Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at possibly getting my first jeep. 1991 Wrangler with soft top. Fairly good condition, V6, 110,000 + miles. Only thing that isn't working is the gas gauge.

I'm looking at a jeep to do some light towing. I have a boat around 2,000 total weight (not over 2,000). I also have some light farm trailers to tow on occasion.

I would be towing a decent amount throughout the year, boat would be towed a few times a month. No hills, some gravel, no busy highways, mostly back roads.

I know jeeps aren't good tow vehicles. However, my budget is around $3,000. I know the owner of the YJ, and know he has taken good care of it. He doesn't off-road. I think I could get it around $2,200-$2,500.

Should I forget about owning a jeep and instead move to a truck?
How well would this jeep hold it's value?
Is it adequate for the uses I need it for?
Would this be OKAY for pulling boat up ramps out of the water? 1st gear, 4-low, let it crawl out?

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can tow a boat with a jeep, I wouldn't buy the jeep strictly for towing capacity. Jeeps are great, I wouldn't own anything else, but If I was looking for something strictly for towing, a Jeep would not be what I bought. I think the frame is rated for 2500 lbs, don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've pulled a small boat (about 1800lbs in total) for years w/ no problem....including 500 mile interstate trips. It's not the best tow vehicle, but it works (slowly) as needed. Stopping can get dicey in a heartbeat tho. I rarely go above 55 w/ the boat. Never had a problem on any ramp.

A Jeep is not a good substitute for a truck, if that's what you really need....small cargo space, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much for the replies. Not looking the substitute, but I would need the Jeep to be able to do light hauling.

The Jeep appeals to me as I feel it comes from a reliable seller, and I also believe the Jeep would have the ability to last many more years.

When I start looking into trucks, I really have doubts on the longevity of a 15 year old truck.

In an ideal world, I would get a truck. Given my monetary restraints, I do hope to be able to get enough positive feedback that the Jeep would be a viable alternative to a truck.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Jeeps hold value well. You can realistically look to sell a 15 year old jeep for 4000$. They're great fun too.. I use mine as a toy and daily driver. Not great on gas, but that is to be expected. What do you mean by light hauling? Because the space you have to haul anything is very limited. With the back seat removed you still do not have much space.. If you want my vote. I say get the jeep..

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
My partner has 90 with I6 and hauls a 4K lb boat all over no issues. Go for it its the most fun driving you will ever have.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've personally never towed with one, but if you need a vote, I say do it! Just a little warning.... You might fall in love with it and not want to drive anything else!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Oh ya it will pull it! We pull a bass boat about that size with ares. Pulls it fine but you can feel it up a hill tho. Shouldn't have a problem. Id go for it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts