Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying my first jeep and its going to be a 4dr 4wd automatic. I'd like to start with a lift kit between 3-6 inches, and a 33-35 tire, and of course gears. My questions are what lift kit company is gonna have the best "package" because this will also be a daily driver for me. I've heard great comments on and rock krawler. What gear ratio should I go to for the 33" and which one for the 35"? I would also like tone able to do the mirror relocation brackets, a front bumper, rear bumper, rocksliders, winch and a few fog lights. I want to stay under 7000 dollars for now, the bumpers and what not can come later if necessary. Thanks for the input and sorry for the typos if there is any, damn phone lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
I personally like fabtech , I have their 8" long arm crawler kit. Over 100k miles on it and still going strong. I have 488 gears and I'm running 35's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boobicon said:
I personally like fabtech , I have their 8" long arm crawler kit. Over 100k miles on it and still going strong. I have 488 gears and I'm running 35's
You have any pictures of it?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I am looking into buying my first jeep and its going to be a 4dr 4wd automatic. I'd like to start with a lift kit between 3-6 inches, and a 33-35 tire, and of course gears. My questions are what lift kit company is gonna have the best "package" because this will also be a daily driver for me. I've heard great comments on and rock krawler. What gear ratio should I go to for the 33" and which one for the 35"? I would also like tone able to do the mirror relocation brackets, a front bumper, rear bumper, rocksliders, winch and a few fog lights. I want to stay under 7000 dollars for now, the bumpers and what not can come later if necessary. Thanks for the input and sorry for the typos if there is any, damn phone lol
That's a pretty wide range of possibilities. Some general information:

A 6" lift on a JK is entering the realm of the ridiculous, unless you're gonna drive over junkers at the local "Eve of Destruction" show at the racetrack. You can clear 35" tires with a 2.5" lift. You can clear 33" tires with nothing.

33" tires on a 3" lift will look like golf balls. On a 4" lift, like marbles, and on a 5" lift, like buttons. Anything higher and we're talkin grains of sand.

Once you get in the 3"+ range, you'll need adjustable trackbars and control arms, and will eventually need to replace your driveshafts. Depending on lift size you'll probably need to extend your brake lines and breather hoses, too.

For 35" tires you'll need a new tire carrier, and gussets (welded on) to reinforce your weak front axle C's. You also MIGHT have to trim your pinch seams, depending on lift kit and tires and how close they sit to the pinch seams after installation. Depending on your gear ratio and YM, you may need to regear.

Your gear ratio will depend on what YM Jeep you buy. The pre-'12s with the 3.8L engine need a lot more help than the Pentastar Jeeps. Other factors include where you live (mountains vs plains), what size tire you go with, and what type of driving you do (mostly city, mostly freeway, etc), and your transmission type (manual or auto).

For the most part, with a Pentastar Jeep you won't need to regear for 33" tires, even if you buy the dreaded 3.21-geared Jeep. I've got a manual '12 with 3.73 gears and 35's, and there's just BARELY not enough power in 6th gear to keep me happy. If I had 4.10 gears I wouldn't spend the $$ on a regear, but I don't, so I'm probably gonna go to 4.56 gears soon.

Lot more to think about than just lift and tires.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would upgrade to a smartphone or computer that would allow you to use the search function on this forum :)

Half kidding.... Your question seems to be very open ended and you're wanting things that 80% of Jeepers who mod want (and therefore discuss a lot on here).

RK 2.5 Max Travel is a damn hard kit to beat, and can be used with 33-35's no problem, even 37's if you push it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RattleDogUSA said:
I would upgrade to a smartphone or computer that would allow you to use the search function on this forum :)

Half kidding.... Your question seems to be very open ended and you're wanting things that 80% of Jeepers who mod want (and therefore discuss a lot on here).

RK 2.5 Max Travel is a damn hard kit to beat, and can be used with 33-35's no problem, even 37's if you push it.
Haha, i laughed a little bit at the first comment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts