Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 26 and just bought a 2011 jku. Always wanted a jeep and finally had the money to do it. I am using it as a daily driver but live near the delaware water gap so would like to do some mods so I can take a few trails and mud this fall.

I've been reading a lot on these forums and have a few questions. Would a small 3/4" lift with 33" tires work on a jku sport? If so any suggestions and do I need new wheels for 33's?

In hearing upgraded skid plates should be on the list. What's on the car now? What plates should you get?

If you have other suggestions for anything I have not thought of please offer any advice.

-- wave --

·
Protector of F5 Keys...
2,311 Posts
I'm 26 and just bought a 2011 jku. Always wanted a jeep and finally had the money to do it. I am using it as a daily driver but live near the delaware water gap so would like to do some mods so I can take a few trails and mud this fall.

I've been reading a lot on these forums and have a few questions. Would a small 3/4" lift with 33" tires work on a jku sport? If so any suggestions and do I need new wheels for 33's?

In hearing upgraded skid plates should be on the list. What's on the car now? What plates should you get?

If you have other suggestions for anything I have not thought of please offer any advice.

-- wave --
Congrats. You can run 33s stock, no lift needed. No new wheels needed. But you would likely want spacers if you keep the stock wheels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What skid plates should I get to put on a stock jku sport? Just small trails and mud. I just want to know I'm protected

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,401 Posts
For skids, the JKU comes pretty well protected for very mild off road use. The first thing you would want to look at is the Evap skid.

Let us know if you have any further questions or if there is anything we can do to help...

-Jason

·
Registered
87 Posts
i was under my 08 rubicon after i bought it last week and noticed there is no protection for the oil pan area. thats gonna be one of the first things i buy for underneath. you have an 11, they may have skids there now, dunno.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So make sure factory skids cover all the vitals, spacers, and 33" tires should get me going and not affect the 90 mile a day commute?

Thanks for the advice!

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know. It's hard when I see some sick jeeps on the road. Never know what is necessary ad what's overkill

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have another dumb question. If I'm putting the hardtop back on for the winter would you all reccomend removing the softop totally or would you say it's okay to leave the softop on, rolled back, and just put the hardtop on over the top?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Gryde717 said:
I have another dumb question. If I'm putting the hardtop back on for the winter would you all reccomend removing the softop totally or would you say it's okay to leave the softop on, rolled back, and just put the hardtop on over the top?
Nope. Take it out or risk damage :)

Very easy swap, not worth being lazy :thumb:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Decades ago we ran around the very rugged outback of SW Idaho desert/mountains without ever having heard of a 'skid plate' etc.

Granted we had pretty much learned not to park the oil pan on hard or sharp places. And them skinny 6.50x16" military UTBs were surprisingly adequate to pull us thru nearly anything we encountered.

Unless we're going into really extreme places, IMHO about 90% of the mods we see everywhere have more to do with fashion than with function.

Getting a stock JKU up & down the pavement 90 miles a day then throwing in a 'little light off-roading' seems pretty doable without big mods. Although a skid plate under the soft parts is cheap insurance.

Every Jeeper has their own notion of what is/isn't needed. And experience tells us whether that was right or not.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Decades ago we ran around the very rugged outback of SW Idaho desert/mountains without ever having heard of a 'skid plate' etc.

Granted we had pretty much learned not to park the oil pan on hard or sharp places. And them skinny 6.50x16" military UTBs were surprisingly adequate to pull us thru nearly anything we encountered.

Unless we're going into really extreme places, IMHO about 90% of the mods we see everywhere have more to do with fashion than with function.

Getting a stock JKU up & down the pavement 90 miles a day then throwing in a 'little light off-roading' seems pretty doable without big mods. Although a skid plate under the soft parts is cheap insurance.

Every Jeeper has their own notion of what is/isn't needed. And experience tells us whether that was right or not.
I just want to say after the run I did this weekend, I have a much better idea of what a stock jeep can do. I will say I think the biggest immediate upgrade should be some rock rails/rock sliders and if you are running alone or with people without a winch, get a winch. The stock sra's are crazy badass if you use them right. I was crawling circles around a guy with some big 'ol 32 rubicon wheels, simply because he didn't air down and didnt always pick the best line. I took it stock through a rock garden and while I survived, I know I'd like some dif armor and oil pan armor after the run. And the run itself would have been impossible without winches, snatch blocks and recovery straps/tree savers.

But seriously, a stock jku, even a sport, can definently handle a shit ton. as soon as you add mud/water into the mix though, things change quick. if you do just basic trails with puddles and mild mud, you probably dont need much. if you want to climb a rock garden converted into a stream? yeah, you better have some recovery gear, and some armor will make you need to change your underpants less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts