need some skids, winch, recovery stuff, etc.

Personally I'm not a fan of the tent on top. The trails we do are tight and the RTT guys are constantly having issues with downed limbs etc blocking their way, where the lower Jeeps have no issue. Your type of wheeling may be different though. Our preference is to have a small trailer to hold the RTT.

Now our 4 door we removed the rear seat and built a sleeping deck that is also great for the dog. Depending on the amount of gear you might be able to forego the RTT and sleep in the Jeep.

Good luck and have fun!! Read up on the Jeep builds in the build section too :thumb:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Are you camping in open country or on Rubicon Trail type. Big difference between fire roads and BDR trails and boulders. Type of 4x4 use will decide build type.

·
Super Moderator
8,195 Posts
Not on a D30 axle. Why 38s - where will you be camping?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts