Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are visiting MOAB currently, taking a JEEP rental on a sunset run. But I want to bring my 2010 JKU here.
Problem #1- 3.8L... I have BANKS cold air, ram air, monster exhaust and programmer.
Problem #2- Stock 2017 Rubicon rims w/BFG mud terrain.
Problem #3- Dana 30 up front.
I could probably do level 4 trails if very careful. But the dog 3.8 driving 1100 miles, just ain't like my Cummins.
Money is tight.
1-Any suggestions on improving drivability and power?.(super charger?)
2-Will these tires work in sand? (Sinking feeling )
3-Am I going to break it on the slick rocks? (Will I need lockers)
I spent 2 days now searching here for a MOAB Necessary equipment list, found some, but nothing with my limit ( $$ low)
Again, I'm happy staying on #2,#3,#4 trails , if my rig will get me home the way it sits.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I just drove my '08 1500 miles for a Moab trip. I have dual truetracs and would feel pretty comfortable on anything below a 7 up there (RR4W rating system). On cliffhanger I got high centered a few times cause my lift is only 2.5". How big are your tires? Below 35 and without lockers might be tough on a lot of trails

·
Registered
878 Posts
You will have no issues doing 4 or less rated trails with your current setup as long as you go easy on the skinny pedal. Most axle and driveshaft breakage I've seen was due to spinning the tires in the rocks and when they get wedged and stop - snap. Bouncing is also another reason for axle breakage and roll-overs. Just drive it responsibly and you'll be fine. I did it many years with a set-up similar to yours. My biggest problem was the drive over the Rockies with the 3.8 - thought it would blow up and couldn't keep up with traffic (even with a supercharger.)

I would recommend not wheeling by yourself and getting a winch for self recovery.

Reactions: FLEX B

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.. I figured the worst part would be the lack of power on the highway. Jeep are relatively capable out of the box. BTW my rental was a Rubicon w/lockers and disconnects. The sunset over MOAB last night was amazing

Reactions: FLEX B

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just drove my '08 1500 miles for a Moab trip. I have dual truetracs and would feel pretty comfortable on anything below a 7 up there (RR4W rating system). On cliffhanger I got high centered a few times cause my lift is only 2.5". How big are your tires? Below 35 and without lockers might be tough on a lot of trails
Stock take-offs from a 17 Rubi. I believe they r 31's. I have a cheap RoughCountry 2.5 lift and all the relocation brackets to make it highway safe. Thought I'd have another jeep by now for sporting around but kid is heading to college and I was less prepared than I thought. So this next trip will be me and him.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a lot of trails you can do around MOAB..... I wouldn't worry about it too much.... Get Guide to MOAB by Charles Wells if you haven't already....
I found a GPS chip for my Garmin. Comes with all back roads and a paperback guide too

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will have no issues doing 4 or less rated trails with your current setup as long as you go easy on the skinny pedal. Most axle and driveshaft breakage I've seen was due to spinning the tires in the rocks and when they get wedged and stop - snap. Bouncing is also another reason for axle breakage and roll-overs. Just drive it responsibly and you'll be fine. I did it many years with a set-up similar to yours. My biggest problem was the drive over the Rockies with the 3.8 - thought it would blow up and couldn't keep up with traffic (even with a supercharger.)

I would recommend not wheeling by yourself and getting a winch for self recovery.
The one improvement I have is a aluminium front bumper and getting a Waren winch. I also have a recovery kit with blocks and rock grapples. (Along with tree straps, but they won't help here lol)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I rarely get above idle in Moab. Power is completely unnecessary, traction and technique is key.
There are many great trails that you can do without breaking your stuff.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I found a GPS chip for my Garmin. Comes with all back roads and a paperback guide too
I definitely recommend the written guide books. It's nice to have the comments of experienced folks about the specific trails. I got mine less for the map and more for the recommendations and commentary about the specific trail.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Seven Mile Rim trail was one of my favorites.
When we first went to Moab we had a 2.5" spacer lift and stock tires, with the stock D30 (we did have the optional 3.73 gears). It was fine for most anything we were willing to try. We have been there a couple times since, each time showing up with a more capable Jeep (we keep improving our Jeep) and we are getting better at driving. But I would not hesitate to take a stock JK / JKU to Moab. Just drive it with some common sense and have fun.
We try to swing through the Ouray, Colorado area either going to or coming from Moab. There are some great trails in that area as well. And there are some good non-interstate ways to get there from Moab.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts