Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've got my eye on buying my first jeep and currently searching for a used 2012 Rubicon, automatic, & hard top. What do you guys think I should pay for this model of jeep, assuming average mileage of 10-15k miles/year?

Also, what's the best way to find this dream jeep of mine? I've been looking online at craigslist and autotrader and not much has turned up. It would seem that the Rubicons are so awesome nobody is selling them!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
2012s CAN have an issue with the heads going bad, so just keep that in mind...

Since wranglers hold their value SO well, you may not find a 2012 more than a thousand or two cheaper than a brand new one.

Figure out what your budget is, then see how much more it would be to just get a brand new jeep. You'd have the benefit of the whole warranty AND wouldn't have to worry about what a PO may have done to it.

You'll get plenty of comments here pretty quickly. :popcorn:

·
Registered
168 Posts
2012s CAN have an issue with the heads going bad, so just keep that in mind...

Since wranglers hold their value SO well, you may not find a 2012 more than a thousand or two cheaper than a brand new one.

Figure out what your budget is, then see how much more it would be to just get a brand new jeep. You'd have the benefit of the whole warranty AND wouldn't have to worry about what a PO may have done to it.

You'll get plenty of comments here pretty quickly. :popcorn:
Well said!:happyyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. How bad is the 2012 head problem? I've heard that from a friend who is a jeep owner.

KBB prices a 2012 Rubicon auto w/ hard top @ 30,000 miles on the odometer at $28,500. I checked Carmax and found one in that range at $28,900, and second one for $31k which I thought was over priced since it was about the same but did not have a nav package or anything else to warrant the extra cost.

New rubicons by me seem to be going for about $36,000 MSRP plus or minus $4,000 depending on how they are equipped. How much under MSRP is a good deal? Looking at the optional equipment, it seems like Jeep charges a heck of a lot for the options, eg. $2,000 for a nav package.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Two percent under invoice is fairly common for people here on the forum. When we bought Mike's 2013 in Florida, we got about 2.5%. We moved to Texas in September, right before I placed my order and here I was able to get 5% +$100 of my custom ordered 2014. A lot depends on where you live. I'm not sure if you're in Orange County, Florida or Orange County, California, but if you tell us which one, you might have someone recommend a good dealer to you.

I'll start: if you're in Orange County, Florida check out Fields CDJ in Sanford. They will give you 2% below invoice with zero haggling. You would either need a Chrysler Affiliates number or join TreadLightly and receive a Chrysler Affiliates number from them.

Here are some posts on buying new:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/planning-to-buy-a-jeep-in-he-next-couple-months-630866.html#post9669194

Keep in mind, the last day to order a 2014 was today. :facepalm:

2015s should open up at the beginning of June, but I don't know an exact date yet.

Good luck deciding! :thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in OC, California. I didn't know you could get a dealer to give you below MSRP on custom ordered jeeps--the one I talked to today balked at the thought of it!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I'm paying $3800 below mrsp for my custom ordered jeep.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Two percent under invoice is fairly common for people here on the forum. When we bought Mike's 2013 in Florida, we got about 2.5%. We moved to Texas in September, right before I placed my order and here I was able to get 5% +$100 of my custom ordered 2014. A lot depends on where you live. I'm not sure if you're in Orange County, Florida or Orange County, California, but if you tell us which one, you might have someone recommend a good dealer to you. I'll start: if you're in Orange County, Florida check out Fields CDJ in Sanford. They will give you 2% below invoice with zero haggling. You would either need a Chrysler Affiliates number or join TreadLightly and receive a Chrysler Affiliates number from them. Here are some posts on buying new: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/planning-to-buy-a-jeep-in-he-next-couple-months-630866.html#post9669194 Keep in mind, the last day to order a 2014 was today. :facepalm: 2015s should open up at the beginning of June, but I don't know an exact date yet. Good luck deciding! :thumb:
Hey which dealer in Texas was willing to give you the 5% back on invoice? Currently looking to get into a new Rubi. I am going to wait until the car show next weekend to see what's new on the 2015, but would be nice to start a relationship with a dealer before I'm ready to buy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey which dealer in Texas was willing to give you the 5% back on invoice? Currently looking to get into a new Rubi. I am going to wait until the car show next weekend to see what's new on the 2015, but would be nice to start a relationship with a dealer before I'm ready to buy
If in the Houston area , check out Ron Carter. Just bought my new JK there for 5% under invoice. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Always depends on what the market will bear.

I paid 28K for a 2012 Rubcion with 6K on the odo miles a few months ago.
Included leather, hardtop, power group, tow package and infinity sound.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Always depends on what the market will bear.

I paid 28K for a 2012 Rubcion with 6K on the odo miles a few months ago.
Included leather, hardtop, power group, tow package and infinity sound.
Nice deal, did you get it from a dealer or private party? Automatic?

·
Registered
473 Posts
After owning 2X 2012 Rubicons I will say buy a different year... I had nothing but problems with both of them. Engine and driveline. I have a 2013 now and they seem to have worked through some of the issues seems like still the common ones that i have had with all the other JK's I have owned. Good luck on your search!

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
Go to Jeep SUVs & Crossovers | Official Jeep Site | Jeep. Search your area for inventory. Then go visit the dealers and see which ones will work with you. Some will, some will not. Do not let them have your phone or email as they WILL hassle you big time. Now, armed with a nice long list of dealers from the Jeep site you can work them instead of them working you. My "learnin" from this forum is that you want to get into the tread lightly program and then work the dealers hard. I worked the dealers but I did not know about tread lightly or 2-4% below invoice so I left some money on the table.

·
Registered
319 Posts
the one I talked to today balked at the thought of it!
I had a few dealerships do the same thing when I was shopping if they wouldn't show me the factory invoice price and MSRP I walked out. It's not a big deal to show customers this information. I found the best way to get them to show me was to say, "Hey, you want to make a quick sale that's fair for the both of us?" Ordering vehicles is good for a dealership they save money not having the vehicle sit on the lot and their sales numbers increase which gets them better pricing after their review.

I'd say at least 1% under factory invoice price is a good deal but in the end its all about what you are comfortable paying. Make a deal you are happy with and it won't really matter how much you actually paid because you will be happy!

Also, if you're having trouble getting the price down ask for free add-ons like free oil changes, slush mats, grabars, locking hood latches etc.

Oh and x2 on what Starbrite said check the difference in price between a 2012 and brand new I think you will be surprised at how well Wranglers hold their value.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts