Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know...... Not another oil change topic! I just hit 2700 miles on my 2015 JK. I wanted to get my first oil change before I hit 3000 miles. I have always changed oil myself but the dealer gives me 4 free oil changes. I called to make an appointment and the service manager said to call back in two weeks because they are really busy with all the snowbirds (I live in Florida). I put about 150 miles a week on my Jeep and in two weeks will have over 3000 miles. I told me wife I was going to park the Jeep in the garage for two weeks and drive my truck until I can get the oil changed. She thinks I am being anal since the oil life still says I have 60%+ oil life left. I guess I am old school and have always changed my oil on a new vehicles before 2000 miles. I was trying to be less "anal" this time and wait until 3000 miles. Should I just drive it and not worry about it? I know many people go over 3000 miles before the first change but I am just not built that way! Dad was always a stickler about oil changes.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Drive it...that old school sh*t is out the window with todays tech. If your wheeling it and getting dirty and beat up, maybe a bit sooner but...don't even sweat it. I change every 4500-5k on mine...never, ever had a problem and the oil is usually pretty clean. Don't even worry about it...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Drive it...that old school sh*t is out the window with todays tech. If your wheeling it and getting dirty and beat up, maybe a bit sooner but...don't even sweat it. I change every 4500-5k on mine...never, ever had a problem and the oil is usually pretty clean. Don't even worry about it...
Agreed.

Or just shit can the free oil change coupons and do it yourself. The JK is probably the easiest vehicle to do oil changes in. It's so quick, I would rather do it myself than deal with the knuckle heads at the dealer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Agreed.

Or just shit can the free oil change coupons and do it yourself. The JK is probably the easiest vehicle to do oil changes in. It's so quick, I would rather do it myself than deal with the knuckle heads at the dealer.
Indeed. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but I changed my oil in my new jeep a couple weeks ago. I was amazed at how easy it was.

·
Registered
202 Posts
been an ASE mechanic (own my own repair shop) for 30 years. I'm am an old school 3,000 mile guy. That being said 5,000 is the new 3,000 and that's what I not only do with my own Jeep but most my customers vehicles too. I will occasionally do it sooner if I'm gonna tow any distance or do a lot of weekend wheeling.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Drive it. There's nothing wrong with doing your first oil change at 3,000. I did mine at 1,500, but that's me. Some do it sooner, some later. I would get on a good schedule whatever you decide and stay with it unless there's a severe duty issue along the way.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
Should I just drive it and not worry about it? I know many people go over 3000 miles before the first change but I am just not built that way! Dad was always a stickler about oil changes.
I must be even more old school. I always do the first oil change at 1,000 miles, including on our 2013 Wrangler. I used to work in a Chrysler assembly plant and those places are not exactly an operating room clean environment.

Anyway, your owner's manual says you'll be OK. If there is ever a warranty issue related to your oil change intervals you have the official documentation to support you.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Here is the best of both worlds answer:

Go ahead and do your 3000 mile change Yourself... ( EZ is an understatement) then...

Use your Dealer "Freebies" every 5000 miles thereafter. 8k,13k,18k and 23k.
Scedule your appts (in advance) based on your 150 a/wk calc. and you should be good.
WaLa - Problem solved.

Note: Keep a maintenance logbook in your glove box with the receipts of purchased oil and filters. Include date/mileage/servce performed in the log book.
That along with your receipts and you'll never have a probem.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you planned on dumping the oil early I would have done it at 1000 miles. Now that you're at 2700 miles, drive it to 3000 it won't matter a bit. I'd shit can the free oil changes too. I don't have to the time to wait around a dealership for them to change the oil. Or worse have them screw something up, like a stripped drain plug or causing a screw up with the oil filter canister/cooler assembly.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Problem I have with oil changes whether Free or not is,
- You get what you pay for. Literally, the oil You want, the Filter and the quality of the work.
- I let my oil drain until the drips stop. Do you think they will? of course not.
- I know EVERTHING gets done. Drainage, Torque, residue wiped off, things inspected, gaskets changed, crush washer changed, NOTHING cross-threaded OR tightened too much. etc.
AND
It gets done when I want it done with no waiting. Is there Beer in their waiting room? I think not. When do you go? Lunch, after work, Saturday morning..... to save $30?
No Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I did my very first one at 1000 since it was free. The free oil changes are in the system under your vin so you can use other jeep dealerships. I normally just on a Saturday for oil changes

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I'm old school too. I believe that first oil change on a new engine is crucial. It's the same with a remanufactured engine, or a rebuilt engine. The engine settles and kicks off small burrs and metal fragments. I didn't do it once, at the specified time, and ruined a rebuilt engine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
- You get what you pay for. Literally, the oil You want, the Filter and the quality of the work.
- I let my oil drain until the drips stop. Do you think they will? of course not.
- I know EVERTHING gets done. Drainage, Torque, residue wiped off, things inspected, gaskets changed, crush washer changed, NOTHING cross-threaded OR tightened too much. etc.
AND
It gets done when I want it done with no waiting. Is there Beer in their waiting room? I think not. When do you go? Lunch, after work, Saturday morning..... to save $30?
No Thanks.
That's what my father taught me growing up. I watched him and my uncle re-build engines, outboard motors, you name it. They took pride in what they did, and would never go to a shop. I wish I would have learned more from them, but whenever I go back home and they're working on something, I'm hands on learnin.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
That's what my father taught me growing up. I watched him and my uncle re-build engines, outboard motors, you name it. They took pride in what they did, and would never go to a shop. I wish I would have learned more from them, but whenever I go back home and they're working on something, I'm hands on learnin.
Smart move. Learn as much as you can and do everything they will let you with your own hands.
You can't buy that kind of time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AND
No Thanks.
I agree with all of this. The only car I ever paid to have the oil changed in was my '95 Trans Am. I would have changed the oil in it as well but it was so low to the ground, I couldn't get underneath the car! I have a 2005 Ram Pickup that I bought new and I am the only one that every changed the oil on the truck. I just figured since I have 4 free oil changes at the dealer, I would use them. Plus, that was I am in the system showing I got the oil changed at certain intervals.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the best of both worlds answer:

Go ahead and do your 3000 mile change Yourself... ( EZ is an understatement) then...

Use your Dealer "Freebies" every 5000 miles thereafter. 8k,13k,18k and 23k.
Scedule your appts (in advance) based on your 150 a/wk calc. and you should be good.
WaLa - Problem solved.

Note: Keep a maintenance logbook in your glove box with the receipts of purchased oil and filters. Include date/mileage/servce performed in the log book.
That along with your receipts and you'll never have a probem.
Dealer freebies have to be used during the first 2 years of ownership. I am on track to only put about 6500-7000 miles a year on the jeep so I'd have to get the oil changed every 3000 miles or so anyway to use the freebies.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Here is the best of both worlds answer: Go ahead and do your 3000 mile change Yourself... ( EZ is an understatement) then... Use your Dealer "Freebies" every 5000 miles thereafter. 8k,13k,18k and 23k. Scedule your appts (in advance) based on your 150 a/wk calc. and you should be good. WaLa - Problem solved. Note: Keep a maintenance logbook in your glove box with the receipts of purchased oil and filters. Include date/mileage/servce performed in the log book. That along with your receipts and you'll never have a probem.
Bingo!

I'm still old school on the first oil change and like to get it by around 2000 and can go up to 5000 after that. The tolerances are better and the quality of the oil is also much better. I do some of my own and have some done for me when I need the convenience.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts