Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the very first thing you did to your jeep (other than drive it home)?

I feel like the first thing should be unique or even ceremonial.

I know I'll be putting a lot of stuff on. Well lot for me, not I'm sure compared to a lot of peoplle. But what should be the first?

Some thoughts; customized plates? Custom spare tire cover. MOPAR entry guards (they say jeep). Good, useful jeep key chain?

Or just jump in with whatever?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Congrats on your new jeep ..the very first thing i did was claybar the paint and wax it .im a little ocd .but some inexpensive mods that are great are the door sills they will get scuffed .the mopar gas door is a nice touch,gives is a finished look and keeps snow out.now i have an older model 2010 so my interior is different but I flipped the rear veiw mirror and removed the rear seat headrests at first then i just took the whole seat out .theres a thread on here for cheap mods .theres a lot of pages so be patient. Start off slow to see what you really need .the one thing that i would strongly recommend is changing your headlights out to either a h4 e-code lense or LED

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your new jeep ..the very first thing i did was claybar the paint and wax it .im a little ocd .but some inexpensive mods that are great are the door sills they will get scuffed .the mopar gas door is a nice touch,gives is a finished look and keeps snow out.now i have an older model 2010 so my interior is different but I flipped the rear veiw mirror and removed the rear seat headrests at first then i just took the whole seat out .theres a thread on here for cheap mods .theres a lot of pages so be patient. Start off slow to see what you really need .the one thing that i would strongly recommend is changing your headlights out to either a h4 e-code lense or LED
Cool...my jeep won't be here till next month (2016) but as I've made of list of things I want, was trying to come up with a "first" thing to do.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
The first real modification I did to my Jeep was to replace the awful headlights. Soon after I bought my Jeep, I went down a road in the country where there are no street lights. I was a little shocked to find that I had such a difficult time seeing where I was going due to the horrible stock headlights. I replaced them with an H4 set up and it is tremendously better than the stock headlights. And you can piece together an H4 setup on Amazon for about $125. That includes new Cibie reflectors, Philips bulbs, and H13 to H4 adapters.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dealer installed MOPAR stage 3 lift.

The first thing I did was the Dynomax Evo Comp exhaust. Thing was just too damn quiet stock!!!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
buy gas drinks & grub, then go have fun!

A fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and a CB will make you legit for any organized run.

Once the Mod bug bites, hang on tight, because it's a wild ride!

In the mean time enjoy it!
All the below and much more can be done in any stock Wrangler with limited experience, when traveling with a group of knowledgeable wheelers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Decent Tires. The stock Tires on my JKUS looked like something you might find on a crossover SUV. I went with the Duratracs in the stock size for 2 reasons - to avoid (for now) doing any suspension mods, but more importantly - the Duratracs are actually a bit narrower than the stock tires - this vehicle will be my daily driver through a northern Minnesota winter and a narrower tire will work better in the snow.

Since then, I have added rock rails and mud flaps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first things I did was a spare tire lock, the Bolt, just to protect it from thrives. Then, just installed GraBars last weekend. So much easier entry now. I have a dining room full of parts, just need some powder coated and some installed (lights, grill guard, cold air intake, hood latches to stop the hood flutter). Leveling kit ordered yesterday thanks to my hubs. Waiting patiently, but I haven't even made the second payment yet!

·
Registered
61 Posts
First thing I did was use the bolts from my Jeep Patriot to install the license plates.... The patriot was my first jeep brand vehicle and I wanted something to transfer over....

Then I installed a hitch, and took the hard top off.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
First thing you or anyone should do is get under it with a hammer and whack the bottom of the jeep a couple times to get the first dent in right away. That way when you get a scratch or little dent offroad it won't be that big a deal.

·
Registered
832 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm awaiting delivery of my 2015 Tank Willys JKU and I have a Teraflex Leveling Kit (budget boost) and 2inch wheel spacers on their way from Amazon. And a set of black lug nuts (odd they use chrome lug nuts on the black wheels).

Oh and a green Jeep belt buckle. Total cost $332 before shipping. Winning

·
Registered
121 Posts
What was the very first thing you did to your jeep (other than drive it home)?

I have Gorilla lug-nut locks. The key is a larger socket size than the JEEP lugs. So I installed the locks, and also new lug nuts of the same size as the key.

I feel like the first thing should be unique or even ceremonial.

Ceremonial? Take the family out for a short drive, and end it at the DQ for ice cream.

I know I'll be putting a lot of stuff on. Well lot for me, not I'm sure compared to a lot of peoplle. But what should be the first?

After adding the wheel locks etc, I drilled and tapped the spare and added two more studs and lug nuts. I have lost a lug nut in the sand before. Now I have spares.

First big mod I did was to replace the stock headlights. I installed the Petersen LED lights. Wow. I mean -- WOW! I often run with my headlights on in the day, for safety. Every now and then I will run the high-beams. That always gets someone to flash me. Even in the bright noon-time sun in west Texas, those Petersen LED lights are BRIGHT! You will need a skinny T-15 Torx to do this.

Some thoughts; customized plates? Custom spare tire cover. MOPAR entry guards (they say jeep). Good, useful jeep key chain?

I am a ham radio operator. My license plate is my call sign.

Or just jump in with whatever?
Good luck!

Mike -- El Paso.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
grill inserts, sill protectors, grab handles, shorty antenna, keep in mind these are just "gateway" mods, ones where you are actually frugal with the cash outlay. Soon after buying your first set of springs you will be buying trackbars, control arms, discos, $600 seat covers, 35s, with reckless abandon, so get what you want from the get go.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts