Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

Just did the first oil change on my new 2015 JKU and I have a question about the filter.

The filter I took out would rotate and lock in place - actually lock is kind of a strong word - it didn't click or anything it just stayed put when you flipped it over.

The new filter, a Purolator that I got at Advanced Auto parts would not lock - it just kept turning without locking. I had to hold it as I flipped the cap over and put it back on. Also, I double checked the part number - it's the right one (as listed in their system anyway).

Should I be worried? I can put the old one back on there temporarily until I order a genuine Mopar, or is it all right to drive for a few days until this new filter comes in?

Thanks,

Steve in CT

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't remember the filter "locking" but once you insert the filter into its metal canister you hear a click sound and that's about it, close the top, turn DONE!

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
The filter does not "click" in. more of a slide over the nipple, on the inside of the cap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, on the old one you could feel it slide over the nipple, and when you turned over the cap, the filter would stay attached to the cap. I could never get the filter to attach to the cap. Filter look like the one pictured.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
Yes, on the old one you could feel it slide over the nipple, and when you turned over the cap, the filter would stay attached to the cap. I could never get the filter to attach to the cap. Filter look like the one pictured.
run a dab of clean oil on the inside rim of the filter, and see if that helps. Some can be tighter than others. No other way to say it. Haha.

·
Retired Moderator
100,618 Posts
2014FILTERvrs2013 oil filters.jpg

^^^The filter on the left is for the 2013 and prior 3.6 engine. That design, snaps into the oil filter housing cap.
The one on the right, is for the 2014 through 2016. That nipple fits into the canister housing.
As already mentioned, put plenty of oil on the O'ring and torque to 18 ft. lbs.
Do not over tighten the cap. If you do over tighten, it may crack the housing and then you will have a serious oil leak..FYI

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FWIW, replaced the Purolator filter with a genuine Mopar. The Purolator I pulled out was saturated with oil, so I'm assuming it would have worked fine. The only difference is that b/c it doesn't attach to the cap, it didn't come off with the cap, and you have to pull it off.

Mopar clicks into the cap and now I can sleep at night lol...

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
FWIW, replaced the Purolator filter with a genuine Mopar. The Purolator I pulled out was saturated with oil, so I'm assuming it would have worked fine. The only difference is that b/c it doesn't attach to the cap, it didn't come off with the cap, and you have to pull it off.

Yes. They give a reassuring tactile "click" feel. Now, when you change your oil next time the filter will come out when you remove the cap.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You need to read the thread about the guy who used an aftermarket oil filter that failed. Which caused the engine to fail. Which FCA did not want to replace under warranty. Mopar oil filters are cheap and will save you a lot of hassle if you ever run into an engine problem. If you don't want to go to the dealer, buy on line.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts

You need to read the thread about the guy who used an aftermarket oil filter that failed. Which caused the engine to fail. Which FCA did not want to replace under warranty. Mopar oil filters are cheap and will save you a lot of hassle if you ever run into an engine problem. If you don't want to go to the dealer, buy on line.
:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Been a while since I read that thread. I do remember thereading being an issue with some small part that may or may not have been installed correctly. Hmm, maybe it was a small spring?

My big takeaway was that changing the filter is a bit tricky, certainly much more so that the simple screw on can type I had in an old Ford truck.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Don't know what the Mopar cost you but I get Wicks for under $7.00

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Don't know what the Mopar cost you but I get Wicks for under $7.00
Mopar can be had for about that - Keeping things simple (not that easy on this Forum)

BUY and USE Mopar Filters or DIE! There :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mopar can be had for about that - Keeping things simple (not that easy on this Forum)

BUY and USE Mopar Filters or DIE! There :)
Sorry, gotta go with Wicks, I believe they are better quality..
:bop:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tell that to FCA if you ever have a warranty issue with the engine and they discover that you did not use a genuine Mopar filter.
So your telling me Wicks doesn't meet Mopar standards?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts